Montrose v The Champions

exiledjag

35 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

As others have said Airdrie are the form team in the play offs, think they will play Morton in the final, with Airdrie winning. I seen on the Falkirk forum on p & b that Falkirk won 6 and drew 2 in their first 8 games, what a collapse they have had.

And lost 6 of their last 8 games. 

Glad we had our "collapse' in the first half of the season! 

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

Montrose had *everything* to play for, whereas we came into the game on the back of a well-deserved four-day bender.

Thinking similar. Last game of our previous championship winning season we could only draw 0-0 away to a part time outfit. The difference that day was Dumbarton had nothing to play for either. So I'd say a 2-3 defeat to a part time team that had everything to play for is certainly no worse than yon 0-0. I certainly never heard, or heard of, anyone complaining back then. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

2 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Perspective. It's not the end of the world against a side we've defeated twice already this season & 5-0 at home last month. We 100% need a few new faces in if hoping to mount a challenge next season & personally would be happy if we make the promotion play-offs next season & lay the foundations of a promotion side as Mccall already has done 2007-2011, then build on that to go for promotion to the Premiership the following season. So for me it's about keeping the nucleus of our strongest XI and taking it from there - can't be much worse than 2019-20 anyway so let's see how much better than that we can do...obviously we're still waiting to see who our main rivals are but reckon top 4 would be a decent result.

Our main rivals for top 4 in the Championship next season will be one (but possibly two) relegated PL team(s) plus from the Championship -  Dundee, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline and I hope ICT - as I can't stand the 3 mentioned. 

Although I have said possibly two PL teams I fully expect whichever Championship team makes the play-off final, propably Dundee, will lose out to the PL team (either Hamilton, Kilmarnock and Ross Co) .

I am going to put my head on the block here and say Hamilton will win their  final two games to retain, yet again, their PL place. This means my candidates for the Championship/play-off are, not in any order - Ross Co & Kilmarnock. 

Looks like being a very competitive league next year which should worry Ayr, Arbroath & QoS! A top 4 spot for us  would be some achievement! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Our main rivals for top 4 in the Championship next season will be one (but possibly two) relegated PL team(s) plus from the Championship -  Dundee, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline and I hope ICT - as I can't stand the 3 mentioned. 

Although I have said possibly two PL teams I fully expect whichever Championship team makes the play-off final, propably Dundee, will lose out to the PL team (either Hamilton, Kilmarnock and Ross Co) .

I am going to put my head on the block here and say Hamilton will win their  final two games to retain, yet again, their PL place. This means my candidates for the Championship/play-off are, not in any order - Ross Co & Kilmarnock. 

Looks like being a very competitive league next year which should worry Ayr, Arbroath & QoS! A top 4 spot for us  would be some achievement! 

Just now, Weebaw1 said:
7 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Can McCall persuade his targets to join us? 
Tiff and Bell would be my main ones. They were both superb and played with skill and passion. A progressive Thistle would be much preferable to a declining Livi and a non league team.

McCall’s contacts and knowledge of our came will hopefully allow us to receive be very competitive.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

True. That's why I'm saying if we can make top 4, keep our best players 1-2  years longer & build on that the following season I'll be more than happy!

Always disappointing to lose but not overly surprising with important players missing and Montrose needing to win.

It should give McCall an idea of what fringe players aren’t up to it (if he didn’t already know).

I think one of the commentary team (I may be wrong) on Thursday night claimed that they wouldn’t be disappointed if we kept every member of the squad for next season.

Probably some sentimentality in those thoughts after just witnessing a 5-0 win to clinch the league but in order to be competitive next year then we’ll need to strengthen.

One of Lambie’s great strengths was replacing guys who pretty much played every game for him in winning teams as he didn’t think they’d make the step up.

The players deserve to enjoy today and the party to follow for their efforts this season.

Will be interesting to see our activity over the summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

McCall waxing lyrical about young James Lyon and how he thinks he will breakthrough in Championship next season.  A product of Thistle Weir Academy so very encouraging to hear.

Agreed. He played very well and seemed to have that unquantifiable quality of "time on the ball".

