Euro 2020 Prediction League

BowenBoys

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Thanks for running it BB. Tough luck AJ. I've not seen any of the game, was flying from London just after kick off and now in a taxi home from Edinburgh airport

Thanks Jaggy, well done for winning it. :clapping: A tense final day, just like the final itself.

Many thanks to @BowenBoys for the time and effort he puts into running this and many other competitions.

All the best to Christian Eriksen for whatever the future holds for him.

21 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Thanks Jaggy, well done for winning it. :clapping: A tense final day, just like the final itself.

Many thanks to @BowenBoys for the time and effort he puts into running this and many other competitions.

Just want to agree with all these points. Congratulations to Jaggy & Auld Jag, and big thank you to BB for all the work you put into this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Says it all.  Congrats Jaggy .  Hit the crossbar AJ. Unlucky.  Many thanks  BB, for an excellent competition  during  a domestic football hiatus! Or so it seems:clapping:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BILL.H said:

No correct results from me for the Q/Fs, Semi/Fs, or Final, so happy with 3rd place.

Congratulations to Jaggy, well done.

And thanks to BB for the time and effort taken to add extra interest to the Euro`s

out of likes

8 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

out of likes

10 hours ago, jaggy said:

Thanks for running it BB. Tough luck AJ. I've not seen any of the game, was flying from London just after kick off and now in a taxi home from Edinburgh airport

got home for the penalties. England should be proud (even if they had 6 home games) but I don't understand why a manager who missed a vital penalty in a shoot out 25 years ago left the last 2 penalties on the shoulders of very young boys who were barely on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

got home for the penalties. England should be proud (even if they had 6 home games) but I don't understand why a manager who missed a vital penalty in a shoot out 25 years ago left the last 2 penalties on the shoulders of very young boys who were barely on the pitch. 

There's no doubt that they did well, and I find the criticism of Southgate from some quarters over the top. He's put together the best England team in years. 

BUT......

Despite their home advantage:

Couldn't score against one of the weakest teams in the tournament (Scotland)

Needed and own-goal and a rebound from a penalty that never should have been awarded to win the semi-final

Relying on somebody who should take to every match he plays in wearing a snorkel and flippers.

And yet already I've seen social media comments about them surely going to "bring it home" in the next World Cup.

At least we generally don't have illusions of grandeur, having learned our lesson after being led down that path by the Scottish media in 1978.

Edited by Jaggernaut

9 hours ago, jaggy said:

It surprised me that none of the pundits mentioned this at the time.  I don't follow English football enough to really comment but scapegoats came to mind. Had they scored it would have been plaudited as a bit of managerial,  tactical ingenuity.

How many Thistle substitutes have taken penalties in shoot outs? I am thinking Kris Doolan in the Challenge Cup Final, but there may be other examples. Who was the latest in terms of game time to come on, and therefore the most likely to be regarded as a "penalty-taking substitute"?

[I would tend to ignore League Cup group stage mini-shoot outs, where there is little pressure, and focus on situations where there is immediate jeapordy as regards Cup or promotion/relegation play off elimination.]

13 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

How many Thistle substitutes have taken penalties in shoot outs? I am thinking Kris Doolan in the Challenge Cup Final, but there may be other examples. Who was the latest in terms of game time to come on, and therefore the most likely to be regarded as a "penalty-taking substitute"?

[I would tend to ignore League Cup group stage mini-shoot outs, where there is little pressure, and focus on situations where there is immediate jeapordy as regards Cup or promotion/relegation play off elimination.]

In reverse Tim Krul coming on at 120 minutes and saving two in the shootout was remarkable. 

2 hours ago, jaf said:

Thanks to BB for his efforts to keep us entertained this summer - been good fun.

Congrats to all those near the top and of course the winner!

Seconded.

But remember that those guys wouldn't be near the top without the contributions of us cannon fodder types lower down.

So, a big hand to all us (perennial) losers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2