Brian Graham

Barney Rubble

Agree with all of the above. Graham really plays for the jersey and for me that's all any fan can ask of a player.  He showed this when in the second half he lost the ball and chased  back 15/20 yards contesting possession with the Queens player until he won the ball back! Fantastic effort for the team! 

I would like to make a comment though and it's not a criticism of Graham. I feel that 2 up front doesn't really work and that Graham is frequently left on his own and out numbered.  If we are going to persist with this formation then Rudden is going to have to play closer to Graham and the two wide players are going to have to get up and down the park quicker. 

The answer for me is a front 3 of Graham, Rudden and Tiffoney. 

I think such a formation would bring out more from our Strikers and especially Rudden without restricting Graham. 

Just a thought and yes we are very fortunate to have Graham. I think he will be at Firhill for sometime to come  as a player and the Manager of PT Ladies team.

9 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Agree with all of the above. Graham really plays for the jersey and for me that's all any fan can ask of a player.  He showed this when in the second half he lost the ball and chased  back 15/20 yards contesting possession with the Queens player until he won the ball back! Fantastic effort for the team! 

I would like to make a comment though and it's not a criticism of Graham. I feel that 2 up front doesn't really work and that Graham is frequently left on his own and out numbered.  If we are going to persist with this formation then Rudden is going to have to play closer to Graham and the two wide players are going to have to get up and down the park quicker. 

I think such a formation would bring out more from our Strikers and especially Rudden without restricting Graham. 

Just a thought and yes we are very fortunate to have Graham. I think he will be at Firhill for sometime to come  as a player and the Manager of PT Ladies team.

Rud and Graham combined well for 1st 2 goals.

There we’re 2 or 3 occasions when Rudden knocked the ball to the front post while Graham lurked at the back for another cross.

The answer is either to play Tiffoney or an attacking mid who bursts into the box like Lampard(but we don’t have such a player).

10 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Thinking along the same lines. McCall has previously said that he favours a system that includes a right sided wide mid playing down the left (Tiffoney) with a leftie playing wide right (still to be signed?). That makes sense as we don't have attacking full backs as such and we have to find width from somewhere. That clearly rules out playing two upfront if you consider Docherty, Bannigan Turner/Smith as automatic starters.  

I'd be shocked if McCall didn't start each match just now with both Rudden & Graham. So, yes, a front three of Rudden-Graham-Tiffoney makes a lot of sense. Turner may then have to provide a bit more width down the right to allow Rudden to get closer to Graham.  Problem, fortunately a good problem, will be if/when we sign the left sided wide mid. Till then I'd definitely favour a 4-3-3 over the likes of Saturday's 5-3-2.

I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed when Graham signed. He looked like just another journeyman coming to extend his career. I have to admit that (for once) I was wrong. Not only is he far more of a goal threat than I could ever have hoped for, he is absolutely committed to the club and gives 100% every game. A great player to have and probably a horrible one to play against.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed when Graham signed. He looked like just another journeyman coming to extend his career. I have to admit that (for once) I was wrong. Not only is he far more of a goal threat than I could ever have hoped for, he is absolutely committed to the club and gives 100% every game. A great player to have and probably a horrible one to play against.

This is exactly how i felt when he signed. Again i am happy to be proven wrong. His work ethic is not in doubt as he can be in attack when required, but also in defence when required. I am sure he says in the dvd about last season he had offers to go elsewhere but chose to stay, so he is also very committed to the club as well. Him and Rudden have struck up a very good partnership and his goals on Saturday were scored by a stricker knowing what position to be in the box when the ball comes over. A mention for Rudden as well, although he was not on the score sheet on Saturday he had an excellent game Unlike @Dick Dastardly i have been wrong more than once.:whistling:

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 11:29 PM, Weebaw1 said:

Rud and Graham combined well for 1st 2 goals.

There we’re 2 or 3 occasions when Rudden knocked the ball to the front post while Graham lurked at the back for another cross.

The answer is either to play Tiffoney or an attacking mid who bursts into the box like Lampard(but we don’t have such a player).

I wondered if this point would be raised and yes you are accurate regarding the first goal - Rudden Cross, Graham header. 

Not so accurate for the second goal - Rudden cross McKenna header, keeper save onto post, Graham rebound for goal. 

However this is a minor point of detail. My main point is we want both Strikers scoring lost of goals. This isn't going to happen with Rudden playing out on the left! Therefore Graham & Rudden playing closer together with Tiffoney supplying from either wide position or through the middle as the flow of the game dictates! 

Result Graham has someone (Rudden) close by to whom he can lay off or pass to or who can give him support! This will also tie up 3 defenders who will not therefore be able to move forward  to support their midfield. Add Tiffoney and one or two 'quick' wide player (midfielder or wing back) and IMO we have a winning recipe!