St Mirren vs Thistle

Lenziejag

From the Sun

"JAGS EYE GERS DUO

Partick Thistle are 'close' to a deal for Rangers youngster Lewis Mayo and the Jags are also interested in Jake Hastie, it's being reported.

Mayo has previously spent time on loan at Firhill, making a short-term move in January 2020.

The defender spent last season on loan at Dunfermline.

Winger Hastie is also said to be on Thistle's radar.

Hastie earned a move to Rangers after bursting onto the scene at Motherwell but he never forced his way into Steven Gerrard's first-team plans."

Re Hastie. I don't see much wrong, in fact I kinda welcome the manager making a wildcard signing. Besides a loan signing is less of a gamble. Senior players could be more problematic, there's the risk they could be disruptive, but Hastie's still relatively young. Could be a great addition to the squad. He's gotta a lot to do to regain the favour of his parent club and could bust a gut with us to prove his worth. Of course we could be talking about another Stevie Lennon. As I say nothing wrong with having one wildcard signing. 

I think Sevco want rid of Hastie whereas Mayo may be someone they think still has a future.

They dropped Hastie into their colts team rather than giving him any time in the friendlies and he'll be on a decent wage which all suggest they want to find a way out. Hastie is 22 years old so Sevco and has 2 years left on his contract. I think that means he can leave at 24 without Sevco having any entitlement to a fee. Conversely Sevco won't get a fee for a player sitting in their colts.

That will probably mean they want to put him on loan and hope he attracts some bidders but we and other clubs wanting to take him on loan wouldn't pick up enough of his wages to release sevco from the financial burden. I wonder if Sevco might offer Hastie a payoff and we sign him permanent with Sevco getting a % of any future transfer fee?

Agree with @lady-isobel-barnett that he looks well worth a punt. His early form at Motherwell looked really positive and he fits the general mould of McCall midfield/ attack signings i.e. younger players looking for a second chance

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We need them. The League Cup campaign was far from encouraging. Leaky defence and predictable in attack didn't fill me with much confidence.

Saturday will be a big marker on our ambitions for this season.

I doubt it's that much arguable anyway but I believe poor starts to a league campaign have been a drawback year on year since our promotion season almost a decade ago. Like everyone else on here I obviously didn't attend Sunday's game. But judging on the three previous league cup games and TV coverage yesterday I'd say we don't look like we're set up to hit the ground running on Saturday. In fact I've seen better prepared squads come an early cropper in recent years.

Tempered against my pessimism is a belief we've a relatively benign season start. Perhaps we can amass enough points in the early stages without playing that great? Stark reality tho' is we've underperformed in the League Cup group stages. And even if you view these fixtures as no more than some sort of "competitive friendlies" I can't see how you can argue that the end product has been anything approaching satisfactory. 

Gut feeling is we'll assemble a squad too good to be relegated but not joiny up early enough to seriously challenge for promotion.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I doubt it's that much arguable anyway but I believe poor starts to a league campaign have been a drawback year on year since our promotion season almost a decade ago. Like everyone else on here I obviously didn't attend Sunday's game. But judging on the three previous league cup games and TV coverage yesterday I'd say we don't look like we're set up to hit the ground running on Saturday. In fact I've seen better prepared squads come an early cropper in recent years.

Tempered against my pessimism is a belief we've a relatively benign season start. Perhaps we can amass enough points in the early stages without playing that great? Stark reality tho' is we've underperformed in the League Cup group stages. And even if you view these fixtures as no more than some sort of "competitive friendlies" I can't see how you can argue that the end product has been anything approaching satisfactory. 

Gut feeling is we'll assemble a squad too good to be relegated but not joiny up early enough to seriously challenge for promotion.  

Totally agree with this. 5th to 7th will probably be our best this season. Hopefully better, but I don't expect it.