Post Split Fixtures

javeajag

Interesting split, I think the chances of us finishing 1st after the 18 games is a bit slim at the moment and looks likely that we'll either be 2nd or 3rd.

Finishing second would give us a home game v Cove (assuming they are third) and an away game v Falkirk (assuming they are 1st) and would mean we finish our season on the final gameday away to the 4th place team.

Finish 3rd and we would be away to Cove and Home to Falkirk but would be on the sidelines on the final day which wouldn't be ideal.

Finish 4th and we'd be away to both Falkirk and Cove.

I suspect Falkirk maybe more prone to Bottle crashing than us or Cove in this tight spread o games, their fans are just beginning to realise Connor Sammon “is not a striker” .I think our mental attitude, patience and grinding down  of opposition will be the key as shown against Clyde....along with a fit and sharp Tiffoney and Cardle as well as an in form Rudden.

I do not think that home or away really matters in the absence of fans. Although our last 2 home results have gone some way to redress the balance, our overall away record is at least as good as the home record.

3rd place seems to be the worst position to finish as there is no effective "rest round" allowing the squad to be more refreshed  for the next game, and there is not the privilege of going into the last round of fixtures knowing what you have to do (and possibly being able to change tack if necessary during the game). Not sure why the SPFL could not have had the 5th placed team sitting out the last round. I appreciate that positions may change, but on average there is more possibility of the last fixture for the initially 5th placed team being irrelevant to their placing. Thus a last round of games involving the initial top 4 would have been more likely to produce excitement and intrigue (and to be fairer to all).  

Edited by partickthedog
Spelling!

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

I do not think that home or away really matters in the absence of fans. Although our last 2 home results have gone some way to redress the balance, our overall away record is at least as good as the home record

Our home record was shocking up till Tuesday night, which kinda doesn't help my argument. However playing on a big pitch like Firhill compared to a tight artificial surface should be a significant advantage to us. Playing away on an exposed grounds like at East Fife and Cove could be a problem. Both clubs have in any case very good home records, which may suggest they can handle playing in windy conditions better than their visitors. 

Perhaps our acceptable away record was down to us being so poor at the time that the "leveller" aspect of these tight bouncy pitches was to our advantage? :thinking:

On 4/16/2021 at 8:39 AM, redandyellowallover said:

I think we want to be finishing 1st or 2nd to get a break in the middle of the fixtures. This will be more of a benefit to us I think.

I agree with this so changing my preference for a Cove win to a Cove v Falkirk draw. 

We are all assuming of course that the JAGS, Cove and Falkirk all win their Tuesday night games all of them away to normally  stuffy opponents. 

As I said on another thread playing their notmal game Peterhead and Montrose are capable of taking points from Falkirk and Cove. 

However a midweek game at  Dumbarton has its dangers as well. We are though going into the game rested, in form, confident, scoring goals and perhaps more important with a great team spirit! 

Set up just perfectly for a Thistle........................? 

12 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

We also played Dumbarton away in last game of the Championship winning year as well! Feels like a good omen! 

That game was perhaps the most enjoyably meaningless league match I've been to.  We know well the cliché "the players were already on holiday". In this case both teams and both sets of fans were all on holiday. Obviously we were celebrating but so to were Dumbarton who were now safe in the league. No result that day could've altered their league position, so they didn't even have final placing money to play for. 

All my memories of the match are centred on fun and games off the pitch apart from the fact there was a howling gale that day and the only highlight on the park was being entertained by a couple of seagulls. My only regret is not having a royal punt on a goalless draw. In hindsight by far the most likely outcome.

3 minutes ago, CrimeWriterJag said:

Although I initially thought a draw was the best result, the current 2-0 score line has given us a good goal difference advantage. That may come in useful...

We  would need both of them  to lose a game and us to draw for that to come into play. I would rather there was only one team on more points.

• Like 1