McCall and This Season……

javeajag

So just met Ian McCall in Hughenden and congratulated him on this season.

I then asked him about next season and the summary is ...

1 there is a board meeting tonight to discuss his proposal to sign 5 A listers ( his term) 

2 he believes we should push the boat out to build on the momentum of this season without getting the club in debt

3 he is hopeful of signing tiffoney but he is not one of the 5 A listers 

Edited by javeajag
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

So that will be Hannibal, Face, BA, Murdock and the token eye candy they added to the show. Assuming of course no else can help, and we can find them then we might hire them.

Steady on, we are Partick Thistle. I pity the fool that thinks our plan will come together

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I couldn't find one footballer called A Lister, never mind five of them.  There was an Ian Lister used to play for Aberdeen, Raith Rovers etc in the 1960s and early 70s,  but thats it!!  :detective: :head_ball:

What about A-Lister Roy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, javeajag said:

So just met Ian McCall in Hughenden and congratulated him on this season.

I then asked him about next season and the summary is ...

1 there is a board meeting tonight to discuss his proposal to sign 5 A listers ( his term) 

2 he believes we should push the boat out to build on the momentum of this season without getting the club in debt

3 he is hopeful of signing tiffoney but he is not one of the 5 A listers 

You would expect him to have a list of prime targets, but as we know seldom do we get the 1st choice. It seems a bit off saying Tiffoney isn’t one of them as it might put him off signing if we don’t get the A lister.

I suspect McCall's use of the term "A Lister" is partly about their football skills but also about their profile, experience and the wage they demand.

So perhaps Stephen Dobbie could be an "A Lister" because he is well known as a goalscorer, played at a high level but will also need a decent wage to make him want to commute from England to Glasgow.

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

I see Dundee United have let Paul McMullan go. He's a bit of a diver but a fast, tricky player who gets his share of goals. He previously played with McCall at Ayr and did well. I wonder if he's a target?

According to Wikipedia he is about to go to Dundee as a result of his loan there this season

19 hours ago, javeajag said:

Partick Thistle can confirm that Bradley Renfrew, Andrew Rodden, Luke Scullion and Dean Watson, will not be offered new contracts with the club.

I would imagine it would be tough developing kids during the pandemic. Hope it's not damaged our youth system much.