McCall and This Season……

javeajag

5 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

If we get Tiffoney we won't need him.

Both McDaid and Tiffoney were signed in the January window before the season was suspended then Dundee decided to recall him.  

erskine was signed then as McDaids replacement.  It’s not impossible that he will be here certainly.  We have also lost cardle.  So I do think McCall will be looking at other attackers/wingers 

Edited by Third Lanark

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Both McDaid and Tiffoney were signed in the January window before the season was suspended then Dundee decided to recall him

erskine was signed then as McDaids replacement.  It’s not impossible that he will be here certainly 

Personally I wouldn't take him, but this is McCall we are talking about.

2 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Personally I wouldn't take him, but this is McCall we are talking about.

I think he would be a decent option but I’m sure McCall will be looking at various options 

would be delighted if we got Kyle Turner but if hearts are genuinely linked then can’t see it

My problem with McDaid is his lack of goalscoring. He's often played left and you'd expect a goal or two from him cutting in. Also I think his decision making can be a bit wonky. Maybe with more intense coaching he could improve. No doubt if we sign him he'd be a decent enough squad player but you really want a bit more from your wide players. An impact sub at least.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I can't think why we would want to sign McDaid. He wasn't a success in his earlier spell with us and he doesn't appear to have improved significantly since leaving  Firhill. 

On the wider front and with tonight's result next season's Championship participants  are now decided!  Not in any order:

Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Raith, Dunfermline, Inverness CT, Queen of the South, Morton, Ayr, Arbroath, Partick. 

It looks very competitive

Can we win this league or at least finish in the top 4?

The SPL also looks very competitive below the expected top 2.  Assuming Ross County strengthen their squad there is no obvious candidate for relegation! 

I would assume we are not going to get much more news on the signing front until 31st May. I think thats when most player contracts expire. I would have thought someone like Steven Bell is a done deal but unable to sign until his contract with East Kilbride expires?

Also do we have to wait for the summer transfer window to open on June 9th to sign players like Tiffoney who would command a development fee?

I think the transfer market this summer is going to be really strange.  There are so many managerial vacancies in the championship and lower end of the premier league that players must be wondering if its better to go with an early offer or hold off for bigger money.

Not really a big fan of McDaid. Assuming we sign Tiffoney we need a winger capable of crossing the ball to Graham to contrast against Tiffoney's direct running and cutbacks.

Whilst McDaid may be able to last 90 minutes better than Cardle, Cardle's delivery looked better than McDaids. I struggle to see how McDaid would be a huge upgrade on Cardle. However if McDaid does sign I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

8 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Can we win this league or at least finish in the top 4?

If you look at how easily Morton put away Airdrie, there is a big jump in standard between League One and the Championship. Anything 8th or above would be a great success. Without a massive investment, or a lot of luck, back to back promotion is pie in the sky.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:43 AM, exiledjag said:

Thanks for making my point re regular stream of Academy youngsters progressing to the first team! 

If you are referring to the Scotland Squad for the European Championship then you are highlighting O'Donnell, Henry & Nisbet! 

Firstly, SOD wasn't a product of our Academy. He was signed from Annan Athletic. 

Secondly, Henry I suppose could be described as a product of the Academy though I am uncertain how long the Academy had been running and at which point he actually joined the Academy. It makes no difference because as far as I recall he never played for the first team or if he did it must only have been a rare appearance. 

Finally, I will give you Nisbet! He did come through the Academy but was never convincing as a first team player. The question with this player given what was going on inside his head at the time is " did he fail us or did we fail him" as he certainly had the potential to be a first team regular. 

Surprised you haven't mentioned Liam Lindsay notwithstanding he is not in the Scotland Squad. Similar to Henry I am not sure of his Academy pedigree but as a young player coming through to being a first team player he was IMO a success! 

However the above examples could hardly be described as a "stream of young players progressing to the first team" so far! As I said perhaps just a matter of time! 

My point in mentioning O'Donnell, Nesbit and Hendry is that Thistle had a major part to play in all their early careers. Whether that was called the Thistle Weir Academy, or went under some previous name is irrelevant, their development was through the Thistle ranks. The fact that they some didn't play much for the first team before going onto bigger and better things, is not the fault of the youth structure, who are clearly developing the players. I see it more of a comment on a succession of managers that for whatever reason are not able to exploit that resource, and a board who are desperate to cash in on any young talent that they can.

The second point is probably the more important. Any young player that comes through the academy and into the 1st team is immediately going to become a target for the bigger fish, Lindsey, Hendry and Fitzpatrick being prime examples. Don't get me wrong, I fully support the Academy and I'm very proud that there are 3 former Jags in the Scotland squad, but I don't expect it to be generating many players for our own 1st team

Edited by Dick Dastardly

3 hours ago, elevenone said:

McCall looking for 2000 season ticket holders for new season.  Link to article.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19324154.partick-thistle-manager-ian-mccall-targets-2000-season-tickets/

The comment someone has made on that article :lol: the I don’t have a girlfriend one made me laugh

A3E9ACB7-500A-4B5D-8352-5487536C06FE.jpeg

Edited by Thistle88
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Please don’t base that on what I said mate- I said I hope we would but have no actual information that we were

would be a great signing if we could get him

I have been told we have been looking at him from a reliable source but i am sure he has a few other suitors too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If you look at how easily Morton put away Airdrie, there is a big jump in standard between League One and the Championship. Anything 8th or above would be a great success. Without a massive investment, or a lot of luck, back to back promotion is pie in the sky.

How did raith rovers manage to make the transition to challenge? Certainly wasn't massive investment. To be honest its impossible to second guess how we may do, but I'm not so sure the gap is that great. Nb I suspect airdrie were just goosed. 

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

While Airdrie were indeed dispatched with some ease, Montrose were not- that was a close tie that took a late Morton winner after losing the first leg.

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My point in mentioning O'Donnell, Nesbit and Hendry is that Thistle had a major part to play in all their early careers. Whether that was called the Thistle Weir Academy, or went under some previous name is irrelevant, their development was through the Thistle ranks. The fact that they some didn't play much for the first team before going onto bigger and better things, is not the fault of the youth structure, who are clearly developing the players. I see it more of a comment on a succession of managers that for whatever reason are not able to exploit that resource, and a board who are desperate to cash in on any young talent that they can.

The second point is probably the more important. Any young player that comes through the academy and into the 1st team is immediately going to become a target for the bigger fish, Lindsey, Hendry and Fitzpatrick being prime examples. Don't get me wrong, I fully support the Academy and I'm very proud that there are 3 former Jags in the Scotland squad, but I don't expect it to be generating many players for our own 1st team

A good coherent appraisal and I am in agreement with nearly all of the points you make. 

I question your  final point about the academy not generating players for the first team squad! 

I would have thought that was the principal reason for having an Academy in the first place. 

I do though recognise that the transfer market is changing in so much that at the top end of the game the elite clubs in England and Europe regularly  buy young players from other clubs' Academy's! As this is a developing market perhaps this becomes another main reason for having an Academy and as such reinforces your final point. 

Personally I would like to think that the Jags can improve to the point where we can hold onto our good Academy players for at least a couple of seasons after graduating to the First Team.