McCall and This Season……

javeajag

Joe has been great this season and his stats back that up, despite the number of crosses that failed to get past the first defender! What I liked most about him was his commitment and desire to do things in games, even if they didn’t always come off. On top of that, a true pro. I thought he would get another year, but more as an impact sub and perhaps letting him go to a team that will start him more than we may have, is best for him.

Good luck Joe. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

4 youngsters signed up which should please those concerned about too many older players:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/four-thistle-weir-academy-graduates-sign-up-as-jags/

Nope.....

still worried !!

10 hours ago, jaggymct said:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19318356.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Good article, suggests that penrice may stay on as may McIver

Feck....more and more like ‘ Dads Army ‘ if Dobbie arrives.

Once again lack of pace is worrying.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Good interview with Foster talking about the season just finished, shown half time of the Morton/Airdrie game.

Aye excellent interview, Brian Graham seemed to be the middle man for him coming to Thistle, he turned down another club to come to here after meeting McCall and being impressed with the plans to win the league. Hopefully IM can be as persuasive in getting Tiff back!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Good interview with Foster talking about the season just finished, shown half time of the Morton/Airdrie game.

Really impressed with this guy. His attitude & workrate are first class and he seems to love it at Firhill. And he calls us Thistle :D Also his gesture to the youngsters by giving his bonus deserves a lot of credit

I know that we have some older players like Foster, Graham and possibly going for Bell and maybe others mentioned, but nowadays these guys are extremely fit and can easily play until late 30's. That said, I'm really not convinced by Dobbie, probably a couple of years too late and I don't fancy the idea of him living in England and maybe only training a few days a week like he did at QOS

22 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Only 3 young Jags in the Scotland squad

Thanks for making my point re regular stream of Academy youngsters progressing to the first team! 

If you are referring to the Scotland Squad for the European Championship then you are highlighting O'Donnell, Henry & Nisbet! 

Firstly, SOD wasn't a product of our Academy. He was signed from Annan Athletic. 

Secondly, Henry I suppose could be described as a product of the Academy though I am uncertain how long the Academy had been running and at which point he actually joined the Academy. It makes no difference because as far as I recall he never played for the first team or if he did it must only have been a rare appearance. 

Finally, I will give you Nisbet! He did come through the Academy but was never convincing as a first team player. The question with this player given what was going on inside his head at the time is " did he fail us or did we fail him" as he certainly had the potential to be a first team regular. 

Surprised you haven't mentioned Liam Lindsay notwithstanding he is not in the Scotland Squad. Similar to Henry I am not sure of his Academy pedigree but as a young player coming through to being a first team player he was IMO a success! 

However the above examples could hardly be described as a "stream of young players progressing to the first team" so far! As I said perhaps just a matter of time! 

12 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Firstly, SOD wasn't a product of our Academy. He was signed from Annan Athletic. 

Secondly, Henry I suppose could be described as a product of the Academy though I am uncertain how long the Academy had been running and at which point he actually joined the Academy. It makes no difference because as far as I recall he never played for the first team or if he did it must only have been a rare appearance. 

Finally, I will give you Nisbet! He did come through the Academy but was never convincing as a first team player. The question with this player given what was going on inside his head at the time is " did he fail us or did we fail him" as he certainly had the potential to be a first team regular. 

O'Donnell didn't come from Annan (I think you're confusing him with Aaron Muirhead - who convinced me in that 2012/13 season that he'd eventually get Scotland caps!). He came through Aberdeen & Celtic's youth systems before signing his first professional contract with us.

Hendry did make first team appearances for us. 5, including Premiership starts v Celtic and Motherwell. 

16 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Thanks for making my point re regular stream of Academy youngsters progressing to the first team! 

If you are referring to the Scotland Squad for the European Championship then you are highlighting O'Donnell, Henry & Nisbet! 

Surprised you haven't mentioned Liam Lindsay notwithstanding he is not in the Scotland Squad. Similar to Henry I am not sure of his Academy pedigree but as a young player coming through to being a first team player he was IMO a success! 

However the above examples could hardly be described as a "stream of young players progressing to the first team" so far! As I said perhaps just a matter of time! 

One of the most common criticism's of Archie's management was being over loyal to players. I think there was some merit in that criticism. So in my mind Nisbet was given all the opportunity to progress, I must have seen him play for the U20s at least thirty times. You could clearly see the potential there and because he was physically mature for his age he should have benefitted going out on loan. We sent him out on loan three times. He made an impact in the League Two but failed to impress in his two spells in the Championship. He played something like over thirty times in that division and scored a mere two goals. 

