McCall and This Season……

javeajag

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Ayr apparently signing McGinty.

McGinty at Somerset Park brings back a distant nightmare. First league game of the season after our relegation from the Premiership. McGinty selt the jerseys early on giving away a daft penalty from which we never recovered. Hope he's as good for them as he was for us.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And how many experienced keepers would be willing to join on these terms ? I would expect that any players joining thistle, for any position,  would either be young and inexperienced, or looking for regular first team action. I believe that appearance money is a sizable portion of any players salary at our level. 

Any other position, yes. Goalkeepers are different in so much many know when they join a club they'll be second choice. They know that they'll get limited game time if the No 1 keeper stays fit and keeps form. 

15 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

When I watched the video and he mentioned a left sided central defender that can cover at left back I instantly thought of the mulgrew rumours. What I found strange was he never mentioned that Penrice could be used as cover at left back.

I think he has said that Penrice wouldn’t be left back - so either he isn’t staying or he maybe one of the left footed players on the right ?

I really hope the striker isn’t Dobbie 

50 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think he has said that Penrice wouldn’t be left back - so either he isn’t staying or he maybe one of the left footed players on the right ?

I really hope the striker isn’t Dobbie 

Yeah I’m assuming he’s off tbh. Even if we were playing him in another position I’d still consider Penrice as cover for Left back.

And I don’t really want Dobbie either but  I guess we could do a lot worse.

No to Spittal, Dobbie and McDaid but would be sorry to see Penrice leave! 

However if the rumour of Penrice heading to Livingston is true then perhaps Tiffoney coming to Firhill could be on as well! This would be interesting - a League 1/Championship player not good enough  for a Team at that level but good enough for a Team at SPL level! 

29 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

However if the rumour of Penrice heading to Livingston is true then perhaps Tiffoney coming to Firhill could be on as well! This would be interesting - a League 1/Championship player not good enough  for a Team at that level but good enough for a Team at SPL level! 

Just out of curiosity why would you not want Spittal? He was our player of the year when he last played in the championship- more than capable of getting us goals in this league 

34 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I agree entirely with your first sentence.

Re your final sentence: I agree again, and think that it raises questions about what was being expected of him at Firhill, and/or some kind of issue perhaps not even directly related to the player's performances on the pitch. I'm a fan of Penrice, and hope he stays.... as I pointed out, he was involved in all five goals against Falkirk at Firhill, and can be exciting to watch when he's running towards the penalty box and taking on defenders. 

28 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Just out of curiosity why would you not want Spittal? He was our player of the year when he last played in the championship- more than capable of getting us goals in this league 

For me his technical skills and ability to pop up with a few goals are outweighted by his lack of a cover for the full backs if he is played as a winger or his lack of pace as a forward.

His confidence is paper thin after being at United and Thistle during some bad times, so probably County or another team with a small support is best for him, less pressure from the stands. 

46 minutes ago, Juanito said:

For me his technical skills and ability to pop up with a few goals are outweighted by his lack of a cover for the full backs if he is played as a winger or his lack of pace as a forward.

His confidence is paper thin after being at United and Thistle during some bad times, so probably County or another team with a small support is best for him, less pressure from the stands. 

The fact is he still got player of the year so he was clearly better than the rest of our squad were and in a better team now could excel 

• Like 1

Nothing against signing Spittal. That tho' wouldn't redress any lack of pace issues we could end up with. I'd see Spittal as a kinda Ross Forbes signing. Ross's lack of pace was never a problem in what was otherwise a very pacey team. Perhaps similar to Spittal in so much as it only became a problem when we reached the top tier.

21 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I do like Spital, bit I don't think he would add much more to the team.

I suppose hopefully more goals, set pieces etc I’m thinking.  He scored a fair few even in the premier league so more than confident he would do the same in the championship.

no idea to be fair though if he is even linked

48 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I would think that he is on McCall's radar.

I hope not. Spittal would be the wrong type of player to go for. No pace, only occassionally contributes and tend to hide when the going gets tough.

His best season for us was in a poor Caldwell team. That didn't make him good it just made him better than poor.