Thistle v Dumbarton from Dunbartonshire match thread

thebiglemon

Based on form the team pretty much picks itself. Only 2 considerations are if you start with McKenna rather than Williamson to be slightly more solid defensively away from home and if you put Cardle or Murray in for Gordon.

From what I can see Dumbarton rely on set pieces for their rare goals. They've only scored 9 all season and Ross Forbes is the man with 5 of their assists  which backs up that defending corners and free-kicks will be crucial.

They also don't concede many with only the top 3 having conceded less.

That would suggest a tight game and perhaps you do need McKenna in to better deal with defending set pieces?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Dumbarton have always been a right pain in the arse. Evening during our Championship promotion season, I think we lost once or twice away from home to them. And managed to squeak by them via an own goal at home.

Beat them twice 3-0 at home. Lost 0-2 and a 0-0 at Dumbarton. 

I don't believe I've seen a good game of football in this stadium. Last game 12/13 and Jester Day the decade before were of course memorable for other reasons. Could turn out to be just as hard to grind out a result as games against the post split clubs.

Dumbarton's home record, W3, D1, L4 is weird. They've lost four of their eight games but only conceded seven goals within those eight games. In fact thinking more about it, losing more than winning at home and still having a concession record of less than a goal a game is freakish.  Hopefully we score early, but if not we mustn't let frustration get the better of us.

This will no doubt be a horrible game against a team that are very, very stuffy.

If the game at Firhill is anything to go by then we're going to have to be clinical and take what chances we create.

Edited to add;

Interesting to see that they have lost 3 (all by 1-0), drawn 1 and won only 1 of their home games since the restart of the leagues. Up until they beat East Fife they hadn't managed to score at home since the restart either.

Edited by redandyellowallover

8 hours ago, thebiglemon said:

Never found an explanation for the m/n anomaly  and they need to be punished severely for such nonsense.

Same team as Thursday please 

(Dumbarton comes from the Scottish Gaelic Dùn Breatainn meaning "fort of the Britons". ... Dumbartonshire County Council, set up under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889, adopted the spelling "Dunbartonshire" by 1914, a fact recognised by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1947.)

A 0-1 will do ok. The run-in is going to be worrying so why not start as we're likely to go on.

3 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Ross Forbes! A short Thistle career but one of my favourites. Great player who I thought woukd flourish in the top league but was not to be.

Scored one of my favourite goals v Dunfermline 5 -1 game during promotion season.

A goal he only scored because, let's be honest, he was blowing out his arse while still miles away from goal and had a shot so he didn't have to carry on running.

Glorious.

1 hour ago, scotty said:

(Dumbarton comes from the Scottish Gaelic Dùn Breatainn meaning "fort of the Britons". ... Dumbartonshire County Council, set up under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889, adopted the spelling "Dunbartonshire" by 1914, a fact recognised by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1947.)

A 0-1 will do ok. The run-in is going to be worrying so why not start as we're likely to go on.

Beat me to it. The main reason is that it's easier for English speakers to change the N sound to M depending on the letter following. For example, Dumfries is easier to say than Dunfries.  Dunoon, however, is easier to say. Dumoon would sound like yer needing your wallies fixed.

The weird thing is that the correct pronunciation of Dun is Doon-so for Dunoon, Doon-oon is right ( Done-oon would sound weird). For that reason, Dumbarton or Dunbarton should be pronounced 'Doon' or 'Doom' Barton.

So, I say to one and all-let's use DOOMbarton. Cos tomorrow they're getting murdered by the mighty Jags.

I'll get ma jaiket.

Edited by westertonjagfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, westertonjagfan said:

Beat me to it. The main reason is that it's easier for English speakers to change the N sound to M depending on the letter following. For example, Dumfries is easier to say than Dunfries.  Dunoon, however, is easier to say. Dumoon would sound like yer needing your wallies fixed.

The weird thing is that the correct pronunciation of Dun is Doon-so for Dunoon, Doon-oon is right ( Done-oon would sound weird). For that reason, Dumbarton or Dunbarton should be pronounced 'Doon' or 'Doom' Barton.

So, I say to one and all-let's use DOOMbarton. Cos tomorrow they're getting murdered by the mighty Jags.

I'll get ma jaiket.

Always reminds me of the Glasgow comic Arnold Brown who at the end of his warm up act for Frank Sinatra at Ibrox  in the 80s quipped that he hoped Frank would open with “ Fly me to Dunoon” .

• Haha 1

The reverse fixture at Firhill is the type of game that has us in 3rd and not topping the league. We missed a number of chances including a penalty, when even the rebound should have been knocked in. If we want promotion we can't afford any more games like that. For the next 5 games the team have to go out and just concentrate on winning the game they are playing, not start thinking how Cove or Falkirk are doing. At the moment it is still in our hands, we don't want that to change.

Edited by Auld Jag

9 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Always reminds me of the Glasgow comic Arnold Brown who at the end of his warm up act for Frank Sinatra at Ibrox  in the 80s quipped that he hoped Frank would open with “ Fly me to Dunoon” .

And that reminds me of Billy Connolly singing "Everyone's Gone To Dunoon" on one of his old records.

33 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Anyone know what price the stream for this is? Thanks.

Game costs £12.

dumbartonfc.univtec.com  is the link to their site, where you need to register. 

N.B  the game starts at 7:45 pm,  -  NOT  7:00pm.

I should have added that the Gofundme campaign is now just shy of £80, 000,  for those of us not wanting to fund other clubs, although I'm not making any judgements here.

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Gofundme

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Game costs £12.

dumbartonfc.univtec.com  is the link to their site, where you need to register. 

N.B  the game starts at 7:45 pm,  -  NOT  7:00pm.

I should have added that the Gofundme campaign is now just shy of £80, 000,  for those of us not wanting to fund other clubs, although I'm not making any judgements here.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.