Cove v Table Toppers

CrimeWriterJag

7 hours ago, laukat said:

Leaving aside that Megginson has a contract until 2024 and a decent job outside of football I'm not sure he fits what we are looking for.

One of the things I like about McCall is he does have to my mind a clear strategy when signing players. He will generally recruit players the bulk of his squad from players that are age 24 or under and supplement that with experienced leaders. If enough of the younger players are a success in general the team will do well as it has energy, pace and amibition.

The current squad and starting eleven generally fit that mould.  This season Sneddon, Wright, Tiffoney, McKenna, Murray and Rudden have all had a positive contribution. Graham, Foster and lately Bell have provided the leadership.

Megginson at 28 is clearly not a young player and he's not played at a higher level so he probably doesn't fit the experinced leader role in the same way that say Graham does.

One of the general problems with Archie's recruitment towards the end of the premier spell was the failure to recruit younger players and the reliance on jobbing senior pros'. When he got to the championship he went for almost an entire new squad of players who were mid to late 20's who didn't really have the fire and ambition of a player 3 or 4 years younger.

Caldwell went for extremly experienced pro's in MacDonald, Miller and Anderson which brought leadership but without youth no pace, agression or long term ambition. Losing Fitzpatrick caused more an issues to Caldwell's team than I think Caldwell understood.

Both Caldwell and Archie's signing policy where all about short term needs whereas McCall is very much adopting a long term signing policy. Megginson is a good player and could probably do a job at Championship level but I think he would be a step back towards short term

Should we get promoted we have to my mind a decent team. Assuming we can keep what we have we need to strengthen better alternative options in midfield and fullbacks. We need to replace Cardle and depending on what happen with Wright another goalkeeper. Up front MacIver need to prove he can be the backup striker or we will need to find an alternative so I don't think we are in the market for a senior striker.

Apart form Morrison the only other player I think we should be considering in this league is Turner at Airdrie. Some of his touches on Saturday suggested he might be worth a look.

A very succinct summary of signing strategy. I agree with the above. 

I have been a supporter of McCall though I admit about a month ago I was starting to change my opinion. I think one of the reasons for supporting him was the fact that you could see he had an eye on the long term. Something missing from both his predecessors. 

However he also had an eye for the short term as well. So in this context my thinking about signing  Megginson was based on the fact that in terms of strikers we have ATM no real replacement/cover should either Graham (33years) or Rudden(24years) get injured. It struck be that Megginson (28 years) would be a good addition to the squad as Graham will be winding down soon. 

I was though not aware of Megginson"s contractual or personal situation. 

I agree with you about Turner!