Peterhead away

exiledjag

Some big results in the last few days. East Fife losing to Dumbarton, Montrose drawing with Airdrie and a good 3 points for us today.

I think it means that a win against Clyde secures a top 5 place. Also I think wins against Clyde and Montrose makes it really difficult to see how we don't at least finish in a playoff spot because all those around us have to play each other in the last 2 games. Falkirk and Cove will be in the top 5 and probably the playoffs.

If we can take 6 or 7 points from our last 3 fixtures we should be in the running for the league title.

The top 5 split games against Falkirk and Cove are going to be huge.  Squeaky bum time is fast approaching.

If we win our two matches midweek (ok, I’m being optimistic) then we are 1 point behind Falkirk and 2 ahead of Cove since neither of them play until Saturday... when they play each other.... so a massive incentive for us to put pressure on both teams...

we’ve scored 11 in the last 4 so appear to have resolved our goal scoring problems and if we can keep it as tight as yesterday  then we might finally hit form at the right time.... although the recent performances against E Fife and Forfar are still vivid.... 

But if we do start breathing down Falkirk and Cove necks it will be interesting to see if someone’s bottle cracks... especially Falkirk who have led for such a long time in a fragmented season and who must “expect” to finish first 

• Like 1

Lets not get carried away, it was a good result and  (first 20 minutes excluded) a decent performance. However this team has kicked us in the bum too many times to be talking about league titles. One step at a time and 3 points will (I think) guarantee top 5 and take relegation playoff out of the game. Clyde are not going to roll over and it is a long time since we last won 2 league games on the spin.

Tiffoney is the new Scott McDonald

59 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Lets not get carried away, it was a good result and  (first 20 minutes excluded) a decent performance. However this team has kicked us in the bum too many times to be talking about league titles. One step at a time and 3 points will (I think) guarantee top 5 and take relegation playoff out of the game. Clyde are not going to roll over and it is a long time since we last won 2 league games on the spin.

Tiffoney is the new Scott McDonald

For me the key is midfield .If the Doc continues to improve in partnership with Banzo aided with a competent back four and goalie we’ll be ok .

This should be the stage of the season where our full time status and larger squad should really benefit us. 

We've seen as the games play out a lot of these teams come out the traps flying but after half time they fall away massively and we end up dominating. Had the East Fife game gone on for another ten mins I think we'd have won. 

The key will be making sure not to concede any stupid early goals which has proved to be a problem of late. If we can do that on Tuesday and Thursday I think we'll win both games. 

Can see us making a couple of changes for Tuesday night and the same for Thursday. Keep things fresh, but not too many to disrupt the momentum 

59 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

This should be the stage of the season where our full time status and larger squad should really benefit us. 

We've seen as the games play out a lot of these teams come out the traps flying but after half time they fall away massively and we end up dominating. Had the East Fife game gone on for another ten mins I think we'd have won. 

The key will be making sure not to concede any stupid early goals which has proved to be a problem of late. If we can do that on Tuesday and Thursday I think we'll win both games. 

Can see us making a couple of changes for Tuesday night and the same for Thursday. Keep things fresh, but not too many to disrupt the momentum 

Agree. Your first sentence and last sentence are connected. Other teams may be either forced into changes they don't want to make or more likely have to persist with fielding players who'll struggle with 90mins. We should be able to get by with minimal changes.   Of course with 5 subs, in theory at least, no outfield player will require to play 180 minutes. What naturally would help would be winning the game early like yesterday and using the bench in a more relaxed manner.

It's gotta be said tho' we've often looked more like a part time side than our opponents. Hopefully we're now beginning to see that reversed. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Here we go. Cup games postponed to Tuesday which results in our final league games being delayed and no extra 4 games after the split. Then, because not enough games have been played, playoffs are cancelled. You can see it coming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56705502

That is probably what will happen. It is obvious that the gamEd get moved to either Friday or Sunday, with no real impact on the rest of the schedule 

9 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

If we win our two matches midweek (ok, I’m being optimistic) then we are 1 point behind Falkirk and 2 ahead of Cove since neither of them play until Saturday... when they play each other.... so a massive incentive for us to put pressure on both teams...

we’ve scored 11 in the last 4 so appear to have resolved our goal scoring problems and if we can keep it as tight as yesterday  then we might finally hit form at the right time.... although the recent performances against E Fife and Forfar are still vivid.... 

