Rangers Friendly

Bobbyhouston

20 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Made up on the hoof. Depends what mood the government are in.

Not mood.  Depends where the pressure is coming from - from  hospitality, business,  medical experts and football authorities.  Problem is government trying to juggle between them all instead of taking an honest, simple line and sticking too it.

I noticed that Hugh Keevins in the Daily Wrecked said that journalists received an email last Tuesday stating that journalists were banned from tonight's game.  This was a joint statement from both clubs.  I understand the Glasgow Spongers desire to neutralise the press.  They have a big media presence, and both Ugly Sisters have long been doing the Scottish Football version of Donald Trump in trying to control journalist comment of their clubs.

What's in this for us?

19 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I noticed that Hugh Keevins in the Daily Wrecked said that journalists received an email last Tuesday stating that journalists were banned from tonight's game.  This was a joint statement from both clubs.  I understand the Glasgow Spongers desire to neutralise the press.  They have a big media presence, and both Ugly Sisters have long been doing the Scottish Football version of Donald Trump in trying to control journalist comment of their clubs.

What's in this for us?

You've seen the email? What, precisely, does it say?

5 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

You've seen the email? What, precisely, does it say?

Not being a journalist,  I'm  not privy to the club's  press statements.  Keevins said that he had received a one line communication stating that the press were not welcome at the game, and that was a joint statement from both  clubs.  I don't suppose you can get much more into a one line message.  I asked the question  what's in this for us, as I can understand Spongers playing this game, but why have we got involved?

46 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

A few hunlet loans if we play ball?

I have a feeling we will be signing Kennedy on loan from Rangers, McCall was again talking about him in the papers yesterday and it’s clear he has a great relationship with the coaches at Rangers including Gerrard.

I have no idea how good Kennedy will be though presumably if he made the UEFA youth team of the year he can’t be that bad

25 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Not being a journalist,  I'm  not privy to the club's  press statements.  Keevins said that he had received a one line communication stating that the press were not welcome at the game, and that was a joint statement from both  clubs.  I don't suppose you can get much more into a one line message.  I asked the question  what's in this for us, as I can understand Spongers playing this game, but why have we got involved?

You haven't seen it yet you have reached a very clear understanding of its meaning.

Here's another possible reason. This is the first time fans will have been to Firhill for over a year. There are strict protocols in place. Everyone at the club will be far too busy to have to deal with a few hacks (who will only be there to report on Rangers). We have asked Rangers to support us on this and they have obliged.

Perhaps your story is true, perhaps mine. Perhaps neither.

4 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

You haven't seen it yet you have reached a very clear understanding of its meaning.

Here's another possible reason. This is the first time fans will have been to Firhill for over a year. There are strict protocols in place. Everyone at the club will be far too busy to have to deal with a few hacks (who will only be there to report on Rangers). We have asked Rangers to support us on this and they have obliged.

Perhaps your story is true, perhaps mine. Perhaps neither.

My apologies for the delay in replying. I've been away from home.  I didn't think of your explanation, so it may well be that Mr Keevans is right,  or the club don't want journalists as the staff will be busy, or, as you say, neither.  Perhaps also both.

If the club did state their reason in their journalists' e.mail, then Me Keevans is being disingenuous, in which case I would hope that a twitter correction would sort that out.  If the club didn't mention their reason, then to me, that is a communication failure on their part, whether or not busy staff is the reason for the ban.  To say journalists are not welcome as we will have our hands full would have been perfectly acceptable to all, I'm sure.   Instead, suspicious journalists and confusion.

I'd like to find out the reason, and I've written to the club to try to find out why.  I await their reply, but without baited breath.

• Like 1

Just now, partickthedog said:

Defoe is the only Rangers player I recognise.  Rarely watch any highlights of their games so perhaps not surprising I have no idea who most of their players are.

Numbers 4, 5 and 9 (Defoe). Rest are high numbers.

Surely you would recognise Kieran Wright?

On 6/29/2021 at 8:53 AM, exiledjag said:

My Rangers friend told me on Monday, with a big smile on his face, his team where going to play a friendly against the 'mighty Partick Thistle' and that Gerrard intends to field his strongest team available! 

I told him he will need his strongest team! 

I am happy we are arranging such games. 

Has anyone noticed that our friendly games so far are with 'friendly clubs. That is with the exception of EK, games with clubs who like us have all had issues with the SPFL.  Is this coincidence, given we have all moved on? 

Where are the' friendly' games with the likes of Ross Co, St Mirren, Hibs, QoS, Raith, Dundee & Dundee Utd? 

Never known this mob to be friendly towards, well anyone to be fair!:shakeshout: