What's your name's 5 a side football team?

This follows on from the What's your name? thread. Having revealed your true first name, if you wish to do so, please tell us your 5 a side team composed of players with the same first name as you. Being called Alan, I am going to jump in first before Allyo gets any ideas (happy to consider loan and swap deals).

The rules are very flexible. AuldJag can have Robert, Robbie, Bob, Bobby etc (but not Auld, as he managed, but never played, and its a surname as well).  All diminutives of William and Alexander are fair game as are all variants of Alistair. John can have Juan, Jean-Yves etc. I am much more generous than that guy who runs the pop-up quiz (going to be struggling with Philip!).:sarcastic:

Anyway, I will kick off. I am assuming all players are at the peak of their Thistle form and fitness.

In goals, the one and only Alan Rough.

Locking up the defence, but also probing down the sides and swinging them in, Alan Dinnie and Alan Archibald.

Bossing the middle of the park, putting his foot on the ball, covering the gaps when required and drifting forward languidly to score, Alan Hansen.

Pace, trickery and fire power up front, and because he so deserves success in a Thistle jersey, Alan Morgan.

Beat that!

I'm not playing this stupid game.  :white_flag: 

Only 16 Ian's or Iain's have played for Thistle, 10 of them midfielders and none of them keepers. I wouldn't want McCall or Maxwell anywhere near my team and half a dozen are before my time. I could confuse the opposition with a midfield of Cameron and Cameron

8 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Only 16 Ian's or Iain's have played for Thistle, 10 of them midfielders and none of them keepers. I wouldn't want McCall or Maxwell anywhere near my team and half a dozen are before my time. I could confuse the opposition with a midfield of Cameron and Cameron

Given that it is 5 a side, you could make the tactical choice to play all 5 midfielders to dominate the ball, and have a "backie-in".

On 5/10/2021 at 9:50 PM, partickthedog said:

Given that it is 5 a side, you could make the tactical choice to play all 5 midfielders to dominate the ball, and have a "backie-in".

In the old fashioned 5 a side competitions played in the summer that was exactly probable - never picked a goalie!

On 5/10/2021 at 1:44 PM, Dick Dastardly said:

Ian Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Erskine

Kris Doolan 

Christie Elliott 

Chris Turner

Chris Duggan 

As far as I'm aware I've exhausted the list of players called Chris or similar.

Edited to add, all out attack, aim to outscore the opposition, probably reliant on the first three performing.

Edited by twinny
  • Like 1