CAN WE DO IT ?

Bobbyhouston

As Bob The Builder would 'yes we can'. Speaking as a Thistle supporter of 55 years or so, i know we never do things easy. Tuesday night is a very big night for us, Cove and Falkirk. What we do know is if we win the next 5 games we win the league, but that is also the same for Cove and Falkirk. After all that we are back onto every one's favourite cliche. Tuesday night is a must win game.

I think we definitely can we seem to be hitting some form a real nice patch at the right end of the season.  3 games 10 goals 0 conceded. A lot of important players all hitting form at the right time.  I think we are gonna pull it off. Still it’s thistle so i am of course trying to not get my hopes too high many many times thistle have taught me that lesson. But the team does seem to have a feel of a team all just clicking to it. A few weeks back I’d have laughed at the idea. Hopefully just rustiness like pre season and our squad who at the start of the season i thought looked the strongest will now get the chance to show this. MON THE JAGS

Today's results are again good for us. Not only did Falkirk lose but with East Fife winning it means Montrose have to win against Cove to make the top 5 and Peterhead need to beat Falkirk to avoid getting pulled into 9th place.

The maximum points Falkirk can get to is 46 and like wise for Cove. However its hard to see either of those sides winning all remaining fixtures. Still looks to me like 42 points will win the league and possibly as low as 40 points if you beat those above in the process.

To my mind if we are top of the league going into the split it will look very good for us. If we are top on Tuesday it will mean that Falkirk and Cove failed to win  and also mean those 2 have to play each other as first game post split. To my mind we want to finish 1st with Cove 2nd and Falkirk 3rd. This would mean in theory that the game against Cove at Firhill on the 29th is the big one.

Thet being said if we go into the split 1 or 2 points behind top place I still think we have a great chance

We are the form team and have momentum however Cove's form is not far off ours. I think Cove will struggle with the number of games in a short period particularly if they lost Fyvie or Megginson. Whilst we have a squad that can cover for injuries and allow us to freshen things up Cove will rely on their starting 11 being fit and fresh to get wins.

Falkirk look in a bad way. A bad result on Tuesday would be make it vey difficult for a young inexperienced management team to turn things around and find the form required in their last 4 games to win the league.

It will be interesting to see the approach of the other teams that make the top 5. It could be that 4th and 5th place are 6 points behind top place at the start of the split so may be only playing for a top 4 spot therefore  do they rest players agains the top 3 to field a strong team in the 4th v 5th placed game knowing the winning probably gets 4th place? Also if say Falkirk finish 3rd and then their first post split game do they start to rest players and prioritise the playoffs?

@lady-isobel-barnett mentioned the size of our park in another thread and if it was an advantage. We will be the only team in the top 5 playing on grass. To my mind that must be advantageous particularly if we play the 2nd place team at home.

It is said a week is a long time in politics IMO this is also true of football. Barely a week ago we were almost dead and buried  with 4th place being the best we could hope for.

This week following 3 wins, 9 points and 10 goals with 0 conceded the talk is about winning the League.  Brilliant!

Can we do it.  I think we can. I agree with all of the posts made on this thread about the impact of today's results! Cove are, unless Falkirk get their act together, our main rivals. 

However its not just about the last 3 games! Since football resumed we are unbeaten with 4 wins & 3 draws. The only disappointing result being the home draw with Forfar. 

If we go into the Dumbarton game with the mentality that it is going to be a really tough game and that we are going to have to  work hard as a team to get a result then barring a bad referee or extremely bad luck, in other words a fluke night, I think we will win. 

The League title is within our own destiny and within our grasp. 

14 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Cove are the ones I think we are competing with now

I think you are right however Tuesday will be big in confirming this.

If Falkirk don't take maximum points against Peterhead then they could be on for a collapse not seen since Morton in 03/04. Conversely if Falkirk beat Peterhead then they probably are still in 1st place as the split starts.

The fixtures are such that it'll only become clear who from the current top 3 are realistic contenders after 2nd play 3rd on the 24th. Whoever loses that game is struggling.

Edited by laukat

32 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

Word on the street is that the Falkirk players have been summonsed to the stadium this morning for a chat ... take your pick from a bollocking, a clear the air meeting or the management are getting punted.

We  go on about McCall having two assistants as unnecessary at our level. Falkirk kinda that way as well with joint managers and a sporting director (or whatever).  I suppose their set up makes it easier to sack the co managers and stick Holt in temporary charge. Anyway if true bringing the players in on a Sunday is a wee bit passé and more likely to undo team bonding. Hopefully:)

We now appear to have the defence sorted.  Bell has made a big difference as has McKenna. These are proper defenders that we need in this league.

Although we miss Williamson in attack, we now have Tiffoney who causes problems with his pace and is better at delivering a final ball. Rudden, Murray, Foster and Graham have all improved since he arrived. And The central mids appear to have found a way of working together.

We should do it although I thought Cove are the only team to have outplayed us. But that was before we became brilliant again!!