What's your name?

allyo

21 hours ago, Tyler Machamilton said:

Kenny MacDonald  taken to first game by my dad also a diehard  in 1965. Lived in Linwood in the early days now in North Uist but managed at least one game  a month till lock down . Was lucky enough to be at Hampden for League Cup victory . Unlucky enough LOL to be at just about every final game of the season for past 40 years . Some good ones and some not so good . My sons both follow thistle and grandsons  5&6 also  . They  have travelled from Western Isles to Firhill  with me and both have thistle strips they wear regularly  out playing at home . Born in Elderslie Street just off St Vincent street in Glasgow  .

My nom de plume  is because of my passion for cycling  ,:- racing , touring , bicycle polo , coaching , building and teaching cycle mechanics 

Hi Kenny,

Mel Swan, Killbarchan, we used to be neighbours - same street in fact.  From memory, we went to a game together many years ago.  

I grew up in the south side but also spent part of my childhood staying with grandparents in the old Henderson St (before demolished) then in Collina Street, Wyndford.  It was during one of my stays that I attended my first match (I'm guessing around 1964/5 and various games thereafter. Also went with family and mates to see other teams - QP, Clyde, Pollok and Rangers - before finally setting for Thistle. It just seemed right).  Over the years I used to be very regular home and away until work go in the way.  However, that may change when my wife lets me retire (date t.b.c.). 

Small world stuff - I was talking to one of your mates, Willie Cosh,  just last week - one of the good guys; but we'll leave his favourite team out of it!  We also share a common passion for cycling; although I'm not a JWCC member. Like the username btw.

Youngest son is Thistle daft and now stays on Jura - trying to bag as many Strava segments, PBs and KOMs on the one road available!  Rides in Belgian national team kit for obvious reasons. Oldest  son was once taken to Firhill but didn't get the bug. Nom de plume is nothing fancy and is an add-on to a name given to me by one of my sons years ago.

Cheers

Edited by Meister Jag

2 hours ago, Aliballibee said:.

I'm pretty sure one of my Mum's cousins played for Thistle (from memory Billy Wright) and our neighbour, Jim McClure once gave me a pair of 1st team socks - old wool version - I believe he did odd jobs around Firhill.

Assuming it’s the same Jimmy McClure, he was a very learned and friendly gentleman who used to act as doorman to the directors lounges and hospitality for many years.  Impeccably turned out and always pleasant he was part of the match day experience till his passing.

While I’m here - Michael Max aged 53.  First taken to Firhill by my uncles in 1976 and found it impossible to let go the Thistle attraction.  A 2-0 win over Arbroath with goals from Joe Craig and Dennis McQuade! 

Have had the pleasure of helping out doing various tasks through the years where currently doing commentary on the stream as well as host on match day at hospitality (sadly not recently!)

Perhaps the best part is knowing so many Thistle fans who share the same goal of seeing the club reach as high as it can knowing full well it will have its ups and downs.  We may not always agree about what route we should take but do love the fact that everyone has an opinion to share and would never criticise anyone for that opinion.

Had lots of highs at the club but being good friends with club President Robert Reid as well as getting to know and be friends with the great John Lambie perhaps trumps anything that has happened on the pitch.

• Like 2

John Taylor turned 70 a couple of months ago. Spent my formative years living  in Raglan Street, near the Round Toll!  The family was decanted to Lambhill around 1961. 

My dad (a Morton) supporter took me to Firhill when I was 9/10. Big crowd, great atmosphere and I think a 3-0 or 4-1 win. When I saw the red and yellow hoops I was hooked. My favourite players were George Niven and Neil Duffy. 

Lived in Glasgow, various areas, and due to work  Elderslie, Edinburgh and NE Scotland. Although based in the NE I spent about 6 years delivering training courses in the Middle East.

I bought my first ever season ticket for this season. 

I played football for High Possil and North Kelvinside Schools and for Possilpark and Sighthill YMCAs.

