League Leaders v. Airdrieonians

51 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

45 years married AND a Jags supporter... you’ve had a tough life.. I salute your indefatigability (as someone once said)... When you said “great first 45” I thought you meant your marriage! 

I’ve been married to Thistle for 51 years. Its been a love/hurt/joy/disappointment /high/low/low relationship mainly. But I’ve never divorced them although I’ve felt like walking out a few times. 

Seriously though... congratulations :clapping:

Thanks..

Brilliant result although it would have been better for everyones health if we could have killed them off with those missed chances in the 1st half. 

Dont know where we stand now for the Covid rules but it would be good if we could re-create the JLS singing section (with social distancing) on the canal bank on Thursday night and get the team over the finishing line.  Its a shame really that were still in this pandemic and no fans are allowed back in. I would imagine Thursdays game wouldnt be far off the attendance we seen when we played Morton that memorable Wednesday night just over 8 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Brilliant result although it would have been better for everyones health if we could have killed them off with those missed chances in the 1st half. 

Dont know where we stand now for the Covid rules but it would be good if we could re-create the JLS singing section (with social distancing) on the canal bank on Thursday night and get the team over the finishing line.  Its a shame really that were still in this pandemic and no fans are allowed back in. I would imagine Thursdays game wouldnt be far off the attendance we seen when we played Morton that memorable Wednesday night just over 8 years ago. 

Hopefully get good numbers buying the package for Thursday which will also bring in some good income for the club

38 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Saw Brian Graham's goal celebration and thought "Fans are on the nollie bank". From your post I  get the impression you were there. If so - what was the attendance?

I think we all agree that all of the post-split games will be tough  for all the teams. 

I missed the first half of the game but the stats and comments  suggested we battered them!  I thought we shaded the  first 15 minutes of the second half and then we just fell out of the game, clearly fatigued! 

The manner in which we fell out of the game and whether we can recover and compete on  Tuesday (and Thursday) concerns me. 

Any views, opinions on how PT  Airdrie could out last us on Saturday would be welcome

4 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I think we all agree that all of the post-split games will be tough  for all the teams. 

I missed the first half of the game but the stats and comments  suggested we battered them!  I thought we shaded the  first 15 minutes of the second half and then we just fell out of the game, clearly fatigued! 

The manner in which we fell out of the game and whether we can recover and compete on  Tuesday (and Thursday) concerns me. 

Any views, opinions on how PT  Airdrie could out last us on Saturday would be welcome

I think they tried to win the game in the first half and maybe didn't pace it quite right? Maybe the efforts of the previous 10 days just caught up with us. Who knows tbh but fatigue for all teams will be a factor this week. 

15 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Sneddon will be in goal. Made a couple of good clearances today.

Yes time we gave Snedden some credit. 

It was impressive the way he came off his line into a 'crowded' area to punch the ball away to safety.  It was clear from  his body language that despite the presence of Forwards and Defenders nothing was stopping him getting to that ball. 

It's too early to compare him with the great Alan Rough but I thought at times during the second half he seemed very calm and unflappable - just like Rough! 

Sneddon deserves to play on Tuesday! 

Always thought sneddon was one we should be keeping and could develop into a great player for us. He has made some mistakes, who hasn’t, but he made a save at Palmerston in the last game of season a few years ago when we were two up that was an absolute ‘worldy’  and made that day a whole lot easier!!

Edited by Grubber8468

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I don't think individual fitness was the problem in the second half. We missed Bannigan's ability to get on the ball and play a series of short passes to establish possession.

This became more obvious when Docherty got injured and we had to rely on Niang and Gordon in midfield. Niang is a decent ball winner and Gordon is a decent runner but neither are known for getting their foot on the ball and playing pass and move.

In saying that Airdrie's threat was largely in lumping the ball into our box and hoping for a break of the ball which completely by passed midfield. I understand Airdrie doing that as they needed to score a goal and they weren't having much joy playing through us or trying to get down the wings. At 80 minutes Airdrie switched to 3 at the back to put another body in the box and for the last few minutes took of their defensive midfielder to play something like a 3-2-5

Our defence held up well and dealt with the aerial threat. Bell, Brownlie and Foster did their usual good job but I thought McKenna was really important yesterday in nulifying the Aidrie left wing and his height in the penalty area was crucial when the aerial bombardment started.

When we did get possession in midfield we were playing it forward too quickly in the hope that Tiffoney or Rudden could nick a second and make the game safe. That more often than not was just giving Airdrie possession and allowing them to launch the ball into our half.

That being said there are some players who look like they are carrying knocks or need a break. Docherty clearly carried an injury for most of the second half. Tiffoney looks like he could do with a few days rest. Graham still doesn't look like he's moving freely and Cardle is at the stage of his career where he struggles to do 90 minutes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't think individual fitness was the problem in the second half. We missed Bannigan's ability to get on the ball and play a series of short passes to establish possession.

This became more obvious when Docherty got injured and we had to rely on Niang and Gordon in midfield. Niang is a decent ball winner and Gordon is a decent runner but neither are known for getting their foot on the ball and playing pass and move.

