League Leaders v. Airdrieonians

I'm nervous about every game. Doubly so when expectations are so high. What ever happens, win, lose or draw, destiny will still be in our own hands, so there really should be no pressure on us. Could be 4 points clear with 3 to play if everything goes well. That would take some catching.

Close eye on Cove v Falkirk.

We seem to start most games a bit flat footed and disjointed but still manage to win.I suspect Airdire will twig this and go for quick goal again .For this reason we need to up the tempo and trickery in midfield and play the likes of Cardle (for Gordon)and perhaps Williamson ( for McKenna)from the get go and get the  right wing working more effectively as it currently does on the left and try to kill this game in the first half .

Many have spoke about the importance of our games against Cove and Falkirk and they are of course important. But imo this game is also extremely important. We are on a very good run that has seen us take advantage of Falkirk's poor form and we now sit top of the league. A win on Saturday would end any hopes that Airdrie might have of winning the league and with Cove playing Falkirk we would also increase our lead over one of them or if they draw over both and also keep our momentum going . A defeat and Airdrie would only be a point behind us and if Falkirk or Cove win we would drop to second. If the results go our way we could be celebrating winning the league a week tonight. I don't think anyone of us would have thought that about 10 days ago. C'mon Jags don't throw away our hard earned lead at the top. :fan:

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

I thought Airdrie looked one of the better teams to come to Firhill this season despite us beating them and this game is not a given.  However we have beat them twice when we have not been playing on form so crossing everything for any kind of win.  

Nicely said number 2

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, elevenone said:

I thought Airdrie looked one of the better teams to come to Firhill this season despite us beating them and this game is not a given.  However we have beat them twice when we have not been playing on form so crossing everything for any kind of win.  

Now you have me worried. We beat them twice when not on form. What therefore is the thistley thing to do when we are on form ?

28 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Pressure on both teams. More on airdrie as they can't afford to lose from a title aspiration perspective. If we play at our best we will win. Can we really win 5 must win games on the trot....

I despair. How on earth can this be defined as a must win game ?

What exactly changes if we don't win ? Whatever happens, winning the league is still in our own hands.

If ever there was a game which wasn't must win, it is this one.

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I despair. How on earth can this be defined as a must win game ?

What exactly changes if we don't win ? Whatever happens, winning the league is still in our own hands.

If ever there was a game which wasn't must win, it is this one.

You must have missed the news this  morning. There's an asteroid heading towards Earth. Only a Jags win can save us all...

• Haha 4

Being nervous about a game of football is a natural  attribute for a Jags fan! It defies logic but it's part of our DNA! 

What are the facts? Well in the last 10 days we have learned how to win even when things weren't going our way (Dumbarton). We have two strikers who are scoring goals one of whom could be described as 'prolific', others are also scoring, and we are rock solid in defence! We are also well rested so should be able to go for Airdrie and try to kill this game off in the first half! 

I suspect I will be in a minority of one here  but I feel the only area of concern is our midfield. Bannigan and Docherty are playing well but we still don't seem to dominate the middle of the park and especially against the better teams in the league - even Montrose (getting beat 5-0) looked just as good between the penalty boxes.  This area will need to be strengthened for the Championship! 

Nevertheless ATM all the players  are doing very well and if we stay focused (one game at a time) and  lethal around the goal we will be OK.... Oh and avoid Barry Cook! 

57 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

You must have missed the news this  morning. There's an asteroid heading towards Earth. Only a Jags win can save us all...

The asteroid has been name 'the Jags' and its heading for the Championship to blow apart those devious back stabbers, for example, Dundee, Raith, QoS, Ayr and hopefully Ross County! 

32 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

The asteroid has been name 'the Jags' and its heading for the Championship to blow apart those devious back stabbers, for example, Dundee, Raith, QoS, Ayr and hopefully Ross County! 

I believe  it's predicted to land on Glebe Park in Brechin. It's expected to effect £200,000 worth of improvements!  It's also predicted that the area will be less toxic.   :D

8 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I believe  it's predicted to land on Glebe Park in Brechin. It's expected to effect £200,000 worth of improvements!  It's also predicted that the area will be less toxic.   :D

OMG please no! Save the hedge at least.

• Like 1

Last time we played Airdrie they came at us straight from the kick off and had us penned in until Wright made that save and Tiffoney scores on the break. Airdrie looked reasonable going forward and good at pressing us in forward positions. However their defence didn't look good, really struggling with ball in behind their defence and in general with anyone with pace running at them.

We looked decent going forward but defensively weak in midfield and nervous at the back.

This time around there is significant personel changes in both teams.

Our back line with Bell replacing Niang looks much more composed, our midfield stronger with Docherty for Gordon and up front beyond Tiffoney we now have Rudden firing on all cylinders.

Airdrie have strengthened their midfield with Turner now playing regularly.  However probably the key part is their defence is still the same.

So in theory whilst both teams have improved we arguably have improved in all areas and Airdrie's back 4 remains their weak point.

Airdrie know that only a win gives them any chance of winning the league so do they try and come at us like the game at Airdrie and leave space in behind their back 4 for Tiffoney and Rudden to attack or do they sit deep, hope we can't break them down and that they can nick one on the break? 

For us we probably need to decide if we play Williamson and Cardle in stead of McKenna and Gordon to try and take the game to Airdrie. I would be tempted to start with McKenna and Gordon to make us a bit more solid and then change in the second half if we need a goal.