Lionel Messi

Jago1953

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

Has a Lionel ever played for Jags?  Thought this would make a nice homework project for someone tonight?  :thumbsup:

Lionel Weston (who was English, and I think an internationalist), played scrum half for the West of Scotland rugby team in the 1970s and would have worn a red and yellow hooped top. Is that close enough?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, elevenone said:

You win.

Wikipedia has confirmed my recollection. However, as a former prop forward (at a very low level), if I had known about his "often quoted remark", I would not have given him the oxygen of publicity on this forum.

Lionel Edward Weston (born 22 February 1947) played for the England rugby team.[1]

Life[edit]

Weston was born on 22 February 1947 at Wenlock in Shropshire.[2] He was educated at Bedford Modern School.[3]

Weston’s test debut was against France at Colombes on 26 February 1972.[1] He played one further game for England against Scotland at Murrayfield on 18 March 1972.[1] In terms of club rugby, Weston played for Bedford, West of Scotland F.C. and Rosslyn Park.[4] He is often quoted for his remark, ‘I don’t know why prop forwards play rugby’.[5]

On 17 May 2019, Weston was awarded the title of Friend of Buckingham.

29 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Wikipedia has confirmed my recollection. However, as a former prop forward (at a very low level), if I had known about his "often quoted remark", I would not have given him the oxygen of publicity on this forum.

Lionel Edward Weston (born 22 February 1947) played for the England rugby team.[1]

Life[edit]

Weston was born on 22 February 1947 at Wenlock in Shropshire.[2] He was educated at Bedford Modern School.[3]

Weston’s test debut was against France at Colombes on 26 February 1972.[1] He played one further game for England against Scotland at Murrayfield on 18 March 1972.[1] In terms of club rugby, Weston played for Bedford, West of Scotland F.C. and Rosslyn Park.[4] He is often quoted for his remark, ‘I don’t know why prop forwards play rugby’.[5]

On 17 May 2019, Weston was awarded the title of Friend of Buckingham.

The Adam Barton of rugby. Although Adam was not given the title Friend of Partick.

22 hours ago, elevenone said:

Has a Lionel ever played for Jags?  Thought this would make a nice homework project for someone tonight?  :thumbsup:

No record of a Lionel playing for Thistle but three have played against us:-

Lionel Prat Le Havre 25/7/1998

Lionel Djebi-Zadio several times for ICT

Lionel Ainsworth several times for Motherwell

• Like 1