Challenge Cup draw

Albert's Ghost

I think it fair to point out that the Cup was sponsored last season, and this season  by James Anderson and another mystery benefactor.  I don't  believe that this was anybody called Doncaster. No games were played last season, but IIRC payments  were made to clubs and their associated trusts.  The idea was to support clubs and their community trusts, and in recognition of the part played by the trusts during the pandemic.

26 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I think it fair to point out that the Cup was sponsored last season, and this season  by James Anderson and another mystery benefactor.  I don't  believe that this was anybody called Doncaster. No games were played last season, but IIRC payments  were made to clubs and their associated trusts.  The idea was to support clubs and their community trusts, and in recognition of the part played by the trusts during the pandemic.

Thanks, didn't realise that. Still ironic that SPFL and trust in the same title.

• Like 1

SPFL have now mapped out the complete draw like Wimbledon.

If we win the 2nd round match we play the winners of QOS or Broomhill or Clyde at home (if I understand the wiring diagram!)

If we win that, the qtr final draw would be against the winners of Montrose or Ross County or Stirling Albion v Celtic Colts or Annan or Morton. Looks like at home.

Lost the will to live at that point but if you want to try to work out who we'll get in the final, see the SPFL official website.

Haud me back. Canny wait (not).

• 5 weeks later...

Jeezuz, is one of our aims this season really to try to win a trophy for which a contender is a "Motherwell B" team?

I kind of hope we put out a "B" team of our own for this piece of chintz, and that includes in the final, if we have the misfortune (again, however unlikely) of getting there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Jeezuz, is one of our aims this season really to try to win a trophy for which a contender is a "Motherwell B" team?

I kind of hope we put out a "B" team of our own for this piece of chintz, and that includes in the final, if we have the misfortune (again, however unlikely) of getting there.

Why not? It's realisitically one of the only real chances of us getting to a Cup Final, and even then we've only been there once in at least 20 attempts.

I'm not sure if you were there as you spend a lot of time abroad, but I really enjoyed the experience of the final, had lunch and drinks at Firhill, then got a bus to the match, returned back to Firhill for more drinks. Met Jags legends during and after the match such as Mr McParland, Denis McQuade, Frank Coulston and several others of the 71 team and beyond. Even had a few beers and got the bus into the town with the one & only Alex Rae (what a character). The only thing that spoiled the day was the result. I'd love a repeat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Why not? It's realisitically one of the only real chances of us getting to a Cup Final, and even then we've only been there once in at least 20 attempts.

I'm not sure if you were there as you spend a lot of time abroad, but I really enjoyed the experience of the final, had lunch and drinks at Firhill, then got a bus to the match, returned back to Firhill for more drinks. Met Jags legends during and after the match such as Mr McParland, Denis McQuade, Frank Coulston and several others of the 71 team and beyond. Even had a few beers and got the bus into the town with the one & only Alex Rae (what a character). The only thing that spoiled the day was the result. I'd love a repeat.

Agree, was a great day and you shouldn't be in sport unless you're trying to win.

We are where we are at the moment and this represents a great chance for us to win something meaningful.

And I do think it is meaningful because there will be many other teams trying to win it also.

Hope we hump Motherwell B if we play them.

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Assuming it's Sat 4th (3pm KO) I had a look at public transport for this game. Looks like supporters bus or private motor only feasible options.

It's probably likely to be Sunday 5th, as in previous years, as there is Scotland game at Hampden on Saturday 4th

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

I am auld enough to have been at the 71 league cup final. Out of all the games i attended with my late son, the challenge cup final is the only one that could be called a national final, so that game will always have extra special meaning for me. The Wednesday following that final was another great night as that was the Morton game. Another game which i enjoyed with young Robert and my brother in law, who is a Morton fan. Don't think he enjoyed it as much as we did. :whistling:

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

This is one of those perennial topics that really divides Jags opinion. I've probably been at most (if not all) of our Challenge Cup games in the last ten years (including Jags Colt fixtures) yet I retain little interest in the competition itself. That maybe makes little sense but I can't help the way I feel. Conversely I possibly get more miffed than most when we don't progress in the League Cup. 

As for when we reached the final, good day or not, we were lucky that it didn't impact on events three days later. We didn't play that great against Morton and were to a degree lucky they froze that night.  

• 2 weeks later...