13 hours ago, michael m said:

Assuming it’s the same Jimmy McClure, he was a very learned and friendly gentleman who used to act as doorman to the directors lounges and hospitality for many years.  Impeccably turned out and always pleasant he was part of the match day experience till his passing.

Hi Michael - pretty sure that will be the same person. I was never 100% sure exactly what he did but as you say a gentleman to the end.

Hi

Martin Towers.

44 years old. Moved from Drumchapel to Summerston aged 10 and started taking an interest in football once I started Secondary School (John Paul Academy). Felt I should support the "local team" and as I also have an affinity with the underdog that meant Partick Thistle. Was lucky in that we were getting promoted to the top flight at that time but quickly realised that it was not always like that with The Jags however I wouldn't have it any other way!

Billy McCallum 58, also a member of the Erskine supporters bus , late 70’s early 80’s, Hope your keeping good Dougie. Living in Fleetwood as user name denotes.  Dad was a jags fan and remember getting lifted over the turnstiles at a very early age. He took me to and from the 71 Final  in a Celtic supporters bus that his workmates were members from Renfrew cross , what an  enjoyable return journey that was ! Not posted for a while,  quite enjoy just reading and enjoying most of the banter that is posted on here.

Kit Atkinson, 63.

Born in Newcastle, family moved from Liverpool to Bishopbriggs when I was 4 years old. My friends and I did not have anyone to take us to the football and their dads came from Maryhill, so Firhill was the only choice. We had to wait until we were 14 years old to be able to go on our own (that means 1972, missed the cup final dammit!). Still remember getting lifted over occasionally at 14 years old!

Frank Coulston was one of my PE teachers at Bishopbriggs High School for three years before he left to go to Denny High School (for others who went to Bishopbriggs High School, "Jumping Jimmy" was the other PE teacher!). Spoke to Frank at the 40th Cup Final Anniversary celebrations at Hampden, and he still remembered me - I was heavily involved in sports at high school.

Fate brought my wife and I together, as it turned out she was also a Thistle fan. We have both been volunteering at the club for 21 years now, initially selling programmes and 50/50s then looking after the ballboys and ballgirls. My wife Fiona is also the club's Child Wellbeing and Protection Officer.

3 hours ago, FleetwoodJagreborn said:

Billy McCallum 58, also a member of the Erskine supporters bus , late 70’s early 80’s, Hope your keeping good Dougie. Living in Fleetwood as user name denotes.  Dad was a jags fan and remember getting lifted over the turnstiles at a very early age. He took me to and from the 71 Final  in a Celtic supporters bus that his workmates were members from Renfrew cross , what an  enjoyable return journey that was ! Not posted for a while,  quite enjoy just reading and enjoying most of the banter that is posted on here.

Cheers Billy. Hope to catch you next time your up in Glasgow. 

Hi Folks,

great thread.

i'm John Butler, 52 from Partick, although I’ve been living in Aberdeen for 30 years now. I have a flat in Glasgow so I’m home every other weekend in normal times.....usually to match in with trips to Firhill.

Didnt follow football at all as a kid but first went to Firhill when I started at Strathclyde Uni in 1986 ( the classic tale) and got hooked. For my 30th birthday my wife bought me my first season ticket and I’ve had one ever since.

started taking my youngest daughter to see Thistle four years ago...hence the photo.

We are both looking forward to getting back next season.

