European Super League

eljaggo

With 12 teams signed up as of last night and a further three expected to join the European Super League, what will the ugly sisters do?  Will any application from them to join be accepted or not?  Could  the recent decision to allow their seconds to join the leagues in Scotland be linked to this?

Edited by eljaggo

I can't be the only one smiling at the thought that Sevco and Celtic haven't even been mentioned in passing? All the nonsense that the Scottish Media peddle about 2 huge clubs, huge fan bases, masive pull which the EPL and European clubs are deseperate to have is shown up to be entirely nonsense.

I suspect the 2 arse cheeks will be whoring themseleves as replacements for the 6 EPL clubs in the EPL if they leave or are kicked out. That would explain why they were so desperate for the colts to join the SPFL. If the ugly sisters can join the English league then they need a Scottish team to sell and keep the bigotry alive when they are hovering around the EPL relegation spots.

Another snub for the remaining EPL clubs would be quite funny but I suspect if this new European Super League goes ahead they will more realistically be in a UEFA cup equivalent that they might scrape into the a second division of.

Having said all that I don't see how EUFA or the EPL can allow this league to go ahead. It puts both out of business so they are either going to have to get tough by banning clubs and players or take the champions league and change it to be like the European Super League.

If its the latter and along similar lines as being propose I can't see any Scottish team making the Champions League which in turn makes the financial models of the 2 arse cheeks unsustainable. Both of them bank on making the champions leage group stage every few years or they have to sell players. Sevco have bankrolled this season's title on the promise of champions league entry and if this new proposal kicks in for August where do they go to make up the loss?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if one arse cheek was allowed to join and the other was rejected.

The ugly sisters have been saying for years that there are too many clubs in Scottish Football that aren't competitive, don't have enough pooling power and are quite happy to live off the income of larger teams. Usually the follow that by saying that those clubs should be allowed to fail or they should merge for the good of the game.

Sevco and Celtic meet that description in a European senses so would it really be too much to ask them to join forces to create a competitive Scottish European team for the good of Scottish football? Is it time for the 2 arse cheeks to merge into just one arseh*le?

• Like 3

Got to laugh at the SPFL response - ‘damaging impact on the very fabric of our sport’, ‘a cynical and very worrying attempt to thwart the core principle of sporting merit’ , we all need to ‘work together to do what is right and protect the very essence of the game’.

Hold on is that the same mob that engineered our unfair relegation  ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theestle said:

Got to laugh at the SPFL response - ‘damaging impact on the very fabric of our sport’, ‘a cynical and very worrying attempt to thwart the core principle of sporting merit’ , we all need to ‘work together to do what is right and protect the very essence of the game’.

I take it that's a different Neil Doncaster from the Neil Doncaster in the old SPL? The one who tried to get Old Rangers parachuted into a higher division.

10 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It wont happen. It's a bargaining chip to get what they want for Champions League reforms.

Celtic and Rangers are not big (aka rich) enough to join their gang anyway.

They aren’t rich because of their geography and haven’t had the same access to tv money. Pretty sure they have as big a fan base as any of the 12 clubs mentioned. 

Was the English Premier League not formed with much the same intentions? To strike their own commercial deals etc. Don't recall too many crocodile tears for Rochdale back then. I know I'm an old fart but we also went from having three cracking European competitions to having two crap ones. Knock it rightup the powers that be.  None of this will effect the two teams I'm interested in. (God I needed to get that off my chest)

Wondering how many people would actually be interested in watching this ESL. Seem to recall Sky having a go at BT over how much they paid for the rights for Champions League football and how the viewing figures had been on the slide for a number of years (of course this could easily be sour grapes from Sky over losing out)

With the saturation of football on TV think I'm perfectly content to watch PTFC and catch up on occasional highlights from other games. Seeing two of the so called Super League sides in Chelsea and Man City serve up an absolute borefest on Saturday convinces me that it's all hype and not very entertaining.

14 hours ago, theestle said:

I dont see the difference from what we have the now. There will only ever be two clubs in Scotland that can win the league. The financial gap between them and the rest of the Scottish clubs is only going to get greater.

In terms of Scotland and England, the broadcasters give England billions of pounds every year. Scotland get a tiny fraction in comparison so how are our clubs ever going to be able to compete in Europe? All these pundits on Sky are hypocrites. Scottish football and stadia are stuck forever in the past forever while we watch the product of the border disappear over the horizon. Scottish football was on par with our English counterparts up until 92. Where was the UK government then? Back in yer box Scotland. 

Don't want to get our hopes up but I wonder on the assumption this goes ahead if the chances of the ugly sisters playing in a revamped EPL are not strengthened. The argument that they would bring little to the table as the EPL is already a global brand will be considerably diluted.  At the  same time the OF's global brand argument is somewhat strengthened.

Also if there's any credence in this, the need to kick the OF colt teams suggestion even further into touch becomes more crucial.

I suppose anyone upset with this development was unhappy with the creation of the Premier League, the "expansion" of the Champions League to include 4th placed teams (at the expense of other nations champions going through up to 4 qualifying rounds knocking one another out in the process) and has never had a Sky Sports subscription. The only surprising thing to me is that anyone is surprised.

The Champions League was already practically a closed shop with a few spaces available to make it look like it was inclusive. Now that Arsenal, Liverpool et al can't guarantee CL football every season they need a new model.