Penrice

Jaggernaut

Not a single failure in a Thistle shirt last night. That sort of result tends to happen when everyone is on their game. 

Have generally been a bit disappointed with Penrice this season. Last night he was absolutely superb though. Can't recall him having a better 90 minutes. From start to finish he ran them ragged. 

Hopefully he can push on and become the player everyone knows he has in him. Just needs to find more consistency. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

All of the above and would want to keep both Penrice and Williamson! 

Both are rumoured to have signed pre  contracts elsewhere, presumably before the recent run of form .. wonder if they will change thier minds now though

Edited by jaggymct

I maintain that wide midfielders should be able to operate on both flanks, probably switching positions occasionally during a game. Wingers often do that as a matter of course. With Penrice, being basically a full back/wingback, moving to his "wrong" side is more of a novelty. Think the switch was particularly effective last night as when James dragged defenders inside they were leaving a gap for Williamson or more often than not, Rudden or Graham to exploit.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

38 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

Both are rumoured to have signed pre  contracts elsewhere, presumably before the recent run of form .. wonder if they will change thier minds now though

If Penrice and Williamson have better offers then good luck to them. Thank them for all their efforts and wish them the best of luck.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

If Penrice and Williamson have better offers then good luck to them. Thank them for all their efforts and wish them the best of luck.

I heard Williamson’s is with Falkirk so hopefully he’ll reconsider ,however, as you say good luck to the lad as his neat left foot pass to Rudden started the humping last night .

I thought Penrice was really effective on the right side as he had a natural inclination to cut inside and get a shot off on his left foot leaving space for Williamson on the outside.

When Cardle and Williamson play on the right side there are times where they will both aim for the same space. Also Cardle has a tendancy to check back rather than drive forward.

That being said I think Williamson is playing at the right level and he would probably do a job for Falkirk. I still don't think he is defensively strong enough for the Championship and you could see that in league 1 that McCall thought McKenna was the more solid defender playing McKenna in games that we would have to do our share of defending whilst playing Williamson when he felt we would be on the front foot.

Williamson's 45 minutes away to East Fife highlighted his weaknesses. Its often mentioned the effect of bringing on Cardle and Bell that night but McKenna for Williamson was huge part of stealing a point that night.

Penrice is worth keeping as cover at left back but he really needs to push on and make his career as a midfielder.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

Williamson is maybe looking at the way the season panned out and is wondering if he can't get a regular game for us in League 2, what's his chances getting one in the Championship.

That said, he apparently signed the pre-contract with Falkirk when they were 7 points clear, and probably expected to be playing in the Championship with them

25 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

That said, he apparently signed the pre-contract with Falkirk when they were 7 points clear, and probably expected to be playing in the Championship with them

Well yeah, Falkirk probably said he'd be going as a first team player so he'd have signed on that basis.

His experience with us would tell him that if he were to re-sign then he's be doing so as a back up. That's probably more the point I was driving at.

That point stands regardless of the league each team is playing in.

Think it will also depend on the length of the contracts on offer. I remember talking to a ex Thistle player who turned down a 1 year contract for a 2yr one elsewhere on a bit less money. His reasoning was having the extra years security was better than the extra few quid on offer on the 1 year contract. 

Edited by fifexile

1 hour ago, fifexile said:

Think it will also depend on the length of the contracts on offer. I remember talking to a ex Thistle player who turned down a 1 year contract for a 2yr one elsewhere on a bit less money. His reasoning was having the extra years security was better than the extra few quid on offer on the 1 year contract. 

Don't know how long ago you spoke to the player but imo the club's apparent fixation on 1 year contracts significantly contributed to our freefall. If a player played well he attracted other clubs, if not we didn't resign him. Result - huge squad turnover & last minute (desperate?) signings. To be fair to McCall he immediately recognised this & took appropriate action

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Don't know how long ago you spoke to the player but imo the club's apparent fixation on 1 year contracts significantly contributed to our freefall. If a player played well he attracted other clubs, if not we didn't resign him. Result - huge squad turnover & last minute (desperate?) signings. To be fair to McCall he immediately recognised this & took appropriate action

That's seen in that we still have a spine of a team for next season regardless of who re-signs.

The following guys are signed up to May 2022:  
Brownlie, McKenna, O'Ware; Senna (2023), Bannigan, Docherty, Lyons, Murray;  Graham and Rudden.  So, a good spine and a couple of wingers.  Don't think we will lose any of them unless a team's willing to pay us a fee - we got promoted after all.  Hopefully, some of the main players who are out of contract will re-sign also: Sneddon, Penrice, etc.  Would love to see Tiffoney sign for us but the problem with him doing so well for us is his current club may think he's worth them retaining.  Still McCall has shown himself capable of digging out a useful player or two.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Even McCall detractors may agree that he is imaginative when dealing with player contracts. If we can't afford a longer contract he'll introduce a lower trigger valuation and/or other release clauses.  Can work for the player as well. He gets a bit of security but still has an option to leave for a bigger club or whatever. 

On 4/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I don't have a problem with this as neither Penrice or Williamson is indispensable!  Never less I would like us to try to persuade them to stay. 

We have clearly spent a lot of time coaching these two players and it's looked v Falkirk that  both have learned and improved and hopefully ready to  'kick-on'!

I see Penrice as a wide midfield player and Williamson as a right wing-backl

Why should another club reap the benefit of the coaching these two have received just when they look ready to blossom! 

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I don't have a problem with this as neither Penrice or Williamson is indispensable!  Never less I would like us to try to persuade them to stay. 

We have clearly spent a lot of time coaching these two players and it's looked v Falkirk that  both have learned and improved and hopefully ready to  'kick-on'!

I see Penrice as a wide midfield player and Williamson as a right wing-backl

Why should another club reap the benefit of the coaching these two have received just when they look ready to blossom! 

You could easily say that about Brownlue, Rudden and Lyons, whom we signed from other clubs??? It's life in football.