Robert Watson (65). Like some others on this thread my first Firhill experience was in the early sixties. My family stayed in Braeside street at the time. I was taken by my Uncle who was a Thistle fan , my father was not a football fan or a fan of any sport. I went to Firhill a few times after that but i did not become a regular till 68/69 season, by that time we had moved to Pollockshaws. Since that season  i have rarely missed a Thistle home game. The first time was September 95 and that was for a holiday to Florida. The other time was when my son Robert was in intensive care for 10 1/2 months. My wife and myself spent at least 7 hours at the hospital every day. Like any other fan the greatest day i have had supporting Thistle was being at Hampden for the 1971 league cup final. I have many other fond memories supporting Thistle but others high on my list are only a few days apart. The challenge cup final was a great day out even though we lost the game. 3 Days later our game at Firhill against Morton is another great memory, not only did we all but seal the title that night, but apart from Robert and myself in our usual spot behind the goal there was one other person with us that night. That person was my brother in law who is a Morton fan, great night all round. I think if things were different and fans would have been allowed in on Thursday night the atmosphere would have been similar to that night in 2013. Because of the magnificent plaque in Robert's memory in the John Lambie stand and the other things that have been done by Thistle fans in Robert's memory i have managed to speak to a number of posters on this forum and having a pre match chat with @partickthedog is now a regular occurence. When we are allowed back in to Firhill it would be a pleasure to  speak to more forum users. I always stand in the same spot just behind the goal in the John Lambie stand.:fan:

• Like 3

Donnie MacIsaac,  65+.  First home near St George's Cross. Used to spend my childhood  Saturdays at the George cinema  in St George's Rd,  till a group of us, all aged around  14, went up to Firhill. Allowed  only to reserve games to start with, but quickly graduated to the real thing!

Moved to Kent in the mid 80s, and although following from afar, the number of games I've attended has fallen away over the years, especially when I married and our son came along. The last game I intended to go to was the Alloa game cancelled in March last year.  Myself and my son were on the way to Glasgow on the Friday before the game, and he uttered words I'll never forget.  " Dad  - tomorrow's  Scottish football has been cancelled." The rest of that season, we know, is history.

I will be back at Firhill when football restarts, so hopefully I'll  put a few faces to names.

56 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Donnie MacIsaac,  65+.  First home near St George's Cross. Used to spend my childhood  Saturdays at the George cinema  in St George's Rd,  till a group of us, all aged around  14, went up to Firhill. Allowed  only to reserve games to start with, but quickly graduated to the real thing!

Moved to Kent in the mid 80s, and although following from afar, the number of games I've attended has fallen away over the years, especially when I married and our son came along. The last game I intended to go to was the Alloa game cancelled in March last year.  Myself and my son were on the way to Glasgow on the Friday before the game, and he uttered words I'll never forget.  " Dad  - tomorrow's  Scottish football has been cancelled." The rest of that season, we know, is history.

I will be back at Firhill when football restarts, so hopefully I'll  put a few faces to names.

You will of course be a well kent face!            Sorry. Fetches coat and balaclava, and exits by the nearest vomitory.:ph34r::getmecoat:

• Haha 1

'Jings, crivins, help ma boab ' Am I the auldest on here. My name is Stewart Murray and I now live in Falkirk. As a hobby I've written my first chapter of my life as a jags fan, and as I have said before, I started going to Firhill not long after Hitler was trying to bomb the chip shops in Knightswood.

Thistle Forever

My first Partick Thistle game

The date was Saturday the 7th of September 1948 and I was sitting at the kitchen table eating my usual plate of porridge, when my Mother announced that instead of going shopping in Glasgow city centre, we were going to visit my brother Ian and his new wife Nan at their flat in Park Road. I was  naturedly

ly delighted at this news, as I was only eight years old at the time, and nothing was more boring than going shopping. My father had just died in January, and my mother found times very hard and a day out in Glasgow[ We lived in Priory Road, Knightswood] helped her in her grief. The only enjoyment I had, was we made time for afternoon tea at Craig's tearooms, where you selected from a three tier cake stand. Starting at the top, you had freshly made sandwiches, the middle tier was the scones and best of all on the bottom plate, was the delicious cream cakes.

There was a slight drizzle in the air when we left on the 11A bus from Knightswood Cross and fifteen minutes later, we arrived at my brother Ian's flat at 19 Park road.

