League Leaders v. Airdrieonians

Perfect day. 3 points and Draw at Falkirk. 

Would have been great if docherty had scored but a great defensive display and for the first time in a long time a big slice of luck. 

Hope Bannigan is back for Tuesday and that Docherty is OK! 

Well done the Jags

5 in a row 13 goals 0 conceded and 15 points! 

4 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Great first half. Awful second....but yes! 

We tired badly in the last 30 minutes of the second half but still made a couple of chances for the 2nd goal. 

With the exception of hitting the post I don't recall Airdrie  creating a clear cut chance like the one Docherty missed. 

16 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

One for the statos. When did we last have 5 clean sheets in a row ? And when did we last have 5 league wins in a row ?

For clean sheets, It was mentioned in the Thistle Archive today, as an adjunct to game details. Wright this season; Fox in 2013; and Campbell in 1921!!

If Wright is fit for Tuesday - who will be in goal? I honestly wouldn't like to choose that one!!

I'm sure someone else will update you with the league wins. I think 1932 with 11.

Edited by East Kent Jag II
1932 data
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Not sure my heart can stand that again. That was sheer torture. 

Likewise. I know if I'd been at the game I wouldn't have been half as stressed.

Think if Bannigan had played we wouldn't have been so long-gamish in the 2nd half. As the game progressed our lack of possession could have proved costly. Think tho' Curry in Airdrie's goal singlehandedly kept them in the game rather than us being particularly profligate in front of goal. Tiffoney's miss late on being the blatant exception.

Great win although we had some scares in the second half.

The way results have played out couldn't have been better. With Cove and Falkirk drawing 4 points from the next 2 wins us the title.

However a couple of other factors move our way as well.

Airdrie are now playing for a playoff spot. Even if they beat Montrose on Tuesday they can't be mathematically sure of that until at least after they play Cove in Airdrie. That means they will have something to play for and I think they are more than capable of taking a point of Cove.

Montrose will probably still have shot at the playoffs when they play Cove on Thursday and Falkirk next Saturday and I would think that they wil be capable of taking points off one or other.