McCall and This Season……

javeajag

Great news about Tiffoney. I am sorry to see Penrice leave but wish him the best of luck at Livingston.  As I said in an earlier post this is a strange transfer transaction (assuming the two moves are connected) - a player not considered good enough for an SPL club moves to a Championship Club and a player not considered good enough for the Championship Club moves to the SPL Club! 

Wonder how often this has happened! 

40 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Great news about Tiffoney. I am sorry to see Penrice leave but wish him the best of luck at Livingston.  As I said in an earlier post this is a strange transfer transaction (assuming the two moves are connected) - a player not considered good enough for an SPL club moves to a Championship Club and a player not considered good enough for the Championship Club moves to the SPL Club! 

Don't think Penrice can automatically be classed as not good enough for Championship. He was offered a promotion and chose to take it. Just as most people would.

Hope it goes well for him - I think he has potential and could still improve significantly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Signings have been good so far, but I think would like to see a couple more proven championship or better players

Graham, Docherty, Bannigan, Foster, Brownlie, Rudden, Holt, O'Ware, even Gordon.  Not sure how many games Turner has played in the Championship but he and TIffoney are likley to be able to handle that league OK.  Tiffoney's pace will be a great asset.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Don't think it's necessarily about Penrice not being 'good' enough.  I think it is that he just won't fit easily into the style McCall wants the team  to play.  Probably not quite good enough at left back but think he could develop into a very good midfield player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

OK see your point. To be honest I completely forgot he could play Midfield.......... can he? 

I think he looks like he could be a very decent midfielder, that’s where he was used when he played away on loan and for our youth teams I’m pretty sure. 

I Genuinely think we have a decent player in the making with him, just where on the park he ends up I don’t know.. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

Graham, Docherty, Bannigan, Foster, Brownlie, Rudden, Holt, O'Ware, even Gordon.  Not sure how many games Turner has played in the Championship but he and TIffoney are likley to be able to handle that league OK.  Tiffoney's pace will be a great asset.

I get that - but most of these guys were in the team that really just got promoted from league 1. Ok for the last few weeks we went on a great run. I just think we need a bit more quality to make an impression on the championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

Don't think it's necessarily about Penrice not being 'good' enough.  I think it is that he just won't fit easily into the style McCall wants the team  to play.  Probably not quite good enough at left back but think he could develop into a very good midfield player.

I actually think what McCall said about him was near spot on, it was a shite time for him to come through at the club.. I think this move will be the making of Penrice .. He came through looking great and I reckon at the time fans thought so much of him that we kind of expected him to be our shining light in bad times.

OK re Penrice hands up and guilty! 

I like Penrice and would have liked him to remain at Firhill. In saying he wasn't good enough for a Championship Club but  good enough for an SPL Club I really meant in the sense of the manager not seeing a role for him in the team. Given  the players McCall has brought in and has still to bring in Penrice was clearly surplus to requirements and was instrumental in Tiffoney signing! 

Personally I think we have just 'touched' his potential and hope we don't regret letting him go! 

So in closing I fully retract the clumsy "not good enough" description! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

OK re Penrice hands up and guilty! 

I like Penrice and would have liked him to remain at Firhill. In saying he wasn't good enough for a Championship Club but  good enough for an SPL Club I really meant in the sense of the manager not seeing a role for him in the team. Given  the players McCall has brought in and has still to bring in Penrice was clearly surplus to requirements and was instrumental in Tiffoney signing! 

Personally I think we have just 'touched' his potential and hope we don't regret letting him go! 

So in closing I fully retract the clumsy "not good enough" description! 

It could take another 2 years to find Penrice a position in the team.. although the most annoying thing about him leaving was watching him in that Falkirk game, Did McCall just find his best position then swap him for a player only proven in league 1?  

I couldn’t be happier with the business we have done so far, and I genuinely think the boy turner could turn out to be a diamond ba boom boom :innocent2:

First time in years I’ve been genuinely excited for a season to start, McCall really looks as if he’s learned a lot over the years and things are looking up.

We (jags) have secured our two 'mark' signings - Turner and Tiffoney. It also looks from,      McCalls 'hints', that Bell (perhaps) could also be on his way to Firhill! Time will tell

Question: as we are apparently looking for 4/5 'new' players does anyone have any idea or suggestions in respect  of who the 2/3 remaining prospective signings might be: for example:

- names in the frame, or

- suggestions (of players we should go after) 

8 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

We (jags) have secured our two 'mark' signings - Turner and Tiffoney. It also looks from,      McCalls 'hints', that Bell (perhaps) could also be on his way to Firhill! Time will tell

Question: as we are apparently looking for 4/5 'new' players does anyone have any idea or suggestions in respect  of who the 2/3 remaining prospective signings might be: for example:

- names in the frame, or

- suggestions (of players we should go after) 

5 A listers please.

4 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

I actually think what McCall said about him was near spot on, it was a shite time for him to come through at the club.. I think this move will be the making of Penrice .. He came through looking great and I reckon at the time fans thought so much of him that we kind of expected him to be our shining light in bad times.

Agreed. I liked McCall's comment about us being "well looked after" if Penrice gets sold by Livi...... which I'm now hoping for!

8 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And they say our youth system doesn’t produce any decent players 

8 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Not for Partick Thistle it doesn't!! 

Watch Penrice develop! 

Says more about our first team coaching regimes over the years than our youth system.

• Like 1