1st league fixture

Albert's Ghost

My biggest disappointment  was actually Docherty also as someone else has mentioned. I thought he looked so slow on the ball at times that he slowed us down. I actually don’t agree with McCall saying we were poor but maybe he has bigger expectations than I do ..

I thought McKenna had a shaky start but improved as the game went on and won 2 headers that actually ended up winning the game for us.

Banzo played well and his ball through for Rudden who I thought was excellent today was lovely to watch on replay. Perfectly weighted and great to see Rudden knowing exactly where to put it.

Thought Mayo was Excellent considering he came into our squad a few days ago.. he won headers, made good interceptions and carried the ball out of defence very well also.. Pretty much the exact same I would say about Holt. 

Bell and Sneddon I thought looked a bit out ther depth .. and I’d have to say the same for Foster at times but He blows hot and cold and after we scored the third goal I felt he helped us time waste.

Brian Graham though I f*cking love this guy. His effort from the first whistle until last was outstanding. He pushed, he shoved and left the odd little elbow in. He bullied the queens defence and noised them up all day. I’m absolutely delighted we have him here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Today is the first time we've won our opening league fixture since  6th August 2016 (yes, 2016) when we beat Inverness  CT 2-0 at Firhill in the SPL.

McCall said earlier this week the he didn't  mind losing goals, as long as we scored more. I wish he wouldn't tempt fate like that. Not good for my mental state of mind.  Other defenders will get wise to Rudden, Graham and Tiffoney. We do need help in defence, so hopefully  some signings this week, although a wide player looks like first up. Bell was a talisman for our conclusion to the league last year, but unfortunately did look suspect today.

But three points, Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

I’d be happy to win 3-2 every week or 2 out of every 3 weeks.

I doubt that we’ll be promoted but I want to be entertained and see goals. That was an exciting enough game without much class(apart from the ancient Willie Gibson) so more of this please.

I don’t like 3 at the back unless we have wing backs who can play as wingers. Felt for McKenna and Foster who don’t suit that system.

Mayo needs to improve distribution but looks athletic.

The midfield 3 are too similar.  

A front 3 of Tiffoney, Graham and Rudden = goals.

Great to be back!

Been reflecting on the game during the drive home. 

Firstly, the team structure showed Mayo as the right back and McKenna as the right wide midfield! McKenna looked lost in this position and both he and Mayo struggled to cope with Gibson! In the second half both but particularly McKenna got closer to Gibson and pressured him constantly. No longer cutting through the  right side of our defence Gibson moved across the field to attack our left side where he came up Holt and Foster and as a result was forced to play more balls back and inside.  Although still a threat he wasnt the danger he was in the first half. 

My main worry is still our Midfield which seem to me to be playing reasonably well as individuals but not as a unit. Hence we tend to lose the midfield battle, get forced back too deep and our back 3 are largely unprotected and vulnerable.  I would really prefer us playing 433 or 442.  

I agree with comments about the first goal - Sneddon should have saved it! I thinking comments about Foster and the second goal are harsh. The goal had 'made on the training ground' all over it which gave Paton a half yard start on Foster! 

But wait a minute we won! Why, well Graham and Rudden for a start, McKenna growing into the game, the defence showing some resolve, the whole team retaining belief that they could still win even after losing the second goal - at that point I bet most fans thought the only winner was going to be QoS! 

Then their was Tiffoney! 

Last point when was the last time we saw a Thistle team play out the last ten minutes  and manage the game so effectively! 

Yes we need to play better, yes we need a recognised right back and perhaps a CH. But today was a good gutsy performance against a team that was well organised, moved the ball accurately and quickly, and had some clever players in Gibson, Connolly and Paton. 

And to finish - we are top of the league at least until tomorrow!! 

Have a good weekend. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Great to be back and a win in the first game and top of the league all makes for a good Saturday night..  Down side is apart from Graham.Rudden. and Tiffany can anyone see where we are going to get goals from this season..Nobody else seams to be prepared to take a shot at goal....

