Two league matches per week should be the norm!

Jaggernaut

I think it's great to have at least two matches every week (three is even better, but that might be too many for a lot of people).

Given the vagaries of Scottish weather, especially in winter, I think that there's now an even better argument for a 2-month (yes, 2-months) break during the winter.

Start the domestic season in late July/early August. Two matches every week, whatever the competition (cup or league) three when necessary! This should continue until late Nov/Dec, then stop completely until mid/late Feb, then resume again with two/three games per week.

Fewer postponements due to frozen pitches, fewer (maybe not many) truly horrible freezing rain and howling winds spoiling the games, more time for seriously injured players to recover, money saved for fans (and clubs) during the expensive festivities at the end of the year, fewer late postponements that affect hospitality and sponsorship, etc. and interest kept going all the way through every one of those weeks when football is getting played.

Full-time and part-time teams can both handle this kind of schedule, as they are doing right now.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, Jaggernaut said:

I think it's great to have at least two matches every week (three is even better, but that might be too many for a lot of people).

Given the vagaries of Scottish weather, especially in winter, I think that there's now an even better argument for a 2-month (yes, 2-months) break during the winter.

Start the domestic season in late July/early August. Two matches every week, whatever the competition (cup or league) three when necessary! This should continue until late Nov/Dec, then stop completely until mid/late Feb, then resume again with two/three games per week.

Fewer postponements due to frozen pitches, fewer (maybe not many) truly horrible freezing rain and howling winds spoiling the games, more time for seriously injured players to recover, money saved for fans (and clubs) during the expensive festivities at the end of the year, fewer late postponements that affect hospitality and sponsorship, etc. and interest kept going all the way through every one of those weeks when football is getting played.

Full-time and part-time teams can both handle this kind of schedule, as they are doing right now.

I think there is some merit in this idea. I might be influenced by the fact the JAGS are playing well, scoring freely and winning games but the schedule of games we are playing just now I think increases the level of interest and excitement. Coming off the Peterhead, Clyde & Montrose games I am eagerly looking forward to the Cove v Falkirk match then onto Tuesday's game v Dumbarton. 

Great idea. Think it could work in a normal season with the 2 month break. 

What are the downsides recovery times would be short especially for niggling injuries, managers might argue about lack of preparation time for games, there could be short and long-term health and/or fitness considerations, saturation of games and football on TV etc. There may be other 'downside' in terms of finance that I am not qualified to comment on. 

On balance I would support this idea. 

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I think there is some merit in this idea. I might be influenced by the fact the JAGS are playing well, scoring freely and winning games but the schedule of games we are playing just now I think increases the level of interest and excitement. Coming off the Peterhead, Clyde & Montrose games I am eagerly looking forward to the Cove v Falkirk match then onto Tuesday's game v Dumbarton. 

Great idea. Think it could work in a normal season with the 2 month break. 

What are the downsides recovery times would be short especially for niggling injuries, managers might argue about lack of preparation time for games, there could be short and long-term health and/or fitness considerations, saturation of games and football on TV etc. There may be other 'downside' in terms of finance that I am not qualified to comment on. 

On balance I would support this idea. 

I guess the other positive is that you could fit the schedule between April and October and still have a break in the summer?