League Cup Win 1971

a f kincaid

I hope you all enjoyed the step by step story of how the Scottish Cup was won in 1921. The most obvious addition to The Thistle Archive now is to jump forward 50 years and look at the League Cup campaign in 1971. The article is almost finished but there is one more addition I’d like to make.  

It would be nice to include some quotes from fans so I’m asking anyone who was at Hampden on 23 October 1971 and has an anecdote to contribute to PM me. If you weren’t there on the day, it could be you have relatives who were and who have “passed down” something that might be of interest.  Please keep your contribution short (and tasteful!). If you want your name recorded for posterity, please add it. 

Finally, you may have seen recently that a journalist is planning a book on the subject and will be making a similar request. I would emphasise that this is purely co-incidental. I’ve been working on the article for a number of weeks and it’s pretty much ready to go.

• Like 3

My abiding memory (sorry, one of my abiding memories) is this. Johnny Gibson had come on as substitute and in the far corner to my right from my seat in the stand (call it the North East corner) he was close to the corner flag and cheekily chipped the ball over the head of a Celtic defender. It was 4 - 1 at the time but I went ballistic worrying that he might have given possession to Celtic. Problem was I had forgotten to wear my watch that day and had no idea how long was left. I was quickly placated by one (or more) of my pals telling me "Calm doon, there's only 2 minutes left!

4 hours ago, QXBoy said:

My abiding memory (sorry, one of my abiding memories) is this. Johnny Gibson had come on as substitute and in the far corner to my right from my seat in the stand (call it the North East corner) he was close to the corner flag and cheekily chipped the ball over the head of a Celtic defender. It was 4 - 1 at the time but I went ballistic worrying that he might have given possession to Celtic. Problem was I had forgotten to wear my watch that day and had no idea how long was left. I was quickly placated by one (or more) of my pals telling me "Calm doon, there's only 2 minutes left!

Know how you felt. When Celtic scored i thought we were going to lose 5-4. I think they scored with about 20 minutes to go, kept checking my watch, it never seemed to go forward for a while. Total elation at the final whistle though. What a team we had then.

32 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Know how you felt. When Celtic scored i thought we were going to lose 5-4. I think they scored with about 20 minutes to go, kept checking my watch, it never seemed to go forward for a while. Total elation at the final whistle though. What a team we had then.

A great team and a young forward thinking manager.

• Like 1

I was only 10 at the time and as I entered the ground Alex Rae's shot was just looping into the net. I was there with my dad who had witnessed our league Cup defeats in the 50s. He could barely believe we had won. He took me home and then went out to celebrate. We stayed in Govan so he headed over to Maryhill for two nights in a row.....I might do similar if we win this league ( yes I know its not comparable) .