McCall and This Season……

javeajag

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Sneddon has been with Thistle since 2017, to date i have not been as impressed with him as others. I felt the first half of the season he looked a bit shaky/unsure. When he came back in the second half i felt he was more assured and played better, that could have been because the defence in front of him was better. Like @Third Lanark has said if we are looking to be up at the top end of the league we need a better/more consistent keeper as our first choice. The first thing that teams who are looking to do well need to sort out is the defence and the keeper is a very important part of that. Having been at Firhill for 4 years and never really been first choice keeper i don't know how Sneddon would feel facing another season as back up, if that is what his role would be.

I don’t think that it is unusual for goalkeepers to be better if they have a good defence in front of them. But I tend to agree that we do need someone who is confident even when the defence is having an off day. Although, I am not sure who in our recent history qualifies ?

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t think that it is unusual for goalkeepers to be better if they have a good defence in front of them. But I tend to agree that we do need someone who is confident even when the defence is having an off day. Although, I am not sure who in our recent history qualifies ?

To be fair to Sneddon, a defence will play better if they have confidence in the keeper behind them. McCall will access the players in training every day and Kenny Arthur would have some input as well, so i will trust them to make the best decision for Thistle.

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

To be fair to Sneddon, a defence will play better if they have confidence in the keeper behind them. McCall will access the players in training every day and Kenny Arthur would have some input as well, so i will trust them to make the best decision for Thistle.

Completely agree AJ and if they consider Sneddon to be our best option then that’s good enough for me and likewise if they see someone else as

On 6/4/2021 at 4:16 PM, Third Lanark said:

To be fair although he obviously can’t be on the park during games I would be expecting Kenny Arthur to play a large part in his development 

there is also the fact that literally these have been the first league games Lyon has ever played whereas we will be entering Sneddons 5th season with the club

I agree with you. 

I think Sneddon should start the season as our #1. I like him and would like him to be give a chance playing behind a solid defence where the giving support and encouragement is a two way thing. 

It would also be good for him to know there is serious competition for the #1position. 

To be fair to all parties but especially the player if the manager has any doubts about this young man  he should help him by letting him go so that he can find a club at a lower level. 

All this talk of loans is IMO just putting off the inevitable! 

By my reckoning we have 16 players signed (plus the 4 youngaters). I would take that down to 15 as Lyons will be out on loan, we need 2 keepers so that takes us to 17. Midfield looks fairly covered so another centre back and forward would seem to be all that is left to get (unless we hit 3,000 season tickets).

21 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

By my reckoning we have 16 players signed (plus the 4 youngaters). I would take that down to 15 as Lyons will be out on loan, we need 2 keepers so that takes us to 17. Midfield looks fairly covered so another centre back and forward would seem to be all that is left to get (unless we hit 3,000 season tickets).

I think he is looking at another winger as well - he tried to get mccowan but we could not compete with Dundee.   Remember Erskine was McDaids replacement not Tiffoney as he was looking at getting both McDaid and Tiffoney in January.  So I think he will look for someone else in that position, maybe even McDaid himself 

an Ayr fan said wouldn’t be surprised if we tried to get Stephen Kelly but I don’t think he is a winger and more of a central midfielder where we already have Bannigan, Docherty and Turner, plus Senna who can play there and Lyon.

Also I’m hoping we get Bell back for defence 

19 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

The "Independent " commented on the Scott Tiffony  signing Twitter video, suggesting  a"fan"  said "We signed Scott Tiffoney - ya beauty."  

Ian Mc Call - eat your heart out!

Screenshot_20210605-212218_Chrome.jpg

To be fair in many ways he is a fan even when managing at other clubs - he has ensured his son became a Partick Thistle supporter.  
mccall also used to go and watch games as well when he wasn’t manager 

Going by the first of the manager's updates the players will be back on Thursday for pre-season testing, training on Friday, weekend off then back on Monday the 14th. By my calculations Saturday will be 4 weeks until the first game in the League Cup so good to see we have a core of players signed up already and hopefully the rest will arrive fairly soon.

Big season for Jamie coming up. 

When he played for the youth team I was always impressed by his smart distribution and his avoidance of the long punt up the field. Also impressive at passing the ball. That's largely been missing from his game in the first team. I'd like to see that aspect of his game return. Playing with both Banzo and Docherty plus two experienced fullbacks there's little excuse for not playing out from the back.

19 hours ago, falklandal1 said:

Jamie Sneddon?

I see he has signed up again by extending his contract. Happy to see this. That's a goalkeeper just need one more. 

19 hours ago, javeajag said:

6173053E-400D-4F98-8743-CDD612DFA493.jpeg

I thought the long line was Sneddon heading for his half time cuppa. Suppose the geography/angles are all wrong for this so yes spot on  he is joining the goal celebrstions! 

1 hour ago, jags on tour said:

Mulgrew linked with Dundee Utd on the BBC Sport website, never thought there was any chance of him joining us.

Agree it was always unlikely we would get Mulgrew. Always thought his wage demand would be beyond us.

However I would have liked to have Steve Bell signed up. Anyone know why that hasn't happened yet?

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Agree it was always unlikely we would get Mulgrew. Always thought his wage demand would be beyond us.

However I would have liked to have Steve Bell signed up. Anyone know why that hasn't happened yet?

Bell's had an offer from EK. He's evidently weighing up their offer and ours. Guessing it may not be a straight financial decision.