.Turner had one chopped off,  Graham’s 2nd was a rebound from a McKenna header and Mayo was very close to a goal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

The commentators felt that our goal that was disallowed should have possibly stood

i did think Foster should have possibly headed that second goal away - he barely appeared to jump

There was a deflection off a QOS player before getting to McKenna. In the past that would have stood. Has the offside rule changed ?

• Like 1

I'm not sure where that formation came from yesterday. It seemed the least likely to suit the players we have and its not something we've played in any pre-season games.

Since we signed Mayo I though we would go for a flat back 4 with Foster-Mayo-Bell-Holt

Sneddon should have done better with the QoS first goal. I would try Stone because Sneddon just doesn't seem to inspire confidence in the defence. I don't know if his communication is poor or because he made a mistake early on but it seems to be a recurring theme. There was clearly a mix up between Bell and Sneddon second half which QoS nearly should have taken advantage of.

On the first goal McKenna should also do better. Gibson turned him outside and inside and McKenna adopted the bodyshape of a centrehalf rather than force him wide in a way that a more natural rightback would do. In fairness to McKenna he got the assist for our 2 goals so he did contribute.

The second goal was frustrating. Mainly because you could see it coming. Howevert the exact circumstances were poor. I think its Graham who doesn't get close enough to the QoS player heading the ball it was really conceded because we went for a really strange way of covering the posts. Foster starts covering the near post and then as the corner arrives moves the to far post whilst Docherty drops to get closer to the near post. The end result was Foster doesn't get in position to stop the ball at the far post and if the header had gone near post Docherty wasn't getting to it either.

Its even stranger when you see that immediately preceeding the goal there was a corner from the opposite side and we did the same things but with Foster moving from near to far but then coming out to challenge for the ball. I think QoS spotted our inique way of defending the posts and exploited it.

The fact we did the same system twice suggest it was something the players were coached to do but its an extremly difficult system to execute and places a lot of emphasis on Fosters ability to read the corner.

15 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I thought the game more even than that- both teams had sustained periods on top, and I thought us more likely to score when we were on top than they were when they were on top. 

It just shows how we see games differently. I didn’t think we had any sustained pressure and our goals came from random attacks. I haven’t seen the stats on possession, shots etc so my perception may be way off the mark.

35 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It just shows how we see games differently. I didn’t think we had any sustained pressure and our goals came from random attacks. I haven’t seen the stats on possession, shots etc so my perception may be way off the mark.

I wouldn't trust the BBC too much but reflects how I saw it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57951141

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I can understand how you see the game this way and I would be inclined to agree with you.

I think in the first half  QoS had more possession, looked the better footballing and more dangerous side. However we also had our moments. The first 10 minutes but without actually creating anything. We also dominated (not sure this is the correct word) after we equalised and the QoS dominated the final 15 minutes of the half. So fairly even half but with QoS clearly looking the better  team. 

Second half was nearly all QoS with a 'here we go feeling' after they equalised.  We found a second wind for the final 15 minutes, got the winner and were very effective( for a  change) in playing the game to a conclusion. 

Queens will though be wondering how they lost that game as they did  IMO enjoy ball possession and territorial advantage!  But they didn't have a player called Graham! 

A final comment for this evening and probably on this game. 

I have just read the match report on the QoS website and there are several innuendo type comments about the referee' performance and his 'history with QoS! 

In contrast, except for Turner's disallowed goal, which I was too far away to comment on I hardly noticed him!

He kept the game flowing which surely suited QoS and wasn't taken in by reasonable physical contact which resulted in a player hitting the deck. 

I had more of an issued with the Assistant Ref on the JH S side of the park.  When we were struggling to clear our lines and Queens had the run of  4-5 corners - the final one leading to the Queens equaliser there was a challenge by Foster out near the touchline and the ball clearly came off the Queens player for a Jags throw in. The Assistant Ref awarded the throw in to QoS result final corner and goal! This very poor decision to my mind kept the pressure on the Jags when a correct decision would have enabled us to relieve the pressure by simply booting the ball up the park! 

