Brechin / SFA

javeajag

So .. ... a mate of mine is a director of a lowland league club and at their recent meeting ..... one ian Maxwell turns up to plead with them to accept Brechin  they reject that and then one rod Petrie appears and offers to ‘ buy’ 100 tickets from each club if they support Brechin entry 

unbelievable 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

So .. ... a mate of mine is a director of a lowland league club and at their recent meeting ..... one ian Maxwell turns up to plead with them to accept Brechin  they reject that and then one rod Petrie appears and offers to ‘ buy’ 100 tickets from each club if they support Brechin entry 

unbelievable 

SFA, biggest bunch of charlatans in football

Apologies if I have missed something somewhere, but why are Brechin so desperate to be in the Lowland rather than the Highland League?:

As regards the best chance of re-ascending the pyramid, Kelty Hearts won against Brora, Edinburgh City came through reasonably recently and East Kilbride have come very close, so it seems that winning through in the Lowlands is at least equally difficult as winning through in the Highlands. 

As regards geographical proximity and travelling distance, the northeastern Highland League teams, of whom there seem to be a good number, are all reasonably close. I agree that the very northerly teams will be a fair hoof, but so would going to Lowland League teams south of the Central Belt, especially in the south west.

So what is their problem? Do Highlanders hate hedges?

4 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Apologies if I have missed something somewhere, but why are Brechin so desperate to be in the Lowland rather than the Highland League?:

As regards the best chance of re-ascending the pyramid, Kelty Hearts won against Brora, Edinburgh City came through reasonably recently and East Kilbride have come very close, so it seems that winning through in the Lowlands is at least equally difficult as winning through in the Highlands. 

As regards geographical proximity and travelling distance, the northeastern Highland League teams, of whom there seem to be a good number, are all reasonably close. I agree that the very northerly teams will be a fair hoof, but so would going to Lowland League teams south of the Central Belt, especially in the south west.

So what is their problem? Do Highlanders hate hedges?

My understanding is that most of Brechin's players  live in the Central belt, and being part time, will find it difficult to get time off work college etc to travel to Highland clubs midweek.

Being somewhat cynical,  I don't suppose the cash from the Erse Cheeks (for playing in the Lowland League) will go amiss either.  :head_ball:

Brechin's argument that their players are based in the Central Belt doesn't hold water. Clubs that are doing OK in League Two struggle to have players contracted into an ensuing season. Just why the club finishing up bottom of that division, having won two solitary games all season, would even want their players on longer contracts than their more successful competitors is a mystery.

East Kent Jag II's comment re the erse cheeks appears much nearer the mark. Of course it can be pointed out that Brechin's desire to play in the Lowland League precedes the colt teams intro. I don't think you'd have to be too cynical to believe the Brechin chairman was aware of the likelihood of the erse cheeks playing in that division many moons ago.

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

unbelievable 

100 tickets?  so tawdry.  sums up that lot perfectly.

10 hours ago, javeajag said:

unbelievable 

they are a tawdry sleekit underhand bunch - truly unbelievable in a believable way.

Henry MacLeish on the tTV earlier talking about a top to bottom review of the Scottish football structure - you know at which end you should start Henry.

11 hours ago, javeajag said:

unbelievable 

Football is either a business or it's not.

If it is, there are rules that are set and that should be followed.

This is quite clearly bare-faced bribery.

If it's supported by those in charge, then I'm not sure where that leaves us. 

19 hours ago, javeajag said:

unbelievable 

That is disgraceful behaviour by Petrie and Maxwell. I suspect they want Brechin in the lowland league so the old firm colts can count on Brechin's vote when a proposal is made to make the old firm colts a permanent feature and allow them to be promoted.

The reasons Brechin have declared of travel distance for their players looks nonsense. I would guess Brechin want to be in the same league as the old firm colts to make some money from the sectarian hordes.

Saw in the Press & Journal that the Highland Football League  Secretary Rod Houston said "Fixtures will be announced in due course once we know what Brechin City are doing. Everyone was content to leave them right now to lick their wounds because it will still be sore. The season starts on 24 July."

Looks like they will have a welcome in the hillside, and a fun time in the  HFL.   

Ha Ha!!

2 hours ago, laukat said:

That is disgraceful behaviour by Petrie and Maxwell. I suspect they want Brechin in the lowland league so the old firm colts can count on Brechin's vote when a proposal is made to make the old firm colts a permanent feature and allow them to be promoted.

The reasons Brechin have declared of travel distance for their players looks nonsense. I would guess Brechin want to be in the same league as the old firm colts to make some money from the sectarian hordes.

To be fair (not sure why I am) Brechin wanted in the Lowland Leagues last year before the colts business. Not sure why they want it and why both SFA and SPFL are willing to invest so much political capital, but I honestly don’t believe it is to do with the colts

Was the Petrie offer accepted? 

For football purposes  the line defining the 'Highland Area" was I understand determined informally by the Lowland & West of Scotland Leagues! They decided the land area north of the Tay was Highland! 

This conflicts with the historical and  geographical definition which draws a diagonal line from Dumbarton to, I think, Stonehaven  and which says the land mass lying West and North of this line is the Highlands! 

Of course those officials and bodies that run our football and make the rules didn't have the foresight, interest or wisdom to anticipate the problems that the more recent informal and rather arbitrary definition developed by the lower leagues could cause! 

So once again the football authorities are, when it suits them, trying to breach or bend their own rules even to the point of bribery! Disgraceful! 

On 5/30/2021 at 2:11 PM, javeajag said:

unbelievable 

Shameful; absolute banana republic shenanigans.

17 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Is this true?

Why do the SFA care about league business?

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt.

Your prerogative ......but I was told personally by a director of one of the clubs who was there .....he described it as bribery 

4 minutes ago, scotty said:

Don't the SFA have jurisdiction over the Highland and Lowland Leagues?

If i remember correctly, while listening to many hours on the radio during last years debacle it was said that the SFA ran the HL and LL. So yes you are correct.