Post Split Fixtures

javeajag

On 4/16/2021 at 8:39 AM, redandyellowallover said:

I think we want to be finishing 1st or 2nd to get a break in the middle of the fixtures. This will be more of a benefit to us I think.

I think that finishing 2nd looks to be best position as long as there is only a point or 2 in it. 2nd plays 1st on match day 3, but 2nd place has a rest on match day 2, whereas as for 1st place it will be 3rd game 6 days. Although, that didn’t hurt us last week.

8 minutes ago, allyo said:

Surely we want to finish first because that means we'll have more points/goals.

Definitely after the all the split games are played we want to be top. If there is any danger of the split not going ahead then again top is better, but going by the post split schedule, maybe not 

Edited by Lenziejag

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

Definitely after the split, we want to be top. If there is any danger of the split not going ahead then again top is better, but going by the post split schedule, maybe not 

Yeah I understand but I can't agree. Theoretical advantages of fixture schedules are far outweighed by points on the board I reckon.

By the way, looking at the league table now I can't believe how unexcited I was by our last minute equaliser against East Fife.

19 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

It is some turnaround - Who could of thought, half time at East Fife that we would go into the final 5 fixtures one point off the top and with our destiny in our own hands

Probably just me and laukat.

Nice that we're all on the same page, at least for now.

• Like 1

Just now, CrimeWriterJag said:

Must Win Tuesday, Five Cup Finals, In Our Own Hands. We are all thinking it, what a difference since HT v East Fife. Mon the Jags. 

At half time against EF we were effectively 9 points behind Falkirk ( they were drawing 1-1 at Airdrie). What an amazing turn around!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That game was perhaps the most enjoyably meaningless league match I've been to.  We know well the cliché "the players were already on holiday". In this case both teams and both sets of fans were all on holiday. Obviously we were celebrating but so to were Dumbarton who were now safe in the league. No result that day could've altered their league position, so they didn't even have final placing money to play for. 

All my memories of the match are centred on fun and games off the pitch apart from the fact there was a howling gale that day and the only highlight on the park was being entertained by a couple of seagulls. My only regret is not having a royal punt on a goalless draw. In hindsight by far the most likely outcome.

I recall that going beyond mere survival in the league, Dumbarton were also celebrating being Scotland's top part-time team, which was obviously quite important to them. I presume that Cowdenbeath were the only other potential contenders that season.