McCall and This Season……

javeajag

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

He may well get us promotion. Most likely through the play offs. But Lambie actually done it by winning both leagues, so if McCall doesn't win the league, he won't have emulated Lambie. And McCall is a shadow of a manager to John Lambie.

He will emulate Lambie if we do win back to back titles. I wasn't comparing their respective entire careers. Aside from that I think the vast majority of thistle fans are hoping that may happen. Try and be objective rather than be constantly subjective. Therein lies the road to inner peace. 

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

He may well get us promotion. Most likely through the play offs. But Lambie actually done it by winning both leagues, so if McCall doesn't win the league, he won't have emulated Lambie. And McCall is a shadow of a manager to John Lambie.

Give us a break from your negative dross 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19318356.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Good article, suggests that penrice may stay on as may McIver

I get the impression McCall wanted Cardle to stay but felt it fairer in terms of playing time that Joe got to move on ....will miss the wee Man’s commitment and effort .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anniesland Jag said:

I get the impression McCall wanted Cardle to stay but felt it fairer in terms of playing time that Joe got to move on ....will miss the wee Man’s commitment and effort .

If we end up signing Tiff and one or two others of the same standard or even better then the decision to release Cardle will probably prove to be the correct one.

It's easy to criticise decisions when you can't see the whole picture. I'd have kept him, but if McCall thinks the players he is aiming to sign will drop him further down the pecking order then it's probably the right decision.

14 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Jesus! Bell at 36, Mulgrew at 36, Dobbie at 38, Graham in his 30's, Foster about 35, Bannigan in his 30's. A fine young exciting side McCall is building. Loving these A listers. Lol

I can't recall the 'saying'  applicable to  young players making their first team debut but it goes something like "if you are good enough then you are old enough"! 

Perhaps it also works in the other direction "if your good enough then your young enough"! 

With the impact and  increasing knowledge of sports science, fitness and nutrition if players look after themselves there is no reason to retire them at 33!

Just look at the impact Graham, Bannigan, Cardle and particularly Bell and Foster had in the second half of a season that had a congested fixture list! Would anyone doubt their fitness? 

I think McCall is trying to achieve a balance of youth and experience which is the way to go. However I would also like to see a regular stream  of young players progressing from the Academy to the bench into the first team! We haven't quite got there yet but perhaps it's still a bit too soon given our Academy is relative young! 

14 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

If we end up signing Tiff and one or two others of the same standard or even better then the decision to release Cardle will probably prove to be the correct one.

It's easy to criticise decisions when you can't see the whole picture. I'd have kept him, but if McCall thinks the players he is aiming to sign will drop him further down the pecking order then it's probably the right decision.

Pragmatism over sentimentality seems to be the new playbook at Firhill these day which I am 100% in support of if we really want to shake off the “Cuddly but ultimately also rans” tag once and for all .

2 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Agree. He lit up a few dark days and not just with his play. With his fake tan and pearly whites he fairly stood out. Good luck in the future Joe, unless you are playing against Thistle.:D

• Like 1

Ian McCall has just been named SPFL League 1 manager of the season. Well done to Ian.

Shame there isn't a club director of the year award. For me, that would go to Gary Deans of Falkirk.  When the lower leagues got shut down in January,  instead of just moaning about it, he did something.  He got the clubs  to collectively say they would  test, and wanted to play.  This is what came about. My director of the year   :D

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I can't recall the 'saying'  applicable to  young players making their first team debut but it goes something like "if you are good enough then you are old enough"! 

Perhaps it also works in the other direction "if your good enough then your young enough"! 

With the impact and  increasing knowledge of sports science, fitness and nutrition if players look after themselves there is no reason to retire them at 33!

Just look at the impact Graham, Bannigan, Cardle and particularly Bell and Foster had in the second half of a season that had a congested fixture list! Would anyone doubt their fitness? 

I think McCall is trying to achieve a balance of youth and experience which is the way to go. However I would also like to see a regular stream  of young players progressing from the Academy to the bench into the first team! We haven't quite got there yet but perhaps it's still a bit too soon given our Academy is relative young! 

Only 3 young Jags in the Scotland squad

55 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. He lit up a few dark days and not just with his play. With his fake tan and pearly whites he fairly stood out. Good luck in the future Joe, unless you are playing against Thistle.:D

...aye, all that and those haircuts !... I can see why Dunfermline fans still wax lyrical about him ....good luck indeed to you Joe .

32 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Ian McCall has just been named SPFL League 1 manager of the season. Well done to Ian.

Ian McCall, Partick Thistle Manager said:

“It is always a big honour to receive awards like this when it is judged over the entire length of a season. This award might have my name on it but it is entirely down to the hard work of all my backroom team and the players we have at Firhill. 

All very magnanimous, I'm sure, but not one single mention of Big Wull. Shocking!!!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Jesus! Bell at 36, Mulgrew at 36, Dobbie at 38, Graham in his 30's, Foster about 35, Bannigan in his 30's. A fine young exciting side McCall is building. Loving these A listers. Lol

Would have kept Joe Cardle ahead of Stephen Dobbie 

Think age has caught up with Dobbie as his goal tally of 4 goals for last season suggests .

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Glad it wasn't just me who was reminded of Derek Whyte! 

Glad too that Joe won't be taking over as our manager!

Good luck to him. A good servant for Thistle in his time here.

Edited by Jaggernaut

18 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Would have kept Joe Cardle ahead of Stephen Dobbie 

Think age has caught up with Dobbie as his goal tally of 4 goals for last season suggests .

Must admit I don't have much of a positive feeling about Dobbie signing for us either, though I'd have loved it a few years ago.

If it was down to a straight choice now, I'd keep Cardle.

6 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Shame there isn't a club director of the year award. For me, that would go to Gary Deans of Falkirk.  When the lower leagues got shut down in January,  instead of just moaning about it, he did something.  He got the clubs  to collectively say they would  test, and wanted to play.  This is what came about. My director of the year   :D

If you read the Falkirk forum on p&b not many would agree with you. Not surprising after the 3 seasons they have had.