McCall and This Season……

javeajag

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

How did raith rovers manage to make the transition to challenge? Certainly wasn't massive investment. To be honest its impossible to second guess how we may do, but I'm not so sure the gap is that great. Nb I suspect airdrie were just goosed. 

I believe John McGlynn has said that he became a far better coach when he worked with Brendan Rodgers at Celtic and that he improved his players abilities. 

3 hours ago, jaggymct said:

I noticed this on the OS this morning and although I haven't seen this young man I was slightly surprised that he was released. I recall reading a post  during/after the Montrose game that "he (Reilly) looked a player"!  To merit this comment he must have made a good impression! 

3 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I noticed this on the OS this morning and although I haven't seen this young man I was slightly surprised that he was released. I recall reading a post  during/after the Montrose game that "he (Reilly) looked a player"!  To merit this comment he must have made a good impression! 

It may have been the players choice.

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

While Airdrie were indeed dispatched with some ease, Montrose were not- that was a close tie that took a late Morton winner after losing the first leg.

From what I saw of the two legs between Airdrie & Morton it looked like Morton were getting on top the more the games progressed. That perhaps supports what dl1971 was saying. On the same subject maybe Killie's 40 game season against Dundee's 31 games played a part re the relative ease Dundee won thru?  

If there's any merit in this the gap between 2nd and 3rd tiers is perhaps not too much and the gap between 1st and 2nd tiers a bit bigger than it appears.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

30 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It may have been the players choice.

I think it must have been because McCall had said he was offering him a contract but maybe the player felt he was going to get enough game time.  
hopefully it’s a sign of maybe Kyle Turner or someone incoming 

8 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If you look at how easily Morton put away Airdrie, there is a big jump in standard between League One and the Championship. Anything 8th or above would be a great success. Without a massive investment, or a lot of luck, back to back promotion is pie in the sky.

Is it possible that Airdrie just ran out of steam having played at least 2 games a week for about 2 months ?

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Is it possible that Airdrie just ran out of steam having played at least 2 games a week for about 2 months ?

Reading the Airdrie forum on pie and bovril they had a number of injuries leading up to the Morton games. I expected Airdrie to run Morton close maybe even beat them and Morton to beat Montrose easily, not the other way about. Just shows how unpredictable that football and sport can be. Although i expect a certain Mr Nadal will win his 14th French open title in about 3 weeks time.

4 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I now realise that raith of course got 500k versus our 150k from the Scots govt. So probably the reason they can out bid us. That said st johnstone just won 2 cups with their budget so its not impossible to compete. We shall see. 

Every team in the Championship can outbid us! 

Championship teams got £500000 and didn't Kilmarnock and Hamilton get £2 millions (or was it more). After our demotion this was the second stab in the back  from McLennan and Doncaster! 

Looking for 5 players then ..A Central Defender .. A striker .. 3 Attacking midfielders. 

Since it’s that time of the season and it’s slow .. who would your 5 signings be realistically?

CB: Bell/Mulgrew (both free)

STR: Dobbie(qots)

AttMid: Tiffoney(livi)Mcgowne(ayr United)Turner(Airdrie)Mcdaid(Dundee)

Guessing from rumours obviously but just wondering if anyone has any other frees that we would go for. I’d be interested in the boy Polworth from Motherwell always thought he was a decent player.

The other thing that’s not been mentioned much is a goalkeeper I have a feeling we will get the boy from rangers back on loan again.. but will that do us? Any thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Looking for 5 players then ..A Central Defender .. A striker .. 3 Attacking midfielders. 

Since it’s that time of the season and it’s slow .. who would your 5 signings be realistically?

CB: Bell/Mulgrew (both free)

STR: Dobbie(qots)

AttMid: Tiffoney(livi)Mcgowne(ayr United)Turner(Airdrie)Mcdaid(Dundee)

Guessing from rumours obviously but just wondering if anyone has any other frees that we would go for. I’d be interested in the boy Polworth from Motherwell always thought he was a decent player.

The other thing that’s not been mentioned much is a goalkeeper I have a feeling we will get the boy from rangers back on loan again.. but will that do us? Any thoughts?

Just a guess but if Spittal was released he may also be on our radar 

21 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Just a guess but if Spittal was released he may also be on our radar 

Spittal is very like Penrice he’s a good footballer but has always struggled to find a permanent position in a team. But like you say definitely someone we could/should be looking at.

33 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

When I watched the video and he mentioned a left sided central defender that can cover at left back I instantly thought of the mulgrew rumours. What I found strange was he never mentioned that Penrice could be used as cover at left back.

Rumours that Penrice will be off to Livi.

• Like 1

Re the goalkeeper situation. I'd rather we brought in an older more experienced keeper for back up. Younger keepers often have confidence issues and it's not that unlikely that two young keepers go thru the jitters at or around the same time. Given they often play competently into their late 30s,  I wouldn't think finding such a keeper too difficult. I know he's supposedly retired but I believe Cerny would be a good shout. Just to make clear I'd only see him as the No2 keeper. 

17 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Re the goalkeeper situation. I'd rather we brought in an older more experienced keeper for back up. Younger keepers often have confidence issues and it's not that unlikely that two young keepers go thru the jitters at or around the same time. Given they often play competently into their late 30s,  I wouldn't think finding such a keeper too difficult. I know he's supposedly retired but I believe Cerny would be a good shout. Just to make clear I'd only see him as the No2 keeper. 

And how many experienced keepers would be willing to join on these terms ? I would expect that any players joining thistle, for any position,  would either be young and inexperienced, or looking for regular first team action. I believe that appearance money is a sizable portion of any players salary at our level. 

Edited by Dick Dastardly