E Fife Away

westertonjagfan

That was poor tonight. Very very poor. If we hadn't salvaged a point I would be questioning if McCall should still be on charge for Saturday's game.

Sena had a shocker and the sort of performance that can cause long term damage to a young player. Williamson too was a liability. Sneddon didn't inspire any great degree of confidence.

I thought in Rudden we had signed a finisher but the sitters he missed against Airdrie coupled with the chances he squandered tonight have made me think that he is actually a dud.

Cardle made a big difference but he does usually provide more value coming on a sub when defenders are tired and he gets a bit more space. He struggles to make that impact when starting games but he will probably have to start against Peterhead.

So god knows what we players and formation we pick for the game on Saturday. There are way more players that shouldn't start than should start.

Clutching at straws but does anyone know why Blair Lyons isn't at least making the bench?

5 minutes ago, ironfist said:

Completely agree we are a poor team in a poor league. What is frustrating though is that after a good result away at airdrie we had the chance to build confidence and momentum against Forfar and we blew it. Confidence is key, but right now we have a lot of overpaid underperforming footballers 

I think it's easier to build confidence when you're not making wholesale changes after a good win. Regardless, what's rather sad is we needed confidence and momentum to win a game against Forfar at Firhill in the first place. 

McCall's taking a load of stick these days. He's certainly done nothing recently to warrant anything else. Even so the players that started tonight should've been able to work it out themselves so to speak. Hardly a young starting eleven that lacked experience. Turned on its head if we had won the game convincingly I wouldn't exactly have been shouting McCall's praises from the rooftops.

21 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

So, we manage to scrape into the promotion play-offs. In League One. Does anybody think we would achieve promotion?

Doubtful when you look at the following! 

We have 4 must win games - Clyde and Montrose at home and Peterhead and Dumbarton away. 

The only comfort is that Falkirk  Cove and Montrose have a very tricky run of fixtures.  Airdrie's fixtures are slightly easier by comparison! 

Assuming we can at least finish 4th we will face a two legged tie against either Ayr,  Arbroath or Morton  then a two legged tie against either Cove, Montrose or Airdrie. 

If we make the play-off stages and that's no certainty I would prefer not to finish 4th!!

Alloa are IMO definitely relegated. Given their outstanding fixture it would take a miracle for them to stay up! 

Can we win 4 consecutive games? 

Having supported Thistle for 55 years i have seen us been very unlucky against a lot of teams, so i will not be feeling sorry for East Fife. I am in no way sticking up for the team or management because any team that was any way half decent would have this league wrapped up by now. To say that McCall's tenure this time around has been poor is a understatement. But we have to hope that we do manage to get promotion and take it from there. As i have said on a number of occasions if we are not in the championship next season, McCall should not be our manager. Interesting to look at Pie and Bovril, not many are happy with their manager at other clubs in our league, including the one we were up against tonight.

• Like 1

After match comments from IM here.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-match-reaction/managers-reaction-ian-mccall-6th-april-2021/

He seems to be patting himself on back regards subs.  Mckenna ‘great’ Cardle ‘terrific’ yet strangely only criticism is for Tiffoney who rescued point and has been one of our better performers since joining.

We scraped out of this league all those years ago with a fortunate victory over Peterhead. I’d be happy to repeat this, then build next season.

Of course we are not a good team but neither are any of our opponents and the teams at the foot of the Championship aren’t any better (Clyde beat Ayr). So, thinking logically, we have a good chance of promotion.

McCall’s position can be considered at the end of the season no matter where we end up.

It’s like a hot knife through butter looking at our fragile back line - any thoughts of success via playoffs to the championship are entirely fanciful where with the same squad wed get mauled on a weekly basis - to the glass half fullers, I raise my hauf empty glass - slàinte! :cheers:

39 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

It’s like a hot knife through butter looking at our fragile back line - any thoughts of success via playoffs to the championship are entirely fanciful where with the same squad wed get mauled on a weekly basis - to the glass half fullers, I raise my hauf empty glass - slàinte! :cheers:

Prior to the jn called for  suspension of the lower leagues our defence was rock solid. It was our ineffective midfield and non-existing attack that attracted criticism. Now we are scoring a few goals our defence is weak! So I ask what's changed? 

Just watched the highlights. Somebody mentioned that it was like a knife through butter when East Fife went at our central defence, and for the first half at least that sums it up perfectly. Having said that, Senna didn't seem to do too much wrong; the ball can hit anybody's hand at close range like that. But we are still slow in our build-ups, though both Penrice and Cardle definitely injected more pace and trickery in the 2nd half.

Also a word for Sneddon, it didn't look to me like he was at fault for either goal, and with a bit of luck might even have stopped them both. A couple of very good saves when the defence crumbled in front of him again. 

McKenna: looks like a good player. 

Rudden: he's lively enough, and it would be great to see him start scoring. But how long is that going to take?

When it comes to football, history has taught me to be a glass half empty character.  However, somehow I still think we can get promoted!! 

the logic?  No one else is winning games. We are capable of playing better whilst most of the others around us are not  

now I know we have been honking , but I can’t see any of the potential teams that we would play that we couldn’t beat over two legs if we find just a little form and have the right attitude. 

I will revert to glass half empty mode if they let me down over the next ten days.  Surely Clyde will be knackered playing us after a run of  sat tues thurs sat tues.   surely that’s 3 points  in a league of so many draws a few wins change everything.  

