Jags v Dumbarton

elevenone

15 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I know McCall said that he takes this trophy seriously.  But does he? Or is it just glorified friendlies?

I've reckoned since the first defeat v Dunfermline that the manager doesn't think we have any chance because of that and is playing to give players game time rather than get through the league section.  

1 minute ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Pretty damn good so far for the big man.  Winning mentality.

This and a bit more.

He's been a revelation - even more so since Zak found his goal mojo too.

Two strikers firing after years of one up front is so refreshing to see.

Now if we could just sort out the defence..................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

I've reckoned since the first defeat v Dunfermline that the manager doesn't think we have any chance because of that and is playing to give players game time rather than get through the league section.  

In my view the manager is correct to give as many players as he can game time. 

Mc Call thinks that the Championship is wide open and again I agree with him. Therefore it's important to get off to a good start and to have as many players fit and ready to go as possible. 3 friendlies and a couple of weeks training won't achieve this. 

On the plus side our two main  Strikers are doing well and have scored all of our goals. 

Our midfield with Docherty in there looks strong. 

On the negative we should be looking for more goals and from other players. 

I am sure the defence, very good last season, will come onto form once the manager decides on his best back line which for me is Foster, McKenna, Bell and Holt - at least until Brownlie is fit! 

I also hope O'Ware comes good but it looks like his injury has sapped all his confidence. 

At least we are doing better than Kilmarnock and they don't have a St Mirren or Dunfermline in their group! 

Lot of misplaced passes tonight plus some poor decision making in forward areas. Thought McIver was our best player on the park (certainly in the 1st half). Ironic as he was the one player played out of position until later on. 

Not sure why the ref was getting so much stick. He certainly wasn't whistle happy and seemed fairly consistent. Tried to let the game flow. Indeed his leniency may have spared Foster a straight red and maybe the Dumbarton keeper as well.

We won’t get away with playing a 433 in the championship, it worked last year because all the other teams were p/t and playing 3 games a week, still think we need a right sided midfielder as we will need to go 442 at some point. Looks like IM was trying MacIver out on the right side of midfield tonight, I like him and he’s busy but I just fear he’s another Lewis Mansell/Alex Jones. We’re going to need a few bodies in, a right sided full back, right sided midfielder, a centre back and a centre forward.

2 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Our midfield is hardly in the game. Tiffoney is excellent, as usual, but Turner is lightweight in central midfield, while Bannigan trails behind play, barely uses his right foot and can't tackle. A really soft centre. All this emphasis on wing play is archaic. It took I don't know how many tries to cross from the right until one of the strikers (Graham) headed the ball into the net.

Not seen an indication that Turner is lightweight at all in fact at both Dunfermline and Airdrie he seemed more than happy to get stuck in, was not bullied off the hall and as Airdrie fans acknowledged pretty much dragged them onto a promotion charge 

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

What was the spontaneous clap for?

A popular Jags fan that died a few days ago, known as Arnie. I believe the clap was in the 57th minute so I assume that was his age. His death was mentioned on the official site and Facebook. RIP

21 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Rather concerning to see Tiffoney going off clutching his leg.

All our creativity comes from him. 

Nobody gave Ocholi the ball. He looked useful on meagre rations.

I never noticed that with Tiffoney but certainly Sena went off injured. 

8 minutes ago, jaggy said:

A popular Jags fan that died a few days ago, known as Arnie. I believe the clap was in the 57th minute so I assume that was his age. His death was mentioned on the official site and Facebook. RIP

Thank you for letting me know. I had seen the mention on the official website, but did not immediately connect it with the clap. However, I guessed that it was something of this nature, so joined in enthusiastically. Will be thinking of his family.