Another surprise was awaiting for me that Saturday, when my brother announced he was taking me to Firhill for the Jags game against our rivals Clyde. My brother was not really a football fan, so I guess he used the game

as an excuse for my mother to  get to know his wife Nan a bit better, as he kept the wedding to himself. Nan came from Airdrie, and her nephew was Paul Jonquin, who played and captained Airdrie for many years.

We arrived in plenty of time for the kick-off and I was sent down to near the front at the North end. Firhill was very different to what it is now. The ground was oval shaped and as it was used for Greyhound racing for a couple of nights a week, gantries with lights attached, were placed around the ground. The north end had an enclosure round it, with pie stalls and the greyhound tote offices on the back wall. A large totaliser board stood in the far left hand corner at the Glasgow end.

It was not the first game I had been to, my brother in law, George Lockhart [ Married to my sister Jean] took me to see the League cup final between Falkirk and East Fife at Hampden Park. The crowd was not far off 58.000 and with being not able to see much, and no goals being scored, it was not the greatest game for my first match.      

Five minutes to kick-off at Firhill, I stood opened mouth, I had never been so excited in my life. The aroma coming from the pie stalls, the smell of the smoke coming from all the tenement chimney pots in Firhill road, fans arriving and shaking hands with their pals. You could see the excitement in their faces as they awaited the start of the game. Suddenly a roar went up, eight young boys ran out who looked not much older than myself. It was the ball  boys. Then a  explosion of noise heralded the Jags onto the park, followed by their opponents from the East side of the City, the mighty Clyde.

Thistle went on to win the game 3 - 2 with goals from Walker, Wright and Brown. My favourite player that day was Tommy Wright, a fast raiding right-winger, who signed for Sunderland later on in the season.

I went home a very happy boy that day, with the customary bag of chips after a game.

The start of a wonderful relationship with a great Scottish football club

• Like 10

2 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

'Jings, crivins, help ma boab ' Am I the auldest on here. My name is Stewart Murray and I now live in Falkirk. As a hobby I've written my first chapter of my life as a jags fan, and as I have said before, I started going to Firhill not long after Hitler was trying to bomb the chip shops in Knightswood.

Thistle Forever

My first Partick Thistle game

The date was Saturday the 7th of September 1948 and I was sitting at the kitchen table eating my usual plate of porridge, when my Mother announced that instead of going shopping in Glasgow city centre, we were going to visit my brother Ian and his new wife Nan at their flat in Park Road. I was  naturedly

ly delighted at this news, as I was only eight years old at the time, and nothing was more boring than going shopping. My father had just died in January, and my mother found times very hard and a day out in Glasgow[ We lived in Priory Road, Knightswood] helped her in her grief. The only enjoyment I had, was we made time for afternoon tea at Craig's tearooms, where you selected from a three tier cake stand. Starting at the top, you had freshly made sandwiches, the middle tier was the scones and best of all on the bottom plate, was the delicious cream cakes.

Great read, PW! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd enjoy reading more chapters!

I'm curious: where were Craig's tearooms?

Yo! Alex McMahon from Partick. Was a baby in Anniesland and some school age times by the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond. ALX was/is my pinball high score tag. In the old days you only got three letters.

Dave Donnelly, 43, currently living in Rutherglen though was born in Edinburgh, schooled in Dumbarton, then onto uni in Glasgow. 

Was fairly uninterested in football for my school days but thanks to school segregation I had a vague affiliation with one of the ugly sisters. After school I began to take more of an interest in the national team’s fortunes and noticed how much sweeter victory felt when it came more rarely. Well, I probably took that to an extreme by choosing Thistle as my club but I was living in the west end and they were the obvious choice. Never looked back.

(Used to be in a band called The Marcia Blaine School For Girls, hence the username)

I’ve noted with some disappointment that none of this site’s resident keyboard hard-men have opted to identify themselves on this thread yet. Shame, it’s a nice idea.