In saying that Airdrie's threat was largely in lumping the ball into our box and hoping for a break of the ball which completely by passed midfield. I understand Airdrie doing that as they needed to score a goal and they weren't having much joy playing through us or trying to get down the wings. At 80 minutes Airdrie switched to 3 at the back to put another body in the box and for the last few minutes took of their defensive midfielder to play something like a 3-2-5

Our defence held up well and dealt with the aerial threat. Bell, Brownlie and Foster did their usual good job but I thought McKenna was really important yesterday in nulifying the Aidrie left wing and his height in the penalty area was crucial when the aerial bombardment started.

When we did get possession in midfield we were playing it forward too quickly in the hope that Tiffoney or Rudden could nick a second and make the game safe. That more often than not was just giving Airdrie possession and allowing them to launch the ball into our half.

That being said there are some players who look like they are carrying knocks or need a break. Docherty clearly carried an injury for most of the second half. Tiffoney looks like he could do with a few days rest. Graham still doesn't look like he's moving freely and Cardle is at the stage of his career where he struggles to do 90 minutes.

I think that McCall will play a less than fit Bannigan if Docherty is out. And as it is away he may sacrifice Cardle for Niang, Geggan or Penrice for more of a defensive unit in midfield.  It might not be a and idea to rest Graham at the start and use Murray  or McIver up with Rudden. Goalkeeper and back 4 to stay the same.

17 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

One for the statos. When did we last have 5 clean sheets in a row ? And when did we last have 5 league wins in a row ?

5 consecutive clean sheets

(SFL/SPFL league matches only)...

Achieved only twice.  Feb-Mar 1968 and Feb-Mar 2013.  No record of 6 found.

Consecutive league wins...

(SFL/SPFL league matches only)...

12     Once   Oct-Dec 1932

10     Once   Oct-Dec 1962

9       Once   Jan-Sep 1897

8      Three times   Oct-Dec 1904,  May-Sep 1983  and  Feb-Mar 2013.

Once  Dec 1934-Feb 1935.

6      Six times  Jan-Mar 1912,  Feb-Mar 1934,  Sep-Oct 1947,  Sep-Oct 1975,  Dec  2001-Jan 2002  and  Aug 2012-Sep 2012.

Twenty times. The most recent is Aug-Sep 2001.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We should have been at least 2 up at half time. I thought Docherty would have to go of after his fall, it looked a very bad one. A number of the team looked like they were running on empty from about the 70th minute. As others have said the amount of games we have played could be catching up with us. Would be better if we only had one game this midweek. Let's hope we can get enough fit players to get us over the line. I have been critical of Sneddon in the past, but since he has come in he has done a good job.

3 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I think that McCall will play a less than fit Bannigan if Docherty is out. And as it is away he may sacrifice Cardle for Niang, Geggan or Penrice for more of a defensive unit in midfield.  It might not be a and idea to rest Graham at the start and use Murray  or McIver up with Rudden. Goalkeeper and back 4 to stay the same

I think the temptation will be to setup more defensively partly because we are away from home but mainly because Cove need to win and we don't. A 0-0 is a good result for us and with Tiffoney and Rudden's pace a breakaway goal is always possible.

Completely agree that the back 4 and goalkeeper need to stay the same. Their performances make them automatic picks.

Fingers crossed Bannigan and Docherty are fit as we really need their ability to retain possession. Also Niang, Penrice and Geggan haven't played much in recent weeks so will they be able to last 90 minutes?

30 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

We should have been at least 2 up at half time. I thought Docherty would have to go of after his fall, it looked a very bad one. A number of the team looked like they were running on empty from about the 70th minute. As others have said the amount of games we have played could be catching up with us. Would be better if we only had one game this midweek. Let's hope we can get enough fit players to get us over the line. I have been critical of Sneddon in the past, but since he has come in he has done a good job.

Concerned that both the Doc and Banzo( probably less likely) will be unfit for Tuesday’s tussle with Cove...without or midfield engine we may struggle  to contain the likes of Megginson and McAllister bursting through .

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I am not sure that I thought that we were tired. 2nd half Tiffoney and Rudden couldn’t control the ball. Docherty was struggling with his shoulder and the subs didn’t do much when they came on.

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Which Airdrie players are part time?

none I can think of and they also have a very good team 

Robert went on trial at Celtic and Livingston have put in an offer for him

Callum Gallagher was a regular at st Mirren 

they have Kyle Turner on loan who has been a stand out at championship level was Thistle weir originally and is only being loaned to Airdrie because he had a fall out seemingly with pars manager about signing a new contract 

they have a player from Hamilton Accies who is highly rated, Kerr from Killie who is also highly rated

theres several others who are decent including the goalkeeper who probably stopped them being 3-0 down by half time 

17 minutes ago, allyo said:

Not sure if it's been noted already, but we've now guaranteed our play off place. I know it doesn't look like a big ambition now, most most of the season it looked like the most we could hope for.

True dat