Jags V Clyde

westertonjagfan

We've suffered badly for a few seasons when teams play for a draw or are happy with a point at Firhill. Thought tonight was heading for further proof. Improved decision making in the 2nd half was as important as personnel changes. Love it when players are booked for time wasting then minutes later are chasing the game.

• Like 2

I think (hope) we will play better against Montrose. 

They are a better side than Clyde and will attack us and try to win the game. That will create openings for us to attack. It should be to our advantage that Montrose concede almost as many goals as they score! 

Clyde tended to 'sit in' tonight and tried to frustrate us. For a number of reasons I  think we tend to struggle against teams who get everybody behind the ball. As Montrose are not assured of a top 5 place I hope they will come Firhill and try to attack us. 

Well done to the Jags on tonight's result and to Zak Rudden for his two goals. His confidence should be high now. 

9 hours ago, p12tfc said:

Interesting to see what Montrose do as they have a cup game at 11.45 on Saturday morning.

can you imagine any of the premiership teams being told to play Thursday night-Saturday morning?

I partly agree with you as the clubs signed up for this potential schedule. However, they could have moved some of the cup games to Sunday

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We've suffered badly for a few seasons when teams play for a draw or are happy with a point at Firhill. Thought tonight was heading for further proof. Improved decision making in the 2nd half was as important as personnel changes. Love it when players are booked for time wasting then minutes later are chasing the game.

As long as it isn't our players

7 hours ago, ironfist said:

Thought we totally controlled the game without making many chances until Rudden’s first goal. Thursday is going to be more difficult not least because of fatigue and the inevitable changes to the starting line up 

Agree with this. Defence had its most comfortable game all season, I think. I don’t think Bell put a foot wrong 

16 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I don't see it

The reconstruction proposal is now referred to in today's BBC Scottish Football site in the  Scottish Football 'Gossip' Section. 

Go to this section and scroll down to Newspaper Headlines bit. You will see a headline which states that SPFL Clubs) meaning PL clubs) are set to reject the proposal. 

I still don't see the article I read the other day but this reference will confirm that discussions have been taking place. 

12 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Ok guys got it wrong   who would have thought that Rudden would get 2 ..More the same on Thursday...

I wouldn't worry too much about being wrong. I am in a similar situation with Cardle. While his final ball hasn't been great he was trying to attack the left side of the Clyde defence and was much more involved and direct than I have seen in the past. 

So have to admit I am starting to change my opinion of  Cardle............just that final pass/cross to improve and I am a Cardle fan! 

28 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

By my maths, we are now guaranteed top 5 (baring some freak scores) Airdrie and East Fife can't both get more points, and we currently have a much better goal difference than both.

1 point should guarantee a play-off (baring some freak scores)

Unfortunately, it won't. We have four games to play after the split which will obviously have a big impact on the play-off positions.

44 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

By my maths, we are now guaranteed top 5 (baring some freak scores) Airdrie and East Fife can't both get more points, and we currently have a much better goal difference than both.

1 point should guarantee a play-off (baring some freak scores)

Agree that we are pretty much in the top 5. I think the only way we can miss out is if we are heavily beaten by Montrose and Dumbarton so that our goal difference becomes worse than Airdrie's. East Fife would need to beat Peterhead and draw with Airdrie.

It looks like 5th place at the start of the last 4 fixtures will be maximum 27  points but could be as low as 24. The means the 5th placed team could get to 36-39 points after the split fixtures are played. Conversely the 5th placed team could lose all  their fixtures and be stuck on 24 points. The truth probably lies somewhere between and so 30-31 points looks a decent bet for a playoff spot.

We play Montrose on Thursday and at the same time East Fife play Peterhead. If we win and Peterhead win then that estimate will drop.

At the top of the league the maximum points possible pre top 5 split is 37 assuming Falkirk win their remaining fixtures. They have Cove and Peterhead away to do that so  getting to 31-33 points means we not only probably make the playoffs but that we have a realistic opportunity of winning the league.

At times I don't know what to make of this Jags Team or in fact this League. 

There are so many permutations  that could result in so many different outcomes

For example, should results go one way we could be a point or two ahead of Falkirk  after 18 games.  If they go the other way we could be 10 points adrift!

I think we need 6 points from our remaining two game to have any chance of being top after 18 games and a minimum of 4 points to stay in touch. 

I think we can and will beat Montrose but the game I worry about is away to Dunbarton, for two teasons:

1. We will be expected to win this must win game. 

2. We never do well away to Dumbarton! 

The answer go one game arca r&

At times I don't know what to make of this Jags Team or in fact this League. 

There are so many permutations  that could result in so many different outcomes

For example, should results go one way we could be a point or two ahead of Falkirk  after 18 games.  If they go the other way we could be 10 points adrift!

I think we need 6 points from our remaining two game to have any chance of being top after 18 games and a minimum of 4 points to stay in touch. 

I think we can and will beat Montrose but the game I worry about is away to Dunbarton, for two teasons:

1. We will be expected to win this must win game. 

2. We never do well away to Dumbarton! 

The answer go one game at a time! 

2 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Does anyone else think the ball went in off Rudden’s hand rather than his chest? I’ve watched the behind the goal camera a few times and pretty sure it was The Hand of Rud! 

It very clearly came off his chest. The goal against Cowdenbeath was more debatable.