Voyage of DisCOVEry and the FALKIRK Wheel

partickthedog

Last time we had 2 games in the same midweek, Auld Jag opened a single thread to cover both matches. The result was 2 clean sheets and 2 decisive victories. I cannot replicate Auld Jag's balaclava but hopefully the team can replicate the good results in this pair of vital, but hardly socially distanced, fixtures.

What are the prospects and thoughts for both games, or one at a time?

If I can kick off, although I would welcome the perspective of posters with more tactical knowledge, and especially Big Wull as the new X-Factor member of the managerial quadriumvirate, I wonder if team selection might bear in mind that (as against Airdrie) the last 20 minutes of the game may involve an aerial bombardment missing out the midfield in either direction, if Cove are scrapping for a win or a draw, or we are scrapping for a draw (we perhaps would not go gung-ho for the win in those circumstances). Tiredness may limit the possibility of craft being employed, whether in defence, midfield or attack, especially if Bannigan and/or Docherty cannot last the whole 90 minutes.

Could there be something to be said for starting with such as Williamson, Cardle and McIver for some pace and energy going forward in the early part of the game, and bringing on the likes of Graham, McKenna and Sena at 45 or 60 minutes fit and ready to give their utmost, jump their highest and head their hardest to supplement or defend the aerial bombardment? I would not advocate this for a one off game in which we are playing the best starting XI, but in these very specific circumstances it is unrealistic to expect the same  starting XI to carry us all the way through the week.

1 minute ago, partickthedog said:

Last time we had 2 games in the same midweek, Auld Jag opened a single thread to cover both matches. The result was 2 clean sheets and 2 decisive victories. I cannot replicate Auld Jag's balaclava but hopefully the team can replicate the good results in this pair of vital, but hardly socially distanced, fixtures.

What are the prospects and thoughts for both games, or one at a time?

If I can kick off, although I would welcome the perspective of posters with more tactical knowledge, and especially Big Wull as the new X-Factor member of the managerial quadriumvirate, I wonder if team selection might bear in mind that (as against Airdrie) the last 20 minutes of the game may involve an aerial bombardment missing out the midfield in either direction, if Cove are scrapping for a win or a draw, or we are scrapping for a draw (we perhaps would not go gung-ho for the win in those circumstances). Tiredness may limit the possibility of craft being employed, whether in defence, midfield or attack, especially if Bannigan and/or Docherty cannot last the whole 90 minutes.

Could there be something to be said for starting with such as Williamson, Cardle and McIver for some pace and energy going forward in the early part of the game, and bringing on the likes of Graham, McKenna and Sena at 45 or 60 minutes fit and ready to give their utmost, jump their highest and head their hardest to supplement or defend the aerial bombardment? I would not advocate this for a one off game in which we are playing the best starting XI, but in these very specific circumstances it is unrealistic to expect the same  starting XI to carry us all the way through the week.

I took too long to type this and in the meantime, Crimewriter Jag, had started a new thread for the Cove game! Feel free to ignore my thread. I will copy and paste the above into CWJ's thread.

Falkirk at Firhill tomorrow night. Simple a home victory and we are the champions. A draw we are not quite there, close but we may still need a point in our last game away to Montrose. An away win and it will be out of our hands. As i have said in another thread i feel Falkirk will go for this, 3 victories for them and they win the league. Our team and probably the way we play will depend on who is fit after just 1 day rest. Firhill for thrills and nerves no doubt.

21 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Falkirk at Firhill tomorrow night. Simple a home victory and we are the champions. A draw we are not quite there, close but we may still need a point in our last game away to Montrose. An away win and it will be out of our hands. As i have said in another thread i feel Falkirk will go for this, 3 victories for them and they win the league. Our team and probably the way we play will depend on who is fit after just 1 day rest. Firhill for thrills and nerves no doubt.

If we lose tomorrow it will be the play offs.

8 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Was hoping @Auld Jag would open thread for reasons stated in first post.  

