Cove v Table Toppers

CrimeWriterJag

47 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Would be ironic if we won the league on PPG after the Clyde debacle tonight.

with COVID test results apparently only coming through for Clyde shortly/minutes before the scheduled kick off, potentially with the unfortunate player in the ground and players who had been in close contact also present, it was a no-win for EF deciding not to play the game - we therefore have a team/multiple players & staff who may have to isolate with possible repercussions of moving league towards non-completion on 6th May - good statement by EF manager tonight

Edited by gianlucatoni

54 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Would be ironic if we won the league on PPG after the Clyde debacle tonight.

What's stopping the top half of the league completing normally? In that instance PPG positions in the top half are just the final league positions.

If Thistle had positive tests before Thursday that's another story ...

Edited by One t in Scotland

25 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I didn't pay/watch the stream but made a second go fund donation a few days ago which collectively more than covers any money I would have spent attending or streaming all away game. 

Therefore I feel I can ask a question, without guilt, of any fan who did watch tonight's stream. 

My question is - was fitness a problem tonight the way it appeared to be in the last 30 minutes v Airdrie?

Fitness wasn't an issue. I thought cove played better than us, but we still looked dangerous when we got forward. I do think we need to freshen it up on Thursday as much we can. Difficult to say how decent Falkirk will be. They have to go for it so may suit us. 

12 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

What's stopping the top half of the league completing normally? In that instance PPG positions in the top half are just the final league positions.

If Thistle had positive tests before Thursday that's another story ...

You're right, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

Fitness wasn't an issue. I thought cove played better than us, but we still looked dangerous when we got forward. I do think we need to freshen it up on Thursday as much we can. Difficult to say how decent Falkirk will be. They have to go for it so may suit us. 

I agree that fitness didn't look a problem tonight. If anything we finished the game stronger and should have probably have nicked a win.

I don't think we will see a radically different starting 11 on Thursday. If Bannigan is fit he will come in and we will revert to the 11 who started against Dumbarton

If Bannigan is not fit then tonights starting 11 will probably get the nod with a question over who is preffered between Murray and Cardle.

I think the aches and pains of so many games start to fade when you realise you could be one win away from the title. Who wouldn't want to play in the game that could win the league?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, laukat said:

Airdrie don't play on Thursday. The only way Airdrie can not still have a chance of winning the title before Saturday is if we beat Falkirk.

If the worst happens and we got beat by Falkirk then Aidrie would be back in with a slim chance of winning the title. Aidrie play Cove on Saturday so won't be mathematically out of the title race until after that game if either they lose to Cove or Falkirk beat Montrose.

Montrose play Cove on Thursday and Falkirk on Saturday. They need to get points from those games and for Montrose there is no point in resting players until its mathematically impossible to make top 4. Technically 6 points from the last 9 could be enough. So I think the earliest that Montrose might not be up for games is after they play Cove on Thursday and Falkirk on Saturday.

So either we win the league on Thursday or Cove and Falkirk still need to play full strength Montrose and Airdrie teams.

I was going to post something like this but no need as this says it all. 

For the record previous fixtures show: 

- Montrose do well  against Cove (2 wins) but not so well against Falkirk (2 defeats)

- Airdrie on the other hand do well against Falkirk (2 wins) but not against Cove (draw & defeat) 

So there is still help there for us if we need it. 

Better if we just thump Falkirk on Thursday. Hope Graham (off injured tonight), Bannigan and Docherty are all fit to play. 

BTW we are now unbeaten since football resumed 6 wins and 4 draws - not bad! 

3 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Thought that was piss poor and were fortunate to get the draw to be honest. They were so much stronger than us, pushing us off the ball. Dissapointed that we have still failed to beat Cove this season. 

A Highland league team 18 months ago, basically a team of part-timers, and again with our large squad of full-time players we struggle against them. Why doesn't that change?

From the highlights: some good football by both sides; with a bit of better luck we'd have sneaked the win near the end.

To be fair to Sneddon, the shot for Cove's second goal was swerving wickedly, and he had a few important saves earlier.

With Rudden and Tiffoney we are looking dangerous (not just looking; we are) in attack. 

Bring on the Bairns.

8 hours ago, allyo said:

Airdrie's form is now 5 wins, 1 defeat (to us) and 1 draw. Saturday was a great result. 

Absolutely! 

I know an Airdrie supporter and he thinks their manager (Murray) should be sacked and the team is poor and will be as long as he is the manager. 

Strange game just proves no matter what you do - 1 defeat in 6- you can't please everybody! 

How enjoyable this season would have been if our form in the last 6 games had been there from game one.

Great desire to win last night from our guys and I thought they had snatched it right at the end.

Only black marks were giving away a totally unneccesary penalty and a shocking pass from Gordon that could have easily led to a goal for Cove.

I'm concerned that we might struggle to match Falkirk tomorrow night after such a demanding 90 mins.

Hopefully karma will we see that the injustice of last season is nullified when we lose to Falkirk but win

our final match at Montrose to end up as champions. 

Just watched the 2nd half on Jagzone. For some reason the first isn't available. Thought I was going to be physically sick at some points. This is seriously not good for my nerves. 

After almost taking the lead at the start of the half we really fell away, looked like we were trying to hold out for a point. Sneddon has to do better with their second. I don't care how much it was swerving, it was in the air long enough for him to respond. In fairness though, apart from the goal, he did well. 

Very pleased with the response to going behind, so nearly won it at the end. Great strike by Tiffoney and Penrice so unlucky when he rattled one of the post. Honestly couldn't tell if the injury time effort crossed the line. Touch and go, decision had to be down to the linesman. 

Watched the highlights also, what a stupid penalty to concede. Absolutely criminal. 

14 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t really understand the fitness thing when you compare it to say tennis players that can be on court for two hours a day

There's truth in that certainly. You don't have to be too much a cynic to point out that tennis players, unlike footballers, won't earn money if they don't play. But that's elite sport. I can't say I know enough about tennis to know what level would compare with Scottish Football. And not knowing that I can't really say anything about comparative levels of fitness.

I thought we played reasonably well last night. I never felt that we were in real danger of defeat as I watched the match.

Well, apart from when they went ahead. Which, personally I would put down to a goalkeeping error. Thought, we responded very well to going behind and if any side was going to win the match it was Thistle.

I’ve no idea how Falkirk will be, but based on what I’ve seen of late I’m confident we’ll win on Thursday evening!

4 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Draw with Falkirk on Thursday and draw with Montrose Tuesday - 39 points.

Falkirk get the draw Thursday and win their remaining 2 games - 39 points

Cove win their remaining 2 games  - 39 points

If we win and Montrose win, it gets a wee bit interesting for the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Draw with Falkirk on Thursday and draw with Montrose Tuesday - 39 points.

Falkirk get the draw Thursday and win their remaining 2 games - 39 points

Cove win their remaining 2 games  - 39 points

That would probably do if neither of our opponents won their games by a fair margin. Nerves would be shattered, tho'.