What will we talk about for the next 3 months ?

Dick Dastardly

On 5/1/2021 at 12:38 AM, Jaggernaut said:

Remember when we'd already won the league then went up to Inverness? Lost 3-0, with several of our players clearly suffering from headaches and a few even looking quite unsteady on their feet. Even so, the post-match pitch invasion was great!

Found it! And yep commentator realised what's probably a similar scenario to Montrose on Tuesday  and especially would've been if fans were allowed in

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Found it! And yep commentator realised what's probably a similar scenario to Montrose on Tuesday  and especially would've been if fans were allowed in

Nice one, FB!

Kenny Arthur....haha! Anybody remember the time when he had the ball at his feet at Pittordrie, with nobody within 20 yards of him, but he dithered so much that an Aberdeen player nicked the ball off him and calmly side-footed it into the net?

Shaggy: pure class lol! 

I've got that top. 

On 5/5/2021 at 11:33 PM, Auld Jag said:

Seemingly the colts teams of you know who might be joining the lowland league for one season only. Discussions are at an early stage. Anybody really believe that once they get into the league set up, it will only be for one season ? :thinking:

I agree with the widespread opposition to the inclusion of colt teams in the National Leagues expressed on this thread! 

Their inclusion in the Lowland League is simply a device to propel them into League 2 and subsequently futher up the Leagues. 

To prevent this the answer is quite simple - clubs (except Brechin of course) should just refuse to play them! I hardly think even the mighty SPFL will be able to challenge this if League 2 (and /or) League 1 clubs act together and refuse to play the colt teams! 

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

To prevent this the answer is quite simple - clubs (except Brechin of course) should just refuse to play them! I hardly think even the mighty SPFL will be able to challenge this if League 2 (and /or) League 1 clubs act together and refuse to play the colt teams! 

There's a slight danger here. Btw I'm using the Supporter's Direct figures.

Tho' there's overwhelming opposition against the Colt Teams (roughly nine against to every one in favour*) the further down the leagues you go the difference reduces. The survey states that 37% of Highland/Lowland fans are pro Colt Teams. As only fans with strong views are likely to complete a survey I'd think that would suggest that Colt Teams could be shoved into the Lowland League without too much hostility. 

I'm thinking along the lines that the lower down the leagues you go the more the increased attendance figures could affect club chairman opinion. And as we've seen lately lower league chairmen tend to operate in a less fan pressurised environment. 

*excludes OF supporter opinion.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

On 5/6/2021 at 2:31 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

cheers FB hadn't seen that - that brought a huge smile to my intractable face on a sunny Friday night - John Lambie ... what an absolute jags man he was - here's to you JL :cheers:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Play offs start tomorrow. I think Morton will beat Montrose and Airdrie beat Cove.  Imo Airdrie are on a really good run at the moment and i think that they will beat Morton who have been struggling.

I with you on Airdrie @Auld Jag but I think Montrose will do (and hopefully so) Morton.  Nice to be looking in and not involved.

8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Very glad we made it out this season as League One looks to be a tough one next year. Queens Park and Falkirk will be joined by Alloa and at least 2 from Morton, Airdrie and Cove. I expect all will be targeting promotion.

Could be an exciting season to watch. Fortunately, I will probably have forgotten that it even exists by about August.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Well done Montrose

Job only half done. I hope they can complete it on Tuesday night. On p & b, Morton fans were amongst the most vocal in telling us to get down and stay down last season. Karma etc.:thumbsup2: :happy2:

Edited by Auld Jag

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Job only half done. I hope they can complete it on Tuesday night. On p & b, Morton fans were amongst the most vocal in telling us to get down and stay down last season. Karma etc.:thumbsup2: :happy2:

Am I right in thinking that Montrose get called "The Mo" by their supporters? There are other options for nicknames, such as the Monty (as in Monty f@ck, Montrose!), or of course The Rose.

Any other plausible nicknames for teams but that don't actually get used for one reason or another? Stranraer: Stranny? Dunfermline: Nationwide? 

Edited by Jaggernaut

3 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Am I right in thinking that Montrose get called "The Mo" by their supporters? There are other options for nicknames, such as the Monty (as in Monty f@ck, Montrose!), or of course The Rose.

Any other plausible nicknames for teams but that don't actually get used for one reason or another? Stranraer: Stranny? Dunfermline: Nationwide? 

The Ringwraiths for Raith Rovers as per Lord of the Rings

The Operations for Cove Rangers as per Covert Operations.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

McCall will now be busy putting together a squad to challenge.

Who should we re-sign?

Who should we sign?

Who should we get rid of?

All the loanee’s will go back.  Bell would be a shout but think it unlikely.  The rest not too fussed about.  

Williamson looks like he is away.

Personally I would either let go or use in swap deals if under contract the following.  O’Ware, Gordon, Murray, Lyons and Cardle.

Think we need goalie, centre half, right back and at least 3 midfielders of which a couple being wingers and a 3rd striker to cover Rudden/Graham injuries/suspensions.  Tiffoney would be a great start in the signing dept.  

If we could get Tiffoney then that would set us up nicely. Cardle was statistically one of the most creative players in the league - would he be moved on due to his age? I think if he was part of a rotation system or an impact sub, I would keep him.

We do need pace, especially if Tiffoney doesn't return.

Would love to see us look at Ross Doohan who must be nearing the end of his Celtic contract and has had a lost year and not played much.

Think he would be a long term solution to one of our positions that need strengthening. Good age and good keeper.

Connor Shields who is out of contract as well but I am sure we have missed the boat on him, having passed up on him when he went to Alloa.

Is Aaron Taylor Sinclair out of contract as well or am I aiming to high.:head_ball: 

4 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I was looking for  info on Jim Logan, who played for the Jags circa 1971, and came across  this. An online copy (50 pages, priced 25p)  of a 1971 souvenir handbook. 

Some interesting articles!

Screenshot_20210510-081837_Google.jpg

Great find! I'd forgotten all about that old site.

How cool would it be to see all of the old handbooks available in pdf. All programmes from the past too, for that matter. I'd never be away from the computer!

• Thanks 1