CAN WE DO IT ?

Bobbyhouston

14 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

We now appear to have the defence sorted. Ā Bell has made a big difference as has McKenna. These are proper defenders that we need in this league.

Although we miss Williamson in attack, we now have Tiffoney who causes problems with his pace and is better at delivering a final ball. Rudden, Murray, Foster and Graham have all improved since he arrived. And The central mids appear to have found a way of working together.

We should do it although I thought Cove are the only team to have outplayed us. But that was before we became brilliant again!!

Although it was just one game - Williamson played on ThursdayĀ 

8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I think it will come down to who gets the luck in the run in. A dodgy penalty for or against, or a marginal offside, or even an injury or suspension to a key player could be what decides the champions.

It will be very close.

Wrap Tiff in cotton wool from now until the end of the season.Ā 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, douglas clark said:

Perhaps this has been answered elsewhere on this forum, if so excuse my poor googling skills. When was the last time we won 5-0 in a league game?

From memory and without checking any archives I can recall 2 5-0 games I think from the McNamara era in the season prior to winning promotion, so that would be 2011-2012. Home win on an evening at Firhill v Greenock Morton. Steven Oā€Donnell on one of his first starts scored very early and Christie Elliott also scored. However, I believe that after that was an away victory on a Saturday at Queen of the South. My recollection is that Kris Doolan, Chris Erskine and Steven Oā€Donnell again may have scored. It would notĀ surprise me if Paul Cairney scored in either or both games.

Think if we can keep everybody fit - the team almost picks itself at the moment - and we concentrate fully for 90+ mins in each game we have a chance. Can't believe i'm saying that from where we were at half time against East Fife! Even though we won 5-0 against Montrose the 5 mins or so before we got our second we were quite slack, some poor passing, caught in possession etc - a better team might have punished us (like Cove did in the last minuteĀ  earlier in the season). Whilst every team will have an opportunity in any game at some point, cutting out the self-inflicted stuff is key. Not being critical of the team over the last 3 games but there are no margins left now.Ā 

Cove and ourselves are the form teams over the last 5 games (11 points each) and Falkirk only 7. If we can acquire the same points as Falkirk/Cove in the remaining 3 games but beat both of them when we play them we're champions. One of those matches will be away. A big ask but possible.Ā Alternative result combinations are of course available. Meantime I'll settle for a 1-0 win tomorrow with another off-his-chest-one-yard-out-winner from Rudden.Ā  Anything else is a bonusĀ :thumbsup2:

After last night's fixtures we now know the top 5 so time to return to the Can We Do It Thread.Ā 

First point is we are top of the league looking down from a lofty pinnacle. Who would have thought that 10 days ago?Ā 

Second point is how have we done so far this season against the other top 5 teams in terms of points and goals:

v CoveĀ  - 1 pointĀ  down 1-2

v Falkirk - 2 points level 2-2

v Airdrie - 6 points up 6-3

v Montrose - 6 points up 6-0

Plenty of positives here.Ā 

Cove and Falkirk are the main obstacles though Airdrie and Montrose, at Links Park, will be difficult.Ā  Two draw and two wins should be enough if the draws are v Cove and Falkirk.Ā 

I would expect to beat Falkirk andĀ  Airdrie at Firhill and win a tight game at Links Park. I would settle for a draw at Cove and that would give us 43 points and the title, though 41 might be enough (with our goal difference also a factor).Ā 

The easy way is of course to win all 4 games!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

29 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

After last night's fixtures we now know the top 5 so time to return to the Can We Do It Thread.Ā 

First point is we are top of the league looking down from a lofty pinnacle. Who would have thought that 10 days ago?Ā 

Second point is how have we done so far this season against the other top 5 teams in terms of points and goals:

v CoveĀ  - 1 pointĀ  down 1-2

v Falkirk - 2 points level 2-2

v Airdrie - 6 points up 6-3

v Montrose - 6 points up 6-0

Plenty of positives here.Ā 

Cove and Falkirk are the main obstacles though Airdrie and Montrose, at Links Park, will be difficult.Ā  Two draw and two wins should be enough if the draws are v Cove and Falkirk.Ā 

I would expect to beat Falkirk andĀ  Airdrie at Firhill and win a tight game at Links Park. I would settle for a draw at Cove and that would give us 43 points and the title, though 41 might be enough (with our goal difference also a factor).Ā 

The easy way is of course to win all 4 games!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Airdrie are on a good a run of from as us. It will be extremely tough.

Getting into 1st place last night was important given the way the split fixtures pan out however to have made 1st place with 2 points of a gap and a signifcantly better goal difference can't be understated.

Cove and Falkirk can in theory get to 43 points but only the winner of their game can do that and they would also have to beat us. Its hard to see how any team gets 4 wins in the last 4 games so unlikely that 43 points will be needed to win the league. If we needed to get 10 points we could only do that by at least drawing against Falkirk or Cove and winning the remainderĀ  but if we draw against the winner of the Falkirk v Cove game then we have aslo denied that team from getting anything more than 41 points. So in effect 8 points for us wins the league.

If the Falkirk v Cove game is a draw then they can only get to 41 points but again to do that would mean them beating us. However If we avoid defeat against Falkirk and Cove and they draw when they meet each other then Falkirk and Cove can only get to 39 points. With our goal difference it would mean 6 points from 4 games should be enough in that scenario.

So Cove v Falkirk on Saturday is a very big game and I think we need maximum 8 points to win the league but maybe as low as 6.

One other point -very shortly teams are going to have to decide if they are still in the title race or prioritising the playoffs.

If we beat Aidrie and the Airdrie beat Montrose then they are out the title race but almost guaranteed a playoff spot why wouldn't they rest their strongest team for their last 2 games? We in all probability will be playing Montrose when they have nothing to play for however Montrose will still have something to play for when they play Cove

Ā Assuming we beat Airdrie whoever loses the Falkirk v Cove game is pretty much out of the title race. The loser then has to figure out how best to prioritise their squad and games to ensure they get to the playoffs and are fresh enough to compete. That could mean we face a Falkirk or Cove team that are resting key players.

Ā 

5 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

To repeat the original poster .... CAN WE DO IT ?

You want to sack the guy who has taken us to the top of the league and on the cusp of an immediate return to the championship?

Who do you think Falkirk will have applying for their post? I know Mourinho has just been emptied at Spurs but I don't think he's up for the challenge of League 1 football

McCall's had his errors this year. In particular Forfar at home and East fife away but it does look like has put together a decent team and in Rudden and Tiffoney we have arguably some of the best young attackingĀ  talent in the Scottish Leagues.