Double header at Firhill, Clyde and Montrose

Auld Jag

Been a while since i started a match thread. Thought with us playing 2 games in 3 days might as well make it one post. For the Clyde game if everybody is fit i would start with the same team that started yesterday, only doubt would be if Wright was fit. Clyde have played a number of games over the past week or so and we need to take advantage of that and get an early lead and then look to add to it. Hard to say anything about the starting team for the Montrose game because a lot will depend on what happens in the Clyde game. 

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Been a while since i started a match thread. Thought with us playing 2 games in 3 days might as well make it one post. For the Clyde game if everybody is fit i would start with the same team that started yesterday, only doubt would be if Wright was fit. Clyde have played a number of games over the past week or so and we need to take advantage of that and get an early lead and then look to add to it. Hard to say anything about the starting team for the Montrose game because a lot will depend on what happens in the Clyde game. 

Admiring your thread thrift. If you were Bobby Houston, you would have started at least two threads per match, not to mention telling us about your planned cargo.

I think that you are right about the starting XI. The only question (which I am not qualified to answer) is whether Joe Cardle would be able to start 3 games in succession, and there may be some merit in keeping him on the bench for impact use. 

If Clyde have been playing through a glut of fixtures and I must be honest and admit to not paying too much attention to them, them we must try and run them off their feet! 

The way to do that is to play at a high tempo, pass the ball forward  quickly (not just hump high balls to Graham) and play Lyons and use his pace. 

In summary try to pass our way through the Clyde midfield and defence with precise and effective passing and good off the ball movement. 

Easy really, Man City do it every week even when they lose! 

17 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Admiring your thread thrift. If you were Bobby Houston, you would have started at least two threads per match, not to mention telling us about your planned cargo.

I think that you are right about the starting XI. The only question (which I am not qualified to answer) is whether Joe Cardle would be able to start 3 games in succession, and there may be some merit in keeping him on the bench for impact use. 

Clyde games cargo is being purchased at 11 the morra morning 

Will update you Wednesday when I’m going for the Montrose cargo 

15 hours ago, exiledjag said:

If Clyde have been playing through a glut of fixtures and I must be honest and admit to not paying too much attention to them, them we must try and run them off their feet! 

The way to do that is to play at a high tempo, pass the ball forward  quickly (not just hump high balls to Graham) and play Lyons and use his pace. 

In summary try to pass our way through the Clyde midfield and defence with precise and effective passing and good off the ball movement. 

Easy really, Man City do it every week even when they lose! 

Why play Lyons? He's done nothing of note yet to show he's good enough

20 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Strongest thing in our fridge to drink is orange and  peach flavoured water, don't think that counts as a cargo. But i will raise a virtual glass to yourself, every other Thistle supporter and anybody else with any connection to Thistle.  :cheers: :fan:

16 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Strongest thing in our fridge to drink is orange and  peach flavoured water, don't think that counts as a cargo. But i will raise a virtual glass to yourself, every other Thistle supporter and anybody else with any connection to Thistle.  :cheers: :fan:

Orange and peach is the new red and yellow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Let's also hope that people do you the courtesy of posting on the thread you have started, and you are not left talking to yourself (peaching to the converted?).

Thanks ptd. The thread covers the Montrose game as well. So i will start that game off. I thought Tiffoney looked out on his feet by the end of tonight's game, but i am not sure that we can afford not to start with him on Thursday. 

36 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Thanks ptd. The thread covers the Montrose game as well. So i will start that game off. I thought Tiffoney looked out on his feet by the end of tonight's game, but i am not sure that we can afford not to start with him on Thursday. 

He tired in the second half and the changes came at the right time for us.

1 day off and then back to it. Time for the players to dig in and treat Thursday like a cup final.

Up The Jags.

Will be interesting to see how Montrose approach this game, they probably need something  out of the game to keep in with a chance of being in the top 5. They have us and then Cove on Tuesday so a couple of tough games for them. If they were to beat us tomorrow they would all but guarantee a place in the top 5 and they may go all out for this and they make the changes for the cup game at the weekend.

As for us I think we may need to make a couple of changes, I thought both Graham and Tiffoney looked as if they were running on empty for the last 10-15 minutes. I can't see Docherty being able to start another game after playing 90 mins yesterday. He may look for Tiffoney so start and give us 60-70 mins and then change it up, and with Rudden getting a couple of goals last night it would probably be a good idea to start him ahead of Graham.

Hopefully we can get away without making too many changes, we're hitting a bit of form and getting the makings of a settled team.

I wonder how they will determine the fixtures post split, I assume that they would (ideally for the SPFL) just mirror the fixtures that we were supposed to have in the third round of fixtures that were originally scheduled but that could cause issues with numbers of home games I think depending on the mix up.

As it stands at the moment we would have games v Falkirk, Cove, Airdrie and Montrose. in a the 27 game season we were due to play Falkirk at Home, Cove Away, Airdrie Home and Montrose Away i think so that would work in well and would (again i think) work in well for everyone else also.

If, however, East Fife were to finish 5th at the expense of Montrose then we would be due to play them at Home which would give us 3 home games and 1 away game. I don't know how that fits with everyone else though.

The SPFL are well versed in working out post split fixtures so I'm sure they will be able to sort it out :whistling:

1 hour ago, redandyellowallover said:

I wonder how they will determine the fixtures post split, I assume that they would (ideally for the SPFL) just mirror the fixtures that we were supposed to have in the third round of fixtures that were originally scheduled but that could cause issues with numbers of home games I think depending on the mix up.

As it stands at the moment we would have games v Falkirk, Cove, Airdrie and Montrose. in a the 27 game season we were due to play Falkirk at Home, Cove Away, Airdrie Home and Montrose Away i think so that would work in well and would (again i think) work in well for everyone else also.

If, however, East Fife were to finish 5th at the expense of Montrose then we would be due to play them at Home which would give us 3 home games and 1 away game. I don't know how that fits with everyone else though.

The SPFL are well versed in working out post split fixtures so I'm sure they will be able to sort it out :whistling:

I'm expecting Falkirk and Cove away and a bye on the last day so the others can overtake us.

Amazing how two late-ish goals can change a frustrating night into an enjoyable one.

Amongst a number of strong individual performances last night, l though Stuart Bannigan had another excellent game.  He has a lot of really good qualities which seem much easier to appreciate when the team aren’t struggling and are actually winning games. He’s also managed to cut out that stupid tacking which earned him a few needless bookings/red cards for a while when things were not going so well.

I always see shades of how Danny Lennon played for us in Stuart. I just hope he manages to keep it going and we all get to experience that success of quickly rising through the divisions again!

2 hours ago, redandyellowallover said:

Will be interesting to see how Montrose approach this game, they probably need something  out of the game to keep in with a chance of being in the top 5. They have us and then Cove on Tuesday so a couple of tough games for them. If they were to beat us tomorrow they would all but guarantee a place in the top 5 and they may go all out for this and they make the changes for the cup game at the weekend.

As for us I think we may need to make a couple of changes, I thought both Graham and Tiffoney looked as if they were running on empty for the last 10-15 minutes. I can't see Docherty being able to start another game after playing 90 mins yesterday. He may look for Tiffoney so start and give us 60-70 mins and then change it up, and with Rudden getting a couple of goals last night it would probably be a good idea to start him ahead of Graham.

Hopefully we can get away without making too many changes, we're hitting a bit of form and getting the makings of a settled team.

Thursday night to Saturday morning for Montrose. They will need to rest players somewhere. Surely they will prioritise the league game?