Should we accept the SPFL Div 1 trophy

theestle

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The argument that Brora shouldn't be involved in the play offs as they only played 3 games falls flat on its face when it's pointed out they had amassed the same amount of points as Brechin managed in 20 games.

Indeed, couple that with the fact they were top of the Highland League by quite a margin when it was stopped last season and it's hard to argue that they don't deserve it.

The same 3 teams that should have been involved in the playoffs last season have ended up in them again. Both Brora and Kelty Hearts deserve their shot at Brechin and whoever plays them will win I think.

Kelty beat Brechin quite comfortably in the League Cup earlier this season I think.

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The argument that Brora shouldn't be involved in the play offs as they only played 3 games falls flat on its face when it's pointed out they had amassed the same amount of points as Brechin managed in 20 games.

While I'm glad the play-off is happening, I'm not convinced that Brora's involvement is fair. Two (I think) HL teams didn't get to play a single game this season.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:53 PM, theestle said:

I’m presuming we will win the league - slightly ambitious I know. But after the way the SPFL encouraged their members to relegate us, including the dark arts they used to persuade Dundee to amend their original voting intention, should we accept their trophy. 

I think we should not and if we do return it immediately back to sender.

We should tell them to fxck off with there trophy 

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Bobbyhouston said:

If it's a Dick to think that the players have worked their socks off to earn this. It could be the only football trophy that they win in their professional careers. They deserve their moment of glory as it doesn't come around very often. This is their chance to celebrate what they have achieved as a team and for some a chance to say goodbye to friends and colleagues. Doncaster and his cartel of cronies ruined last year and very nearly ruined the club, but we are stronger than that and this is our chance to show it. He ruined last year, don't let him ruin this year.

If that makes me a Dick, then guilty as charged.

If you don't believe that then you do need to grow up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If it's a Dick to think that the players have worked their socks off to earn this. It could be the only football trophy that they win in their professional careers. They deserve their moment of glory as it doesn't come around very often. This is their chance to celebrate what they have achieved as a team and for some a chance to say goodbye to friends and colleagues. Doncaster and his cartel of cronies ruined last year and very nearly ruined the club, but we are stronger than that and this is our chance to show it. He ruined last year, don't let him ruin this year.

If that makes me a Dick, then guilty as charged.

If you don't believe that then you do need to grow up.

Agree. We would be cutting our noses of to spite our face so to speak. As i said in an earlier post get our revenge on the park.

I personally believe not to accept the League One trophy would be extremely disrespectful to the other teams who have fought hard this season to challenge us. Yes, many of those same teams wanted to see us in L1 in the first place, but I do not think that invalidates the point. 

100% we should accept the trophy. The trophy has nothing to do with Blazers and Everything to do with football. The players deserve it, from when the 5th goal went in and Sneddon ran the length of the pitch to celebrate with all the players/subs and canal fans. For everything this season has put the players, management, board and us fans through, I want to see that trophy lifted, even if just on the telly. :fan:

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, CrimeWriterJag said:

100% we should accept the trophy. The trophy has nothing to do with Blazers and Everything to do with football. The players deserve it, from when the 5th goal went in and Sneddon ran the length of the pitch to celebrate with all the players/subs and canal fans. For everything this season has put the players, management, board and us fans through, I want to see that trophy lifted, even if just on the telly. :fan:

This!

3 hours ago, CrimeWriterJag said:

Maybe an idea would be to have official presentation on day 1 of next season. That would bring a few more fans out

32 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Maybe an idea would be to have official presentation on day 1 of next season. That would bring a few more fans out

2-35pm - The unveiling of assorted anti SPFL and Doncaster GTF banners.

2.40pm - Awarding of Prize for Best Banner

2.45pm - Official Welcoming Booing of SPFL Chief Executive

2-50pm - Trophy Presentation

3.00pm- Match Kick Off

47 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

3.00pm- Match Kick Off

That would definitely bring more fans out

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

3.00pm- Match Kick Off

& don’t forget a very special welcome party for the blazers outside the ground :split:

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

3.00pm- Match Kick Off

That might even tempt me to leave the pub early. (assuming they're still open) 

My inclination was like a few on this thread was to tell McLennan, Doncaster and the SPFL Board to stuff their Trophy! 

Also the SFA who also had a duty of care but did little and have done little to help us! 

However such an action would be a complete disregard of everyone at our club who worked very hard under very difficult circumstances to win this trophy and to gain promotion.  

Perhaps more importantantly such a response would also be interpreted as spiteful, petulent and would tarnish the reputation and standing of everyone associated with Partick Thistle FC. 

In fact not accepting the Trophy would be the easy decision and to some extent would work in favour of those who wronged us! 

However in my opinion we must rise above resentment and petulance and demonstrate we are better. The only way to show  that we are better is to behave with honour, dignity and integrity.  We should therefore accept the trophy, perhaps like Hearts not with complete enthusiasm, but certainly with good grace! 

In this way our standing as a club will be reinforced and we will have shown we are better!