9 hours ago, elevenone said:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-match-reaction/managers-reaction-ian-mccall-6th-april-2021/

He seems to be patting himself on back regards subs.  Mckenna ‘great’ Cardle ‘terrific’ yet strangely only criticism is for Tiffoney who rescued point and has been one of our better performers since joining.

Bit selective .....he said we were very very poor in the first half and defensively all over the place .....and rightly bemoaned the missed chances once again 

rudden is clearly just not a goal scorer 

36 minutes ago, jaf said:

When it comes to football, history has taught me to be a glass half empty character.  However, somehow I still think we can get promoted!! 

the logic?  No one else is winning games. We are capable of playing better whilst most of the others around us are not  

now I know we have been honking , but I can’t see any of the potential teams that we would play that we couldn’t beat over two legs if we find just a little form and have the right attitude. 

I will revert to glass half empty mode if they let me down over the next ten days.  Surely Clyde will be knackered playing us after a run of  sat tues thurs sat tues.   surely that’s 3 points  in a league of so many draws a few wins change everything.  

Problem is that it is 2019 since we last won 2 games in a row. Drawing won't be good enough in play-offs

While there may be no teams that we couldn't beat over two legs, there are none that I'd be confident couldn't beat us

If we do get promoted by some fluke, it won't take away from what has been a totally retched season. After last night, there is no way back for McCall and his cronies

10 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

We scraped out of this league all those years ago with a fortunate victory over Peterhead.

Correct, lest we forget. We were, by and large, dreadful that season under Dick Campbell (and let's not forget, he got us relegated to Division 2 the previous season, with probably still the worst Thistle team I have ever seen). Off the top of my head - at Firhill, 0-3 v Stirling Albion & Gretna, 0-6 v Gretna at Firhill...I'm thinking players like Darren Brady, Mark McChrystal, Willie Kinniburgh, Jimmy Gibson...

Boab McCulloch battered in a few free kicks, but Mark Roberts almost single-handedly dragged us to promotion that season...and apart from that, it was rubbish. But we slithered out of there in the end...

33 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Problem is that it is 2019 since we last won 2 games in a row. Drawing won't be good enough in play-offs

While there may be no teams that we couldn't beat over two legs, there are none that I'd be confident couldn't beat us

If we do get promoted by some fluke, it won't take away from what has been a totally retched season. After last night, there is no way back for McCall and his cronies

It certainly has been wretched and that's McCall's responsibility. But IF we do get promoted (like you I can't see it) then that's McCall's get of jail card. The board won't pay him off if he takes us back into the Championship, even though it would be merely taking us back to where he started. They will use covid early end of season as mitigating circumstances. Indeed I'm not convinced the board would sack him if we failed to get promotion this season, but I'll put that thought aside until we finish stumbling through to the end of this season.. 

6 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Boab McCulloch battered in a few free kicks, but Mark Roberts almost single-handedly dragged us to promotion that season...and apart from that, it was rubbish. But we slithered out of there in the end...

Was just going to raise that very point. I'd also add I felt there was a decent level of team spirit about that squad. Undoubtedly too many poor footballers but they did try hard.

10 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

It certainly has been wretched and that's McCall's responsibility. But IF we do get promoted (like you I can't see it) then that's McCall's get of jail card. The board won't pay him off if he takes us back into the Championship, even though it would be merely taking us back to where he started. They will use covid early end of season as mitigating circumstances. Indeed I'm not convinced the board would sack him if we failed to get promotion this season, but I'll put that thought aside until we finish stumbling through to the end of this season.. 

I welcomed McCall's appointment and have supported him. However recently I have had serious doubts for a number of reasons including  the wisdom of the wholesale changes he has been making from game to game. The impact of this strategy on momentum has been previously discussed. 

I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if the Board has failed to recognise that change is needed. Either way promotion or remaining in League 1 presents an opportunity for change. I agree its unlikely  McCall will be sacked and I am OK with this.  I believe he still has much to offer but not as Manager. We should take the opportunity to create a more streamlined and accountable management structure which I outlined in previous posts, and I stress, including a new, young manager appointed from outwith the Partick Thistle Family! 

Getting the Football side of our club sorted out is a huge job, especially all aspects of the Academy, Recruitment, Contracts etc! Even prior to our relegation from the PL much of the above under Archibald was shambolic and appears to be still a problem if performances this season are any indication. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, milhouse said:

Correct, lest we forget. We were, by and large, dreadful that season under Dick Campbell (and let's not forget, he got us relegated to Division 2 the previous season, with probably still the worst Thistle team I have ever seen). Off the top of my head - at Firhill, 0-3 v Stirling Albion & Gretna, 0-6 v Gretna at Firhill...I'm thinking players like Darren Brady, Mark McChrystal, Willie Kinniburgh, Jimmy Gibson...

Willie Kinniburgh was signed on loan from Motherwell by Ian McCall in late 2007 before signing for Thistle permanently in 2008. He had absolutely no association with Thistle whatsoever when it was managed by Dick Campbell.

4 hours ago, jaf said:

It's a sad reflection on our club that we're hoping a part-time team is knackered when they play us.

14 hours ago, elevenone said:

Yeah, I thought that was pretty unfair towards Tiffoney-he'll obviously read that-not exactly good man management.

Ian McCall in Scottish footballing terms is a total dinosaur who doesn't realise that football has moved on a lot since 2004. You can see that in how we play against the part-time sides in our own division. As one of only two FT sides, we have only won 1/3rd of our matches this season.