What's your name?

allyo

2 hours ago, marcia blaine said:

Dave Donnelly, 43, currently living in Rutherglen though was born in Edinburgh, schooled in Dumbarton, then onto uni in Glasgow. 

Was fairly uninterested in football for my school days but thanks to school segregation I had a vague affiliation with one of the ugly sisters. After school I began to take more of an interest in the national team’s fortunes and noticed how much sweeter victory felt when it came more rarely. Well, I probably took that to an extreme by choosing Thistle as my club but I was living in the west end and they were the obvious choice. Never looked back.

(Used to be in a band called The Marcia Blaine School For Girls, hence the username)

I’ve noted with some disappointment that none of this site’s resident keyboard hard-men have opted to identify themselves on this thread yet. Shame, it’s a nice idea. 

Surely you must respect 'keyboard hard men ' their anonymity 

On 5/5/2021 at 2:05 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Great read, PW! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd enjoy reading more chapters!

I'm curious: where were Craig's tearooms?

They had a place near the bottom of Sauchiehall street about opposite Lumleys and also one in Gordon Street. The Murray family are having a hard time of it at this moment but maybe later during the close season I will write chapter two.

16 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

They had a place near the bottom of Sauchiehall street about opposite Lumleys and also one in Gordon Street. The Murray family are having a hard time of it at this moment but maybe later during the close season I will write chapter two.

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time, hope things improve for you and your family. I look forward to chapter 2.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, marcia blaine said:

Dave Donnelly, 43, currently living in Rutherglen though was born in Edinburgh, schooled in Dumbarton, then onto uni in Glasgow. 

Was fairly uninterested in football for my school days but thanks to school segregation I had a vague affiliation with one of the ugly sisters. After school I began to take more of an interest in the national team’s fortunes and noticed how much sweeter victory felt when it came more rarely. Well, I probably took that to an extreme by choosing Thistle as my club but I was living in the west end and they were the obvious choice. Never looked back.

(Used to be in a band called The Marcia Blaine School For Girls, hence the username)

I’ve noted with some disappointment that none of this site’s resident keyboard hard-men have opted to identify themselves on this thread yet. Shame, it’s a nice idea. 

Do you have a brother Dougie ? 

Hi,  Gordon Scott (64). Been going to Firhill since moving back to Glasgow from the Highlands via Sweden in 1998. Was brought up in a wee village north of Glasgow so supporting a football team wasn't really on the radar until I left home and by that time I was more interested in sex, drugs and rock n roll. Thistle were the first team I supported and you would think at 40 I would have had more sense! :doh:

Great idea for a thread.

John White, 56. I was originally a massive Morton fan when growing up in Greenock. Moved to Glasgow about 25 years ago. My son, when he was about 8 ( now 18) wanted to go to a footie game so took him to Firhill as we live in Westerton and was certain he wasn't going to see either of the OF. One of our first games was Christie Elliot's debut and I was hooked from then on.

ST holder now for 6 years with my boy and pal, travel to as many away games as possible on the Jordanhill bus, have our names on a brick in the JHS, sponsor a player each year and take constant slagging from many of my old pals who still go to Cappielow.

Proud to be a jag.

BTW, Marcia Blaine-I'm a fellow musician and loved The Invisible Swordsman. Great tune, that.

PS, I'm the glaiket looking guy circled in my profile pic struggling to clap properly.

Edited by westertonjagfan
  • Like 1

Graeme Cowie, imminently to turn 30, now resident in Charlton, South East London. Lived in Greater London (most of the pandemic aside) since 2017 for work reasons (initially in the civil service, now for Parliament). Previously Jordanhill from 2009 for University, but grew up in Kirkcaldy and Aberdeen.

I became a Jag in secondary school, thanks to the influence of one of my dad’s students.

I had gone to a few games at Starks Park and Pittodrie in the past, and even the occasional game in the Exec Box at Tannadice (my late grandad, for reasons I still don’t quite understand, had access to the Box occasionally despite being a Celtic fan…) but never really followed a team closely. Both my dad and my dad’s student are Thistle fans, but my dad isn’t really into football, while my mum is a Dunfermline fan.

Adam got me into games after I’d drifted from football after primary school. Mostly I’d go to games on an easy train journey: Dundee, Perth and Stirling, with a cup visit to my uncle in Dunfermline and a quaint drive to Deveronvale. But my first home match at Firhill was a 0-0 draw against Queen of the South during Jimmy Bone’s interregnum.

Listening and occasionally watching from afar, I almost quite literally chose to go to University in Glasgow rather than Edinburgh so I could become a season ticket holder. The rest is history.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:42 PM, Woodstock Jag said:

Graeme Cowie, imminently to turn 30, now resident in Charlton, South East London. Lived in Greater London (most of the pandemic aside) since 2017 for work reasons (initially in the civil service, now for Parliament). Previously Jordanhill from 2009 for University, but grew up in Kirkcaldy and Aberdeen.

I became a Jag in secondary school, thanks to the influence of one of my dad’s students.

I had gone to a few games at Starks Park and Pittodrie in the past, and even the occasional game in the Exec Box at Tannadice (my late grandad, for reasons I still don’t quite understand, had access to the Box occasionally despite being a Celtic fan…) but never really followed a team closely. Both my dad and my dad’s student are Thistle fans, but my dad isn’t really into football, while my mum is a Dunfermline fan.

Adam got me into games after I’d drifted from football after primary school. Mostly I’d go to games on an easy train journey: Dundee, Perth and Stirling, with a cup visit to my uncle in Dunfermline and a quaint drive to Deveronvale. But my first home match at Firhill was a 0-0 draw against Queen of the South during Jimmy Bone’s interregnum.

Listening and occasionally watching from afar, I almost quite literally chose to go to University in Glasgow rather than Edinburgh so I could become a season ticket holder. The rest is history.

April 2007 - The QoS manager that day was one Ian McCall.

I remember that game well, but not for anything that occurred on the park.

Both sides were around the relegation zone. Let's just say a 0-0  'suited' both sides and neither seemed particularly intent on achieving anything other than a point.

Edited by Barney Rubble