One thing for next season: I like big Senna,.... but not as a centre half. I know that sometimes moving players into a new position can eventually look like a masterstroke, but I don't really feel this one, at least one what we saw this season. I'd rather see him further forward in midfield. 

About last night's game: the Montrose keeper had a bit of a nightmare against us last time, but last night he made a few important saves, and one was quite brilliant.

Edited by Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If you're a Falkirk fan you really don't want to look at those highlights. If any one of Wright's howler, Lyons forgetting how to shoot, Murray's miss, Montrose keeper's save from MacIver, Cardle's shot just going outside the post, the ball bouncing back off the post and hitting the Montrose keeper went the other way Falkirk would be in the playoffs.

For me I think last night was if anything about understanding which youth and fringe players McCall will persevere with.

From the youths:

Jamie Lyon - did well, McCall rates him and at 18 years old he's got time on his side

Billy Owens - didn't see enough of him to form an opinion but at 17 he's still got time to develop.

Charlie Reilly - I thought there were flashes of a player there and at 20 I think there may be value in keeping him.

Sena - Still wants to challenge every ball and looks panicky in possession. However he has the physique and agression to be a dominant centre half if he can learn when to challenge and when to hold back. Still very much a work in progress but there may be a player there.

From the fringe players:

Blair Lyons - didn't help himself last night and at 24 he's not got much time to show he's worth keeping around.

Shea Gordon - still not seeing a player capable of deputising for Bannigan or Docherty or play as a 3rd midfielder. On the plus side he is still only 23 but his contract is up shortly and I think we might be able to find a better alternative

Connor Murray - Had some decent games with the 4-2 win at Airdrie the one that comes to mind however he doesn't look like he'll hold down a starting spot next season. Decent option from the bench or as cover for injuries but is that enough?

Ciaran McKenna - Didn't look so good at centreback last night but he was paired with Sena. His form at right back has been good enough in my opinion to keep him at firhill but he will need to do more to earn a regular starting spot in the championship. Decent squd option as he can cover most of the defensive positions.

Ryan Williamson - He was fairly anonymous last night. In a team that was full of youngsters I expected him to lead more but he did what he usually did when we are away from home and really didn't make an impact. To my mind he's too much of a luxury and at 25 I don't see him changing much.

Ross MacIver - He gets into a lot of good possessions and is pretty good at winning flick ons. However his finishing needs a lot of work. If he was a permanent signing I would persevere with him (and I'd put him in the youth category). He's very much one that I'm 50/50 on.

Keiran Wright - depsite last night's howler he has shown over the season to have real potential. I would like us to get him on a permanent basis but not sure how realistic that is

For completeness Cardle, Foster, Tiffoney, Rudden  and Penrice also played last night. Tiffoney is a no brainer and needs to be prioritised as a signing. Rudden is under contract but I wonder if we should be looking at extending his deal?

For me I would get Foster signed up as a priority. He's cruised this league despite playing at left back for almost all of it.

Penrice looks a different player at right midfield so perhaps worth another deal if he can push on and form a midfield 3 with Bannigan and Docherty.

Cardle is an odd one. He doesn't look great for most of the game but he does have some record for assists and goals. He's probably now more a supersub than a starter but would he be happy with that role and would it be cost effective for us to keep him if that is his role next year?

Edited by laukat
typos

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

One thing for next season: I like big Senna,.... but not as a centre half. I know that sometimes moving players into a new position can eventually look like a masterstroke, but I don't really feel this one, at least one what we saw this season. I'd rather see him further forward in midfield. 

About last night's game: the Montrose keeper had a bit of a nightmare against us last time, but last night he made a few important saves, and one was quite brilliant.

I’m going to be brutally honest the big chaps feet are simply  not quick enough to play midfield, he is not technically gifted , I bet if anyone on here spent 20 minutes max looking at a couple minutes each game he’s played this season , I would like to think you can see what I see, if you cannot then in all seriousness your watching a different sport from me.

Club is going into the championship with standards being raised at every club, we as a club must raise ours ,  I’m sorry but the big chap just doesn’t have the ability to play at this level next season both centre back and midfield.