McCall and This Season……

javeajag

McCall mentioned that Bell would be in (for training?) a couple of times a week. So it's a part-time contract? Do we have any other part-timers in the squad?

In the 70's we had some right good squads that were made up of both full- and part-time players, and I think used that model even not so long ago.

12 hours ago, CrimeWriterJag said:

Agree with this. Also, if Sneddon was our No1 keeper, why was he only offered a 1 year deal? I like Sneddon, but it looks like McCall is giving him a year to develop further/prove himself. 

How do you know what he was offered ? We know what he signed, but that might not be the same thing.

In an ideal world, I think we're 5 short: replacements/competition for Sneddon and Bell, another right-back, attacking midfielder/winger and striker. If McCall is adamant we're only signing 4 then we could maybe do without another striker. It looks a decent enough starting eleven just now - just needs a bit more quality in the squad.

Sneddon

Foster - Brownlie - Bell - Holt

Docherty - Turner - Bannigan

Rudden ---------- Tiffoney

Graham

McCready, McKenna, O'Ware, Niang, Gordon, Murray, MacIver.

54 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

In an ideal world, I think we're 5 short: replacements/competition for Sneddon and Bell, another right-back, attacking midfielder/winger and striker. If McCall is adamant we're only signing 4 then we could maybe do without another striker. It looks a decent enough starting eleven just now - just needs a bit more quality in the squad.

Sneddon

Foster - Brownlie - Bell - Holt

Docherty - Turner - Bannigan

Rudden ---------- Tiffoney

Graham

McCready, McKenna, O'Ware, Niang, Gordon, Murray, MacIver.

Agree about needing competition and more quality in the squad.  Looking at the above Mc Kenna and a fit O'Ware could arguably provide cover for the back 4. Niang, Gordon and Murray cover Midfield and McIver the 'spare' Striker! 

However the bench does look 'thin' on quality and perhaps has too many question marks against individuals. For example, Gordon, neither a midfielder or a striker IMO! So what's his best position? O'Ware fitness? 

McKenna, Murray & McIver largely unproven! 

So agree - squad requires bit more depth and quality but do we have the resources to make this happen? 

Were we ever really in the frame for Mulgrew? I imagine he must have been on a very good contract at Blackburn

I take it as a positive if we were a serious contender to sign him  as it means we must have more financial clout than I previously thought we had! 

Does anyone have any 'in the know' info about imminent signings, players we are after etc? 

Its all gone quiet and the clock is ticking! 

54 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Were we ever really in the frame for Mulgrew? I imagine he must have been on a very good contract at Blackburn

I take it as a positive if we were a serious contender to sign him  as it means we must have more financial clout than I previously thought we had! 

Does anyone have any 'in the know' info about imminent signings, players we are after etc? 

Its all gone quiet and the clock is ticking! 

I am guessing but I would presume offers have been made to individual players and also to clubs for loans.  Therefore it’s really for the players to decide and the  clubs to decide on whether to give us loans.  But these players may have a multitude of offers and are taking their time to make a decision 

I don’t think there’s much McCall or Partick Thistle can do meantime really 

14 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I am guessing but I would presume offers have been made to individual players and also to clubs for loans.  Therefore it’s really for the players to decide and the  clubs to decide on whether to give us loans.  But these players may have a multitude of offers and are taking their time to make a decision 

I don’t think there’s much McCall or Partick Thistle can do meantime really 

. Thanks for this. I think you are right. 

I will try to tone down my excitement for the new season and developments related to new signings and be patient. 

• Like 1

If he'd been Glasgow based I may have convinced myself re the "one good season left" opinion. Thinking along the lines there wasn't much financial outlay. Perhaps a pay as you play deal or the likes. The fact he's not based anywhere near local suggests Dobbie wouldn't be traveling to Firhill unless the wage was worth it. We've often benefitted from signings of players returning to Glasgow/West of Scotland for a drop in wage (Graham & Foster ,perhaps?). Signing Dobbie would've certainly mot been one of those types of deals.

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If he'd been Glasgow based I may have convinced myself re the "one good season left" opinion. Thinking along the lines there wasn't much financial outlay. Perhaps a pay as you play deal or the likes. The fact he's not based anywhere near local suggests Dobbie wouldn't be traveling to Firhill unless the wage was worth it. We've often benefitted from signings of players returning to Glasgow/West of Scotland for a drop in wage (Graham & Foster ,perhaps?). Signing Dobbie would've certainly mot been one of those types of deals.

Certainly good fora year. Still got a  good motor. Need to mind suspensions though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CotterJag said:

How do we expect to sell more season tickets when the link takes you to an old Hibs game?

Some of the other links don't work.

Can someone get a grip please.

Does seem strange.

This link works if you are wanting to buy or renew over the weekend:

https://ptfc.co.uk/season-tickets/

Only 3 weeks until the first competitive game!