Firhill Art

Jaggernaut

A friend just sent me this, which I've never seen before. Anybody know anything about it?

I like it, but there are a couple of anomalies, if (as I believe ) it's meant to show the early to mid-sixties.

But hey, it's art, and the artist can do what he likes. I still like it!

Anybody else spot those (to me) anomalies, or maybe others?

Maybe other folk will post examples of  "Firhill art." Our supporters are supposedly, after all, mostly student or retired arts and crafts types!

thumbnail_IMG_9635.jpg

29 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

A friend just sent me this, which I've never seen before. Anybody know anything about it?

I like it, but there are a couple of anomalies, if (as I believe ) it's meant to show the early to mid-sixties.

Maybe other folk will post examples of  "Firhill art." Our supporters are supposedly, after all, mostly student or retired arts and crafts types!

thumbnail_IMG_9635.jpg

Did the 105 trolleybus  (Queens Cross to Clarkson)  not go from Northpark St out onto Maryhill Road? Don't know, but don't believe that any trolleybus went up Firhill Road.

Whoops! I'm  wrong.  Just checked. The return journey from Clarkson DID come up Firhill  Road!!

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Correction

24 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Did the 105 trolleybus  (Queens Cross to Clarkson)  not go from Northpark St out onto Maryhill Road? Don't know, but don't believe that any trolleybus went up Firhill Road.

Whoops! I'm  wrong.  Just checked. The return journey from Clarkson DID come up Firhill  Road!!

Well done! I also didn't think there were trolley buses on Firhill Road, but you've solved that one. 

Artist 1, me nil.

There's (at least) one that I'm sure about, and no need to go back to the trolley bus era to spot it.

Edited by Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

thumbnail_IMG_9635.jpg

That is a cracking piece of art. Love it.

52 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

'65 Austin Cambridge would be my guess. 

And a long way from home. It was first registered in Brighton.

With the scarfs, did we ever play Brighton in the mid 60's ?

Going to be pedantic and say a Morris Oxford rather than an Austin Cambridge. Although nearly the same, the Austin had the name badge on the boot, above the number plate, while the Morris had it to the right, as in the painting.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

• 1 year later...

Because of their quietness,  trolley buses used to be known as "The silent death". - a term which might be applied to electric cars these days.

The saloon car heading down Firhill Road is probably  a Wolesley 16/60, judging by the 2-tone colour scheme, and the "C" registration is from 1965.

The invalid cars were made by a company called AC,  who also made sports cars, most notably the AC Cobra.

10 minutes ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Because of their quietness,  trolley buses used to be known as "The silent death". - a term which might be applied to electric cars these days.

The saloon car heading down Firhill Road is probably  a Wolesley 16/60, judging by the 2-tone colour scheme, and the "C" registration is from 1965.

The invalid cars were made by a company called AC,  who also made sports cars, most notably the AC Cobra.

Thought car might have been an Austin Cambridge or a Morris Oxford but I'd forgotten about Wolesleys. Right about the trolley buses. Nearly got knocked down by one in Cambridge St. 

1 hour ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Dionne Warwick was knocked down by a 'silent death' in West Nile Street missing her 1960s concert with the searchers and the isley brothers in the old odeon ...

On 7/25/2022 at 9:47 AM, robphil said:

Fabulous piece of art...my father and I used to travel to firhill on a trolley bus from muirend. We got off at queen's cross and jooked through the tenement back courts. painting evokes some lovely memories...

Where hundreds stopped for a pee on the way home after the game!

On 7/25/2022 at 1:19 PM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Wonder, when she recovered, if  she ever told that story to an audience and suggested changing the title of one of her Grammy-winning songs from “Don’t Make Me Over” to “Don’t KNOCK Me Over!”?

Do You Know the Way to Casualty?