Massive game, if no covid this would have been a 7000+ crowd.  Take game to them early, we are better than them.  For some reason I think Williamson even though not been getting a game will have major say.  2-0 Jags and Champions.  :fan:

@partickthedog Started this thread, so i thought i would just continue with it. Any way you are not superstitious are you ? As long as we all wear our lucky clothing , we will be fine. :thumbsup2: :fan:

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Ready, as is the Peach and Orange still water, if we win i might add some American cream soda. :ph34r: :cheers: :fan:

Ive got my Jags mug ready for my early morning cup of tea, and the red yellow and  black biscuits for the dog after her morning walk! (If she's behaved herself!!   :yoda:  Nothing like a few E numbers  to keep her going!)

Edited by East Kent Jag II
E numbers.
  • Like 1

Whatever happens tomorrow night I have really enjoyed this league campaign and in particular how we have played since the restart. It feels like years since we I have seen players in a Thistle jersey with pace, skill and promise like Tiffoney and Rudden or leaders with a will to win like Graham, Foster, Bell, Brownlie and Docherty. I've also really enjoyed reading the contributions to the forum as its the closest thing we have right now to attending games.

On all the other occassions I have seen Thistle win a league we have usually got over the line with a couple of games to spare but this season is much more a nail biter and being able to reel Cove and Falkirk back in from so far behind has been a great watch.

Whilst the drama of the playoff win against Peterhead was stunning the standard of play and style of football we had to endure in that season was not enjoyable at all.

I think you have to go back to 1991/92 when we needed a point against Forfar at home to pip Hamilton on goal difference in front of a packed firhill. I remember the gasp of the crowd when Forfar had a stonewall penalty claim that thankfully the referee missed.

Here's hoping that tomorrow night we get the result we need to get this over the line and if could do it without the heart stopping moments of 30 years prior then that would be great but then again it probably wouldn't be the Thistle way.

I'll have my fingers crossed, touched wood,  grasping lucky white heather, making bargains with a god I don't believe in whilst watching the game through my fingers just like I did 30 years ago.

C'Mon the Jags, one more win tomorrow and we're there!

• Like 3

A lot depends on how fit Bannigan and Docherty are. Rather than Shea Gordon, could we not pitch James Penrice into the fray? He looked really up for it when he came on against Cove and would bring some energy and passion. 

Edited by partickthedog
Forgot to say "against Cove"

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Whatever happens tomorrow night I have really enjoyed this league campaign and in particular how we have played since the restart. It feels like years since we I have seen players in a Thistle jersey with pace, skill and promise like Tiffoney and Rudden or leaders with a will to win like Graham, Foster, Bell, Brownlie and Docherty. I've also really enjoyed reading the contributions to the forum as its the closest thing we have right now to attending games.

On all the other occassions I have seen Thistle win a league we have usually got over the line with a couple of games to spare but this season is much more a nail biter and being able to reel Cove and Falkirk back in from so far behind has been a great watch.

Whilst the drama of the playoff win against Peterhead was stunning the standard of play and style of football we had to endure in that season was not enjoyable at all.

I think you have to go back to 1991/92 when we needed a point against Forfar at home to pip Hamilton on goal difference in front of a packed firhill. I remember the gasp of the crowd when Forfar had a stonewall penalty claim that thankfully the referee missed.

Here's hoping that tomorrow night we get the result we need to get this over the line and if could do it without the heart stopping moments of 30 years prior then that would be great but then again it probably wouldn't be the Thistle way.

I'll have my fingers crossed, touched wood,  grasping lucky white heather, making bargains with a god I don't believe in whilst watching the game through my fingers just like I did 30 years ago.

A certain, current St. Johnstone goalkeeper was at that game with his mum and dad. He was minus six weeks old as his mum was still pregnant. 

The last 2 games have shown how much we’ve missed Banzo.  Previously we have dominated through him and Doc. Gordon gives the ball away too much so surely Penrice who is strangely not getting a start will step in.

Weve shown that we are better than other teams now so let’s get back to providing Tiff and Rudd with good possession and get at them straight away.

9 hours ago, laukat said:

Have you been watching the same season as me ?