I realise things can be viewed differently in hindsight but I'm more than just fairly convinced that releasing Nisbet was the correct decision. Without that kick up the backside I doubt he would've developed into the player he is today. More to the point the player himself is the first to agree wit that. 

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

However the above examples could hardly be d escribed as a "stream of young players progressing to the first team" so far! As I said perhaps just a matter of time! 

I guess there needs to be some definition of success, though. Is it playing a certain no of times for us or is it generating a transfer fee or is it making international appearances. Also, I suppose you also need to define what constitutes a product of the academy/youth system.

Edited by Lenziejag

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Would penrice be considered. From our youth academy or Fitzpatrick

Yes most definitely. You are correct and thank you for pointing these players out to me.

Can't believe I missed them, especially Penrice who until recently was a first team regular. 

So we have Lindsay, Fitzpatrick, Nesbit & Penrice! These 4 I suggest are the 'trickle that hopefully we will be able  to develop into a stream! 

So back to my point about "a regular stream of players progressing to the first team" 

In pointing this out I am not being negative about our Academy but I suggest it has not yet been developed or running long enough to have the same reputation of those at, for example, Motherwell, Dundee Utd or Hamilton! 

This is why I keep saying it's perhaps a matter of time! 

13 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Aye excellent interview, Brian Graham seemed to be the middle man for him coming to Thistle, he turned down another club to come to here after meeting McCall and being impressed with the plans to win the league. Hopefully IM can be as persuasive in getting Tiff back!

He also spoke about his wife saying it would be another challenge playing in the lower leagues and hopefully winning it. Also the nerves he felt before the Falkirk game but when he mentioned it to Zak he didn't have nerves. Also about the lack of fans at games and that made a lot of them feel like training sessions. As others have said he comes over very well.

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Yes most definitely. You are correct and thank you for pointing these players out to me.

Can't believe I missed them, especially Penrice who until recently was a first team regular. 

So we have Lindsay, Fitzpatrick, Nesbit & Penrice! These 4 I suggest are the 'trickle that hopefully we will be able  to develop into a stream! 

So back to my point about "a regular stream of players progressing to the first team" 

In pointing this out I am not being negative about our Academy but I suggest it has not yet been developed or running long enough to have the same reputation of those at, for example, Motherwell, Dundee Utd or Hamilton! 

This is why I keep saying it's perhaps a matter of time! 

Slightly off on a tangent. There's other players we've had as teenagers that we can claim to have at stake in their development. For instance Brownlie and Hendry.  Other lads like McCarthy, Lamont, Meehan and no doubt a few others are playing in Scottish football just now.

For the Academy to be successful will partly depend on it gaining and maintaining a positive image. Thus in turn persuading parents that Firhill's the place for their sons. Nisbet's inclusion in the Scotland squad will make that task that wee bit easier.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:26 AM, fenski said:

I'm assuming the Mulgrew thing is based on McCall's joke.

He plays Left Mid

And he plays left back

At centre half 

He`s never slack

In Maryhill

He`s made his home 

Charlie Mulgrew................ Charlie Mulgrew

On 5/21/2021 at 7:06 PM, Fawlty Towers said:

4 youngsters signed up which should please those concerned about too many older players:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/four-thistle-weir-academy-graduates-sign-up-as-jags/

To properly bring youth players into first team you need a few very experienced players to nurture them as they break through, we have that. Also some younger players who recently have already went that route (Sena and Penrice) .

Age and experience wise team is looking quite balanced, proof of the pudding will be how they perform with quite a big step up from League 1 to Championship 

On 5/22/2021 at 6:17 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Slightly off on a tangent. There's other players we've had as teenagers that we can claim to have at stake in their development. For instance Brownlie and Hendry.  Other lads like McCarthy, Lamont, Meehan and no doubt a few others are playing in Scottish football just now.

For the Academy to be successful will partly depend on it gaining and maintaining a positive image. Thus in turn persuading parents that Firhill's the place for their sons. Nisbet's inclusion in the Scotland squad will make that task that wee bit easier.

I agree with your comments and you might add McDaid to the list. Perhaps the initial scope of my point was too narrow.

However my main point was about players graduating through our Academy to become first team players at Partick Thistle.

The fact that players who fall short of this standard can still be considered good enough to play for other teams is good both for the developing reputation of our Academy and for individual players. 

I was very pleased to read on the OS about steps being taken to make stronger links between the Academy and the first team in terms of training and mixing with senior players. Also  being assisted and encouraged by senior players. I think this is excellent, a win-win for all concerned. 

The above suggests we are going in the right direction and hopefully, in time, we will see 1/2 Academy  players fighting for a first team place every year or so! 

• Like 2