Any thought on the Referee's performance. - was he a homer? 

There’s something about that city end goal that causes controversy! The old Dutd goal which went in our favour, the Camille Oponga OG, I’m sure we had a dodgy disallowed goal vs Livvy in the cup when we eventually won 2-1, then there’s the Doolan goal, the penalty we had awarded then disallowed vs qots ? 

It's not that long since our Abdul Osman just needed to be on the team sheet to earn a yellow card, so I tend to have some sympathy with clubs who feel they get the wrong end of the refereeing stick. Poor officiating, particularly with consistency, tends to be the norm. However on Saturday I thought the ref tried to let the game flow, wasn't over whistle happy and appeared to get the big decisions right. Albeit from my low expectation perspective I felt he did alright and certainly seemed fair enough.

I dunno, but for some reason Sneddon seems to be an easy whipping boy for quite a few folk on here. He had a couple of good stops on Saturday, again. Maybe he should have or could have stopped the first goal, which was a fast and swerving shot of the kind that beat world class keepers every week. Completely blameless for the second.

I wonder how many QoS fans are calling for their keeper to be dropped, given that he was beaten by a header at the narrowest of near-post angles (our first), then failed to hold or punch away a rebound off the post after his save (our second), then got beaten by a toe poke through his legs (our third).

Some people want to replace Sneddon by an OF loanee whose main interests are elsewhere. It kind of reminds me of the "foreigners-must-be-better" mentality that sees so many average players from other countries holding down places (and wages) in many teams for doing absolutely no better than home-grown players could do.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jags on tour said:

There’s something about that city end goal that causes controversy! The old Dutd goal which went in our favour, the Camille Oponga OG, I’m sure we had a dodgy disallowed goal vs Livvy in the cup when we eventually won 2-1, then there’s the Doolan goal, the penalty we had awarded then disallowed vs qots ? 

Haha, I watched on Youtube because for some reason I thought that that Dundee Utd one was at the north end, but I was wrong.  It's actually a pretty funny incident.

One for any referees on the forum. At the game I thought the disallowed goal was blatantly offside and the ref was correct to change what looked a complete howler by the linesman. 

Watching the replay it's clear the ball comes to the offside player from a QotS player who's blocked a shot. Should the fact that a defender has blocked the shot have played him onside? I genuinely don't know the answer to this. Offside law has been tweaked so often. 

17 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

One for any referees on the forum. At the game I thought the disallowed goal was blatantly offside and the ref was correct to change what looked a complete howler by the linesman. 

Watching the replay it's clear the ball comes to the offside player from a QotS player who's blocked a shot. Should the fact that a defender has blocked the shot have played him onside? I genuinely don't know the answer to this. Offside law has been tweaked so often. 

It's offside if the defender deliberately blocks a shot or the ball deflects off him. If he deliberately plays the ball (e.g., goes to control the ball but miscontrols it, or tries to pass or clear the ball and fluffs the pass/clearance), the player is played onside by this action.

I think in this case it is a blocked shot, so correctly disallowed for offside.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
typo

2 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

It's offside if the defender deliberately blocks a shot or the ball deflects off him. If he deliberately plays the ball (e.g., goes to control the ball but miscontrols it, or tries to pass or clear the ball and fluffs the pass/clearance), the player is played onside by this action.

See Lukaku's goal against Russia in the Euros for the onside version.

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

That seems to make sense. 

Would have to see the Lukaku goal again. I've a vague memory the Russian defender tried to play the ball rather than a straight block. 

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

That's as I understand it. As a generalisation in my mind it further complicates what should be a simpler ruling. Often a very fine line in interpreting if a defender played the ball or not. 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

86th minute penalty knocks us off top of the league.

Who was the ref in the Killy v Ayr game. He must have it in for us

Edit - Don Robertson and according to BBC it was never a pen !

Ref was complete homer. Ayr had a clear penalty turned down. The one he gave was off the defenders chest. Kilmarnock were the better side, Burke was excellent.