McCall and This Season……

javeajag

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but Foster was on Off The Ball today and made a couple of hints he would still be with us next season, so I’m expecting he will be one of the announcements next weeks. Also gave his league win bonus (£2k) to 4 Thistle youth players who were in the squad. Personally think it’s a great move give how many positions he has played this season. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, CrimeWriterJag said:

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but Foster was on Off The Ball today and made a couple of hints he would still be with us next season, so I’m expecting he will be one of the announcements next weeks. Also gave his league win bonus (£2k) to 4 Thistle youth players who were in the squad. Personally think it’s a great move give how many positions he has played this season. 

Nice gesture from Foster.

40 minutes ago, CrimeWriterJag said:

That’s an incredible gesture from Foster 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

That’s an incredible gesture from Foster 

Foster was terrific in the 2nd half of the season. He was an excellent influence and obviously enjoyed his football again. He deserves his contract.

However I’m concerned about an ageing squad as he, Bell, Graham, Cardle are all well into their 30’s , all vital members of our title winning squad. Can we afford to re-sign them all?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Foster was terrific in the 2nd half of the season. He was an excellent influence and obviously enjoyed his football again. He deserves his contract.

However I’m concerned about an ageing squad as he, Bell, Graham, Cardle are all well into their 30’s , all vital members of our title winning squad. Can we afford to re-sign them all?

And possibly Dobbie(39) signing?  Might as well sign Doolan and make Archie player coach.

I like Penrice and also hope that he stays. He’s a talented player but I’m not sure we’ve found his best position, as the number of games in which he has been truly influential have been small. Falkirk at home a few weeks ago was probably the best game I remember him having, playing almost on the right wing- every time he got the ball thistle looked like they would score. So whilst I’d be sorry to see him go, I don’t think it would be a disaster if he left. 

9 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I think the manager will look to have that balance between youth and experience. Players like Sena, Rudden, Lyons and Tiffoney should all have their best days ahead of them but will need that bit of experience around them at various stages of the season. I would not be concerned if all the guys you mention signed as they are the right type of older player, if we were signing guys who were just on the look out for one final payday and going through the motions that would be different but I don't think anyone could say that of these guys.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I can honestly say that I wouldn't be fussed he left. He's been pretty much ordinary for at least the last 3 seasons. 

Yes but imo he has not been played in his best position most of those games.  As other poster said look how influential he was in midfield vs Falkirk and when Livi had him on loan previously they raved about him whilst playing midfield.  I always mind how Davie Irons became a real good player when Lambie changed his position and I think this could be the key with Penrice.

Edited by elevenone

On 5/14/2021 at 2:54 PM, javeajag said:

Partick Thistle can confirm that Bradley Renfrew, Andrew Rodden, Luke Scullion and Dean Watson, will not be offered new contracts with the club.

I saw the above on the OS.

I don't know anything about these players so  was going to ask if anyone who does know them is surprised by their release. 

I did notice Rodden was on the bench a few times! 

39 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Yes but imo he has not been played in his best position most of those games.  As other poster said look how influential he was in midfield vs Falkirk and when Livi had him on loan previously they raved about him whilst playing midfield.  I always mind how Davie Irons became a real good player when Lambie changed his position and I think this could be the key with Penrice.

I agree with this. I also think we need to cut Penrice some slack. His introduction to the first team was at a time when we had a hopeless manager, a poor squad and a completely negative environment.

On loan at East Fife and Livingston  their fans raved about him as a midfield player. What do we do  we play this young man  at left back and, in the games I saw, leave him generally unsupported and exposed. 

I don't think it's any surprise that his best games for us are when he is in midfield  with support all around him.  I would certainly like to keep him and think he would do well as a midfield player alongside Bannigan, Docherty (and a new signing). Gordon is not a midfield player! 

12 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Likewise I'd be a bit alarmed about age and pace. There's maybe a limit to how many Old Heids-Good to Have Around the Squad mentors we need.

That said Cardle, Bell & Foster are probably the easiest to deal with in terms of extending their contracts. With that in mind if we re-sign any of them in the imminent future the squad could (would) look  for a time artificially slow and aged.  I'd like to think McCall would then be concentrating on younger players with potential to improve. Players that may take a bit longer to bring on board. I'd also like to believe re-signing the Old Heids will be indicative of an increase in squad size, bringing in turn a sizeable reduction in average age. 

Penrice is a difficult one as I think there’s a player in there. He also was in and out the team as well as the different positions. During this time, Gordon was more often starting every game and with the exception of the occasional goal offered very little. Would rather keep Penrice and get rid of Gordon, who I’ve never been convinced with. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Likewise I'd be a bit alarmed about age and pace. There's maybe a limit to how many Old Heids-Good to Have Around the Squad mentors we need.

That said Cardle, Bell & Foster are probably the easiest to deal with in terms of extending their contracts. With that in mind if we re-sign any of them in the imminent future the squad could (would) look  for a time artificially slow and aged.  I'd like to think McCall would then be concentrating on younger players with potential to improve. Players that may take a bit longer to bring on board. I'd also like to believe re-signing the Old Heids will be indicative of an increase in squad size, bringing in turn a sizeable reduction in average age. 

It is a difficult one to judge. There is no doubt that our form improved immensely when Bell came in. Foster was pretty consistent during the season and Cardle created something almost every game after the restart and Graham’s goals speak for themself.  However, the good form also coincided with Rudden coming good, the introduction of Tiffoney and Bannigan and Docherty hitting some form too.

The balancing act for McCall is to decide what we need for the championship. It’s one thing doing it against part time teams, can it be replicated vs. full time clubs ?

6 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I agree with this. I also think we need to cut Penrice some slack. His introduction to the first team was at a time when we had a hopeless manager, a poor squad and a completely negative environment.

On loan at East Fife and Livingston  their fans raved about him as a midfield player. What do we do  we play this young man  at left back and, in the games I saw, leave him generally unsupported and exposed. 

I don't think it's any surprise that his best games for us are when he is in midfield  with support all around him.  I would certainly like to keep him and think he would do well as a midfield player alongside Bannigan, Docherty (and a new signing). Gordon is not a midfield player! 

Agree regards Gordon,  but as I said,I'd be happy to see Penrice go. And apparently he knows Martindale at Livi personally. Martindale loves him. I'd expect him to go there.

Bell should be signed for me 100%. The turning point of our season was when was slotted in beside Brownlie..  

Foster is the exact opposite of what I expected him to be and is another I’d love to see kept for at least a year. Guys just a great professional, I wouldn’t expect these 2 guys to start every game but I can see the value in keeping them around.

No idea if we should keep Cardle or not but if we decide against it, I genuinely hope he gets at least a decent team in league One because he came on and changed a few games for us this season.

Gordon has got to be one of the strangest players I’ve ever seen.. He doesn’t seem to do much, I reckon most of his better work is actually done off the ball.. Making runs and making space for other players but I don’t know if that’s enough to keep him or not.

I hope Penrice stays and McCall gives him a run of games on the right hand side cutting in because that was by far the most effective I’ve seen him play.. It just really suited him and even though Falkirk were utter dug meat, I reckon that could be his best position going forward.