But if we do start breathing down Falkirk and Cove necks it will be interesting to see if someone’s bottle cracks... especially Falkirk who have led for such a long time in a fragmented season and who must “expect” to finish first 

We are now at the business end of the season! Of the top 4 teams we appear to have the 'easiest' fixtures with our main opponents all facing tricky games. 

Falkirk - Cove (A) Peterhead (A) 

Cove - Falkirk (H) Montrose (A) 

Jags - Clyde (H) Montrose (H) Dumbarton (A) 

Montrose - Jags (A)  Cove (H) 

Potential for lots twists and turns in these fixtures. 

Our fixtures include two teams who are in  8th & 9th places in the table. My two main concerns are:

- our home record

- we are PTFC and always do it the hard way!!! 

23 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

We are now at the business end of the season! Of the top 4 teams we appear to have the 'easiest' fixtures with our main opponents all facing tricky games. 

Our fixtures include two teams who are in  8th & 9th places in the table. My two main concerns are:

- our home record

Falkirk to lose at Cove, win at Peterhead 

Cove to beat Falkirk, lose at Montrose 

Thistle.. Who really knows?

Montrose - At Thistle..who knows?  To beat Cove.

57 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Here we go. Cup games postponed to Tuesday which results in our final league games being delayed and no extra 4 games after the split. Then, because not enough games have been played, playoffs are cancelled. You can see it coming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56705502

Move the games to a 12 o’clock kick off the same as they did for Diana’s funeral

37 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Move the games to a 12 o’clock kick off the same as they did for Diana’s funeral

I'm sure the English games are just being moved from 3pm to 7pm on the Saturday so would assume that the same will happen with the Scottish games. 

Some games may be moved to the Sunday at a push. 

46 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Falkirk to lose at Cove, win at Peterhead 

Cove to beat Falkirk, lose at Montrose 

Thistle.. Who really knows?

Montrose - At Thistle..who knows?  To beat Cove.

That makes Falkirk league leaders after 18 games with 34 points. The maximum number of points we can reach is 33!

Left to McLennan and Doncaster that's the play-off stage cancelled!! 

Sorry just being cynical and assuming we can even win 4 games in succession counting yesterday! 

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

- our home record

You missed out on "every game is a cup final from here on in".   :)

33 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Every game is a must win from now on. 

Possibly not. A couple of scenarios (no doubt there are more):

(a) Last game of the top 5. We are already at least 4 points ahead of every other team. We can happily lose 10-0.

(b) Last game of the top 5. We cannot get into first place, but we cannot fall lower than 4th place. Game is not "must win" as all our result (win, lose or draw) may do is influence which team we face in the first play off round. Possibly in that circumstance winning may not be the best outcome, as it may pit us against a stronger/more in form team than we would face if we lost or drew.

52 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Possibly not. A couple of scenarios (no doubt there are more):

(a) Last game of the top 5. We are already at least 4 points ahead of every other team. We can happily lose 10-0.

(b) Last game of the top 5. We cannot get into first place, but we cannot fall lower than 4th place. Game is not "must win" as all our result (win, lose or draw) may do is influence which team we face in the first play off round. Possibly in that circumstance winning may not be the best outcome, as it may pit us against a stronger/more in form team than we would face if we lost or drew.

Hats off to guys who can work through all the possible permutations.

Would it be accurate to say that to have any chance of finishing in first place, every game from now is a must-win game?

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

I haven't been able to discern precisely what happens when we don't win a 'must win' game. Anyone?

You never really know if a game is must win until after the other results are in.

Yesterday, as it turned out, was a must win.

If we're looking to win the league, I'd say 2 of the next 3 games are must win regardless of other results.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Would it be accurate to say that to have any chance of finishing in first place, every game from now is a must-win game?

Again, assuming we play into the split, my gut feeling tells me that wouldn't be the case. But in that scenario, just who we drop points too would become increasingly more important.