Montrose v The Champions

exiledjag

Probably a bit early to start this thread but thought might as well as Saturday's games will influence hoe we approach the final series of games next Tuesday. 

My main question is what team do we field at Links Park for this final fixture. 

Montrose need to win both outstanding games to have any chance of a play-off spot while one more point for Airdrie or Falkirk will mean Montrose finishing 5th. This is where I am going to assume they will finish! 

So a meaningless final game! 

If I were McCall or Big Wull I wouldn't play Rudden, Bannigan or Docherty. So Season over for these three. I would be inclined to play Cardle (captain), Gordon, McKenna, Greggan, McIver, Wright, Niang, Penrice, Williamson, Lyons and Murray from the start. Not sure of formation but probably 4-4-2. 

Perhaps  2-3 youngsters on the bench together with some of our regulars, for example, Graham, Foster, Sneddon, Brownie. 

If however Montrose are still in contention for a Play-off spot we will be obliged to play our strongest team. Still would be inclined to leave out the three superstars mentioned above. 

Thoughts! 

Not really bothered either. After the game last night McCall said 5 players probably shouldn’t have played - Bannigan,Docherty, Brownlie, Graham and Tiffoney.  
I guess then that either McKenna or Niang will start in the middle of defence and if Bell isn’t up for another game, I could see Penrith at Left centre half. 
Cardle, Gordon Moray and Lyons in midfield and Rudden and McIver up front

Williamson and Foster full backs and probably Wright in goal

Just think its so sad we have missed out on going to such games...... I think some.... Especially Falkirk,  may well have been sell outs. ..

With the fact my big ex Royal Marine budy hales from Montrose, we would have made our way up for that game too

Just so sad so many fans missing out... 

2 hours ago, allyo said:

I'm pretty sure Falkirk will.lose on Tuesday. 

So,  what way did Montrose vote last season then?  :innocent:

Against us! 

If it's a choice between  Montrose and Falkirk for me it's a no brainer - I would vote for Falkirk! 

Falkirk and their Chairman were strong supporters of Partick Thistle last summer!  

If  Falkirk beat or draw with  Airdrie or  we prevent Montrose winning then either way Falkirk are in the Play-off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Agree! 

We must though avoid possibility of  complaints related to fielding a weakened team.

So if we leave out any of our key players we should make sure we have plenty of medical evidence! 

McCall said in his post match interview that around five of the players wouldn't have normally played.

Expect at least that many changes v Montrose.

He named Bannigan, Docherty and Graham and said Tiffoney was running on fumes.

10 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

McCall said in his post match interview that around five of the players wouldn't have normally played.

Expect at least that many changes v Montrose.

He named Bannigan, Docherty and Graham and said Tiffoney was running on fumes.

Champagne fumes, I reckon.

24 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Agree! 

We must though avoid possibility of  complaints related to fielding a weakened team.

So if we leave out any of our key players we should make sure we have plenty of medical evidence! 

We've earned the right to experiment and rest players carrying injuries. That's part and parcel of league football.

I think Airdrie will rest a couple of players now they are pretty much confirmed in 3rd place. With goal difference Falkirk only really need a point to make top 4. So Falkirk's game against Airdrie could well be a re-rerun of West Germany v Austria from 1982. As Falkirk still have it in their hands I dont think any compliants about whatever side we put out will hold much water.

However I think Falkirk were poorly treated last season so I'd like to think we would help particularly as they voted with us and Montrose voted against us. The only question I have is would Falkirk fans see it as helping by getting them into the top 4 and having to suffer watching another 2 games?

If Falkirk do make top 4 they will play Morton. Morton were awful against Arbroath on Friday and for a must win game managed 0 shots on target and only 2 all game. Given recent history if anything is going to fire up the Falkirk players its that one. However the current Falkirk team could easily get embarrassed over 2 legs.

I would prefer games against Falkirk next season than games against Cove or Morton. Falkirk have a decent support and I really miss having decent crowds and atmosphere at games. Cove's pitch is awful, not much of a following and they remind a lot of Gretna. Morton are overdue a relegation and weren't exactly protesting when the league was called last year.

Although McCall said 5 players shouldn't have played, they've had a break now with Saturday off (4 days break) so it's possible one or two of the players mentioned will turn out after all so we needn't play too weakened a team.  I reckon though game time ought to be given to the likes of Lyons as suggested by poster above.  If fans had been allowed at the game I think he might have started with the team that won on Thursday and then made subs; but then again if fans had been allowed we'd all have been at Firhill to see it.  Probably  something like one of the teams suggested here will start but with maybe one of the 'knackered' players maybe recovered enough to start.  

I do not see any problem here. I would regard Penrice (unless pre-contracted elsewhere, in which case there is no point in playing him) as the only nailed on starter from the Falkirk game. He has been "lightly raced" recently for various reasons, and it would be good to build on his excellent performance. Hopefully he can nick a goal too, as I am sure that he would enjoy this!

Wright, Senna, McKenna, Gordon, Cardle, Murray and McIver did not start on Thursday, but all are recognised first team squad players who have significant numbers of starting and substitute appearances in vital games this season, so no objection could be taken to any of them. Lyons and Geggan have not been so prominent this season, but have proven records at this level. Bringing in Lyon and one or two younger players would hardly be unreasonable. 

I do not think that even Neil Doncaster could devise a way to throw the book at us for this, and  dock us sufficient points to deny us promotion! 

Edited by partickthedog
Spelling!
  • Like 2