v Montrose Goal of the Game

exiledjag

A thread for just a bit of lighthearted fun. 

We were treated to some quality goals tonight from Rudden's excellent brace, Bannigan's free kick, Tiffany's cheeky shot to  the near post and Gordon's quick reaction in a penalty box scramble aided by McIver's dummy (I 'll call it a dummy) 

Which goal is considered the goal of the match and why. 

I will start the ball rolling. 

It's a tough call but I go for the first goal which I think might be loosely described as a team goal. The long ball out of defence was a wonderful pass; was it from Bell? Foster showed great skill controlling the ball on the run with a sublime first touch, and his run to the bye line was determined.  The cut back was excellent but I loved the way Rudden changed his body position to angle the ball a little further away from the goalkeeper. A wonderful goal. 

4 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Agree with above,however, just to be different would go for Banzo’s....purely for he shear joy it caused him along with that wee Madness type dance he did in celebration .:party2:

Suprised that Banzo remembered the stepps to his dance its been a while since he scored ...I would go for Ruddens 2nd some hit from outside the box,,,More required over the next 5 games..

18 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

All good goals in their own way, but if i had to pick one it would be Rudden's and Thistle's second. In fact he hit it so hard it came back out the net. If it had been scored at the bing end the ghost goal jinx may have struck again.

That was my favourite. As the commentator said, the keeper widnae have saved it in the way oot!

Edited by Harrybriscoe

You could argue a case for any one of the 5 goals last night.

The best footballing goal in my opinion was probably the first goal. You can see Foster start to move as soon as Tiffoney picks up the ball in midfield, Bell's pass is on the button and Fosters first touch and control is top quality.

The most significant goal of last night might be Rudden's second. Rudden struck the ball very cleanly without hesistating or looking to take a controlling touch. That was the strike of a confident player who thinks he can score at any opportunity. Getting Rudden to that position of confidence may be hugely significant as we go into the remaining games.

Found it difficult to tell just how good Bannigan's goal was without seeing from behind the goals. From what I could see from the side angle, it did not look that near the post, more centre-right of the goal, therefore the keeper could maybe have done better, thought the keeper looked pretty rotten throughout...

I'd go for Rudden's first - ball to Forster and his first touch were great.

I actually thought Montrose looked a good footballing team. Stats for the match show we had 6 shots on target all match and 48% possession.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Suprised that Banzo remembered the stepps to his dance its been a while since he scored ...I would go for Ruddens 2nd some hit from outside the box,,,More required over the next 5 games..

That’s why I was so happy for the lad and his obvious joy...long may it continue...might even put him on penalty duty again :getmecoat:

A great thing about Ruddens rocket was how well it was teed up by Graham.

I've watched strikers on many occasions, just not quite give the perfect pass because they want it back so they can score themselves.

Graham passed a ball with a perfect weight and angle that could only be hit towards goal.

It was unselfish and showed team spirit. 

The fact there is a goal of the game thread shows you how quickly things can turn positive. Thought the first four were all really good, but I was out my seat with Rudden’s second (nice interplay between him and Graham), pace and a powerful well placed strike. Banjos free kick was top drawer and long overdue. It’s great to see so many players looking happy and playing with confidence. Hopefully this continues for a least the next 5 games. Or just 5 games :fan:

51 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

A great thing about Ruddens rocket was how well it was teed up by Graham.

I've watched strikers on many occasions, just not quite give the perfect pass because they want it back so they can score themselves.

Graham passed a ball with a perfect weight and angle that could only be hit towards goal.

It was unselfish and showed team spirit. 

Also watching Graham celebrate with Rudden shows the team spirit. I’ll go with number 2 too. 

51 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

The fact there is a goal of the game thread shows you how quickly things can turn positive. Thought the first four were all really good, but I was out my seat with Rudden’s second (nice interplay between him and Graham), pace and a powerful well placed strike. Banjos free kick was top drawer and long overdue. It’s great to see so many players looking happy and playing with confidence. Hopefully this continues for a least the next 5 games. Or just 5 games :fan:

Did we re-sign James Mckinstry and I huvnae heard?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

I must admit: when I first opened this thread without knowing the result, seeing "Montrose  Goal of the Game" in the title had me thinking that we might have lost by several goals!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I must admit: when I first opened this thread without knowing the result, seeing "Montrose  Goal of the Game" in the title had me thinking that we might have lost by several goals!

Know the feeling. I couldn't watch the live stream as I was on a zoom meeting to do with work. I was getting alerts lighting up my phone and by the time I could check them I was too scared to look!

I thought the goals from Rudden, Bannigan and Tiffoney would be the popular selections and that Rudden second would 'poll' the most votes, deservedly so. Perhaps I should also have included Rudden's second v Clyde which was also a very good goal. 

As has been said a case can be made for all of the goals being goal of the match. Its just great we as JAGS can at long last have this type of conversation. 

Long may it continue.