1st league fixture

Albert's Ghost

A great way to start the season with 3 points and unfurling the league flag. Yes the defence needs work, thought Bell was poor today, Holt put in a few good challenges. Graham and Rudden striking up a very good partnership. Good to speak to some fellow forum users before the game and after it.

• Like 2

Sneddon is not good enough again in particular 1st goal today also again no command of box, Holt clearly let him know he was to quiet just before half-time and there no7 Paton was target at every corner and we failed to mark him, he has scored a few already in cups so clearly he was target and Gibson caused us although mainly McKenna problems for big part of game. Still wins a win. 

• Like 1

We'll play better and not win this season but today was the type of game we'd have just have laid down to in the recent past.

Worried slightly that we're still experimenting with formations and need to use more width but we're supposed to be signing a wide player and Tiffoney will probably be ready to start next week

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Sigh of relief now that 3 points are in the bag. I don’t think that QotS will be among the best in this league so we will probably need to play better. Looks like this may be a very competitive league and I don’t see anyone running away with it.

I think Dunfermline and Killie will- they are already spending big

Positives for me were fans being back in the stadium, Graham/Rudden partnership, Mayo, who looked head and shoulders above any of our other defenders and getting the win after going behind. If there is a poorer team in the division than QoS I’ll be surprised. 532 in my opinion looked unfamiliar to the players with often no out ball for banzo etc. Play that way against the better teams and we’ll suffer. Not a fan of McKenna who seemed to lumber about all afternoon with detrimental consequences 

Edited by ironfist

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

I’m happy with how we played.. Really didn’t see why we took Turner and Rudden as off as I thought the were always our most creative/dangerous players. But we won so I’m happy and will keep my gub shut :head_ball:

Thought Turner was poor today (but he could be a prospect for us) and Rudden had blown a gasket after 60mins, to be fair to IMC he brought on Tiffoney who scored the winner..... and his Jagszone comments recognising we didn’t play well were spot on.. and hopefully some business taking place next week to strengthen that defence 

2 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

One positive worth mentioning- when we scored the third I was expecting a very tense final 5 minutes, but we saw out the game superbly and professionally 

Yeah - that impressed me too. I think our 3rd really deflated QOS as they had been the better team for most of the game.

8 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Yeah - that impressed me too. I think our 3rd really deflated QOS as they had been the better team for most of the game.

I thought the game more even than that- both teams had sustained periods on top, and I thought us more likely to score when we were on top than they were when they were on top. 

37 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Thought Turner was poor today (but he could be a prospect for us) and Rudden had blown a gasket after 60mins, to be fair to IMC he brought on Tiffoney who scored the winner..... and his Jagszone comments recognising we didn’t play well were spot on.. and hopefully some business taking place next week to strengthen that defence 

I think Turner will certainly have better games for us but I thought he looked dangerous in their final third always looking to make things happen.

It was good to be back at Firhill...and I welcomed the chance to boo Doncaster.

Queen of the South didn't look as if they will be one of the top teams in this Division but they had us pinned back and merited both their goals. We do look capable of scoring and we managed to do so at just the right times.

I don't think the structure of the side is right with the players available...5 at the back requires the full backs to be an attacking threat and I don't think McKenna or Foster fit the bill...though McKenna did have two assists.  Sneddon really should have saved the first goal,  Bell got away with 2 dreadful errors and I was disappointed with Docherty's contribution.

I would have liked to see us play higher up the pitch - we look to have a bit of invention but with no width, there were few options for Turner and Banzo.  Rudden seems to be a bit of a daftie but is a good partner for Graham...Tiffoney's pace and ability to take on defenders will be crucial.

So scope for improvement but potential too...and we're top of the League!

Today is the first time we've won our opening league fixture since  6th August 2016 (yes, 2016) when we beat Inverness  CT 2-0 at Firhill in the SPL.

McCall said earlier this week the he didn't  mind losing goals, as long as we scored more. I wish he wouldn't tempt fate like that. Not good for my mental state of mind.  Other defenders will get wise to Rudden, Graham and Tiffoney. We do need help in defence, so hopefully  some signings this week, although a wide player looks like first up. Bell was a talisman for our conclusion to the league last year, but unfortunately did look suspect today.

But three points, Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Great to be back and a win in the first game and top of the league all makes for a good Saturday night..  Down side is apart from Graham.Rudden. and Tiffany can anyone see where we are going to get goals from this season..Nobody else seams to be prepared to take a shot at goal....