Voyage of DisCOVEry and the FALKIRK Wheel

partickthedog

19 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I do worry for Falkirk. They need to pick themselves up quickly for the Montrose game on Saturday. If they lose that they are in big trouble as I can't see us being up for the game in Montrose. Can easily see Falkirk missing out on the playoffs having been odds on favourites to be champions 3 weeks ago

I think you are right. The beating they took off of us was pretty demoralising. Sometime you get beatings like that expose not just that the team isn't good enough but that the whole club is rotting.

Its worth a look at our 4th goal again and the actions of the Falkirk player marking Graham. If ever there was a sign a player had chucked it then that was it.

16 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Enjoyed that from start to finish. I'd have loved to be up at the Basin with all those Jags fans last night. What a din they were making!

Gary Holt was clearly not happy with his players' performance, but even so it was noticeable that he gave not one word of congratulations to Thistle. I was kind of hoping that Falkirk might still get promoted, but now I'm not so sure...

He did the exact same in 2013 when we won the league against his Falkirk team - not a single word of congratulations 

In the cold light of day I have got to say that  the performance from the guys last night was one of the best 90 minutes by any Jags team in many;s  a year..We did not have anyone off their game everyone of them gave 110 percent. It was unjust to give player of the match to one person it should have been to the whole team..Roll on next season in the championship...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, douglas clark said:

Well, I feel more or less the same.

Smug, not exactly.

Satisfied? You bet

Smile on my face? Oh! you got to believe it!

I'd think that this is astonishing. Quite an amazing turnaround.

Luckly to support PTFC.

In using the word Smug I meant it in the context of feeling 'pleased'

I did not use in the context  of feeling or being superior or in any other pejorative sense, such as smugness! 

On reflection the word  'proud' would probay have been a more appropriate and accurate description of how I was feeling. 

7 hours ago, laukat said:

I think you are right. The beating they took off of us was pretty demoralising. Sometime you get beatings like that expose not just that the team isn't good enough but that the whole club is rotting.

Its worth a look at our 4th goal again and the actions of the Falkirk player marking Graham. If ever there was a sign a player had chucked it then that was it.

Partick Thistle 0 Aberdeen 6 when we were in the top six  comes to mind. That result especially made me feel that we were really out of our depth, and that worse was to come.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Partick Thistle 0 Aberdeen 6 when we were in the top six  comes to mind. That result especially made me feel that we were really out of our depth, and that worse was to come.

In retrospect you were obviously right. At the time we had achieved our goal of getting top 6, so I was not too bothered about those post split results just like I am not bothered about Tuesday’s result.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:57 PM, Dick Dastardly said:

I do worry for Falkirk. They need to pick themselves up quickly for the Montrose game on Saturday. If they lose that they are in big trouble as I can't see us being up for the game in Montrose. Can easily see Falkirk missing out on the playoffs having been odds on favourites to be champions 3 weeks ago

Falkirk are in big trouble now. Lost 1-2 to Montrose and now need a favour from us.

I got to thinking how unimaginably different was the experience of Thursday's game with other promotion-winning clinchers or celebratory matches that I remember attending in person, starting with Stranraer at the end of 70-71 (though I think we were already champions by then), Forfar at Firhill, Stirling Albion and Forfar away, Peterhead, away, St Mirren away, Morton at Firhill...... travelled to all of those, usually meeting up with family who'd travelled from elsewhere. With the exception of Morton, apart from maybe radio and teleprinter updates, probably no live coverage back then for anybody who wasn't physically at the match, and little possibility of any moment to moment communication with anybody who wasn't there.

Teleport forward to 2021: watched Thursday's game live on computer from thousands of miles away, while at the same time communicating and celebrating on a cellphone with brother (in the Highlands) and nephew (in Glasgow) in a Whatsapp group chat as they also both watched online in their place, and at the same time commenting on the forum here as the game went on.

Apart maybe from some creative Sci Fi writers decades ago, who might have imagined that way of experiencing a football match? How could it be explained to Thistle fans who were at the 1921 Cup Final? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I got to thinking how unimaginably different was the experience of Thursday's game with other promotion-winning clinchers or celebratory matches that I remember attending in person, starting with Stranraer at the end of 70-71 (though I think we were already champions by then), Forfar at Firhill, Stirling Albion and Forfar away, Peterhead, away, St Mirren away, Morton at Firhill...... travelled to all of those, usually meeting up with family who'd travelled from elsewhere. With the exception of Morton, apart from maybe radio and teleprinter updates, probably no live coverage back then for anybody who wasn't physically at the match, and little possibility of any moment to moment communication with anybody who wasn't there.

Teleport forward to 2021: watched Thursday's game live on computer from thousands of miles away, while at the same time communicating and celebrating on a cellphone with brother (in the Highlands) and nephew (in Glasgow) in a Whatsapp group chat as they also both watched online in their place, and at the same time commenting on the forum here as the game went on.

Apart maybe from some creative Sci Fi writers decades ago, who might have imagined that way of experiencing a football match? How could it be explained to Thistle fans who were at the 1921 Cup Final? 

One great improvement is the demise of the Pub Football Know-It-All. The guy who, tho' never going to a game himself, would spout out all sorts of facts and figures. You knew 95% of his outpourings were incorrect nonsense. But at the same time without a trip to the Mitchell Library you could never catch him out. Back in the days when brandishing a Wee Red Book didn't necessarily make you a Maoist.

• Like 1