Up until 3 weeks ago the football we were playing is the worst I have seen in 52 years of following the Jags. Do you remember getting beaten by Clyde ? It was only a month ago that we were played off the park by Forfar and East Fife ! For the most part, this season has been worse than Campbell, worse even than McVeigh, so don't let the past 6 games, where we have at times looked good, cloud your judgement. For the most part  the standard of play and style of football we had to endure THIS season was not enjoyable at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Up until 3 weeks ago the football we were playing is the worst I have seen in 52 years of following the Jags. Do you remember getting beaten by Clyde ? It was only a month ago that we were played off the park by Forfar and East Fife ! For the most part, this season has been worse than Campbell, worse even than McVeigh, so don't let the past 6 games, where we have at times looked good, cloud your judgement. For the most part  the standard of play and style of football we had to endure THIS season was not enjoyable at all.

Agree about standard of play this season. Also have to qualify this by saying its only since the restart that, with the exception of O'Ware, we have had a full squad of fit players. We had at times 7/8 players out and I see on Pie and Bovril that Falkirk fans, in addition to verbally battering their recently sacked managers, are also bemoaning the fact they currently have 7 players not available for selection due to injury. 

It took a few games for our players to get up to match fitness during which we dropped points  but we are still unbeaten since the restart.  Some of our play in these games has been very good and the quality of the goals excellent. So while not glossing over the failures in the first half of the season we must also accept that there were mitigating factors. 

Let's focus on beating Falkirk, win the League, take time to rest and reflect, learn whatever lessons need to be learned and build a squad that can compete/ win the championship! But we do need to get behind the team right now! 

For comparison:

This season so far P20 W10 D7 L3- present position 1st

05/06 Season under Campbell:  P36 W16 D9 L11 (conceded 56 goals!), final placing 4th (lowest placed professional side in Scotland).

Of course, we can still blow it from here, while Campbell's season ended in promotion (somehow).

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My comment that you have highlighted wasn't really about saying the standard this season is great. It was more to hghlight that whilst the playoff win against Peterhead was briliant it was a one off in a truly depressing season. That season we played Peterhead about 4 weeks earlier at Firhill and lost 1-0. It was for me the most miserable experience I had watching Thistle. There was absolutey nothing on show that would make you think we had any chance in the playoffs or deserved to be promoted.

Campbell's team was awful and really reliant on journeymen pro's and in particular Mark Roberts. When we somehow got promoted we needed to completely change the playing staff as Campbell had a squad of dross with the couple of decent players we had coming to the end of their careers.

Watching this season unfold and see a Thistle team develop thats reeled in the other teams and got its nose in front going into the last few games has been enjoyable.This season if we are promoted we will have earned it and our squad won't need major surgery to be competitive in the Championship.

However that doesn't mean that the current side is better than the promoted teams of 91/92, 01/02 or 12/13. They were better teams however they had bar the 91/92 team ensured promotion much earlier which meant there wasn't such a climatic end of season moment as we might see tonight or did in 91/92.

31 minutes ago, delurker said:

Spot on; the invisible man.

No real criticism of Gordon for me as he's not a natural replacement for Banzo but I do hope we have Stuart back and firing on all cylinders as he has been providing a real engine and energy to the whole team of late.  When Banzo is playing well the whole team looks good.

Really looking forward to this, they're only bairns after all...

I am in no doubt that tonight we can beat Falkirk and win the League! 

However I wouldn't be a Jag without having a couple of concerns! 

The implications for tiredness  of our 3rd game in 6 days and our midfield injury crisis are my concerns. I don't doubt the form or willingness of the players to play for the jersey or the character of the team - Tuesday at Cove demonstrated that! 

But when the legs go, they go and there is nothing an individual can do about it. 

So this game for me falls into the category of we do our best to win but we must not lose. 

I will be delighted to win and be Champions but would not be unhappy going into the Montrose game still a point ahead (assumes Falkirk win their game in hand), well rested and everyone fit. 

By comparison Cove will be playing their 3rd (and final) game in 5 days on Saturday at home to Airdrie and next Tuesday Falkirk their 3rd game in 6 days away to Airdrie. 

Airdrie don't play tonight so will be well rested! 

I think Airdire will have a big part to play in this run in. They will still have an outside chance of winning the league if Falkirk were to either win or draw tonight so they could go into their last 2 games against Cove and Falkirk knowing two wins would get them to 38 points. They could very well go into the last game of the season 3 behind Falkirk knowing a win could put them top if we were to lose against Montrose.

They are the form team behind us, I'm just really glad we managed to beat them.