Football's coming home

Sivad

One of the advantages Croatia has is that it has many players playing abroad. We seem to be so transfixed with our local and the English setup that players are not encouraged to develop that additional experience, and the English game, for all its financial attractions, is still to some extent based on fitness rather than footballing skills.

2 hours ago, Fearchar said:

One of the advantages Croatia has is that it has many players playing abroad. We seem to be so transfixed with our local and the English setup that players are not encouraged to develop that additional experience, and the English game, for all its financial attractions, is still to some extent based on fitness rather than footballing skills.

To take that further I've no idea if the Croatian players were as fit as ours but they wouldn't need to be.  They had roughly twice our possession and we know that the team chasing the ball tire that much quicker. Playing only three in midfield against a Croatian midfield containing Modric we were always going to lose out on possession. Can't help thinking that playing two up front was a mistake. That extra body in midfield could have made a difference. Besides it's not as if either of our strikers are must picks. Further, even allowing for injury, we're hardly short of capable midfielders.

I see little wrong with playing Tierney in a back three.  One proviso tho' being his two partners have to be rock solid central defenders. McTominay, I'm fairly certain can't be described as such. 

I find it strange that managers pick players and then play them out of position. Mc Tominay to me is one of the best midfielders in Britain and in this moment of time even better than the much lauded Gilmour. But Clarke plays him as a defender, and if you go through most of the games he has played you will find, that he could have done better at some of the goals we have lost.  Tierney's position is slightly different as he plays not the same but a similar role at Arsenal. Another point is that many of the goals scored in the Euro's start out wide with crosses into the box coming from the bye line and I think it would have been better if we had played a winger such as Forrest rather than another striker.

But as we lost 5 goals at home then this team cannot continue and changes must be made but that is Mr Clarke's problem